Niwalker MM15 Problem

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
Hello my friends....I just received a new Niwalker MM15 from Going Gear and I tried to screw the handle into the body and there appears to be no threads for the tiny set screws to thread into. Has anyone else who bought this light had the same problem? I don't know if it's common or if I just got unlucky with my light. I sent a message to Going Gear and will wait for a reply hopefully tomorrow. It's a bummer to spend $200+ on a flashlight and have quality control problems like this. I did take a zebralight sc31 to look into the holes where the screws should go into and I don't see any threads there. Only a drilled-out hole with black anodizing but no threading. :shakehead Hope to send it back and get a better one. Love all you guys and gals here. Such a cool forum and I love to spend "too much" time browsing around here looking for valuable information. You all rock!!! Please let me know if you have had the same problem as me. I might just be a "one in a million" example or maybe this is a more common problem? Any comments are appreciated!! :thanks:

ven

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear,i have been issue free and luckily you bought from going gear and from what i have read your with one of the best:) Sounds like "mr tap de thread" was working on a Friday,thinking about other things,QC issues can happen on any light although that does not help you .

All will be sorted soon,i have a feeling though you will get the new one,fit the handle,try it and decide its better without. I did.............its a little power house and gets warm quick,i trust my hand to tell me rather than rely on a step down............with handle on its hard to tell............

Also imo again,the handle is too small,its not comfortable unless you have a 3yr old hands............

:thumbsup:

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I even got a message from going gear!!! :wave: I got a message earlier from Chris and I think that your company has GREAT customer service. I really appreciate the timely response and good service. Keep it up guys. Also thanks for the message ven. :wave: I will get the flashlight packed tonight and in the mail on Saturday. Thanks again!! :D

Sonny81

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! My Nova seems to have another, well, problem. The red (low batt) light of the switch comes on everytime I switch to "turbo-mode". Everytime! The batteries I'm using are high-quality 3200mAh, protected, from keeppower (no cheap crap for 1$ apiece...) And fully charged as well, of course.
Is the behaviour of the indicator normal? I'm not worried at all about malfunction or so but want to know, though. Thank you.
P.S. I recently watched the goinggear.com Video-Review of the MM15 and, during the outdoor test, you can see the switch turning red in turbo-mode.:eek:oo:

Last edited:

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! My Nova seems to have another, well, problem. The red (low batt) light of the switch comes on everytime I switch to "turbo-mode". Everytime! The batteries I'm using are high-quality 3200mAh, protected, from keeppower (no cheap crap for 1$ apiece...) And fully charged as well, of course.
Is the behaviour of the indicator normal? I'm not worried at all about malfunction or so but want to know, though. Thank you.
P.S. I recently watched the goinggear.com Video-Review of the MM15 and, during the outdoor test, you can see the switch turning red in turbo-mode.:eek:oo:

I know that you say that the batteries are high quality but I read on Going Gear this message about it. "Please note that the MM15 requires high-drain 18650s to work properly. Using poor quality or low capacity batteries can cause the light to malfunction or not run in high output modes. For best performance, use the Olight 3400 mAh or Eagletac 3400 mAh 18650s that we have verified to work with the MM15." Not sure if this is even your problem but maybe try this fix? It could be the light too but I think I would try different batteries first. Depending on if you have time to send the light back. Maybe contact the company that you bought from. At least you will have a record of when you contacted them about the problem so even if new batteries don't work at least you contacted them and it's on record. Maybe your batteries are not high drain or high enough capacity? Not sure about the video though...maybe his batteries were low when he did the outdoor test. When he has the light on turbo mode indoors the button is still green. Hope this helps.

ven

Flashaholic
Out of interest have you tried IMR cells in your mm15,just a thought as its a big ask still at over 5000lm,it maybe asking a lot of the cell and getting close to the A rating.

vtc4 cells are a cheap option(vtc5 are hard to get) or efest 35a cells..........

I have only used IMR cells and mine is 7500lm,no red light but a hand warmer at 30 seconds :laughing:

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity what flashlight do you have that is 7500 lumens? :eeksign: :huh:lovecpf

ven

Flashaholic
outdoorguy,

If its 7500 lumens otf, then it is an MM15vn. Sweet lights! I've got one also. All of Vinh's modified lights are very special!

+1 and spot on:)

Little tip mr outdoor,not sure which model you have but the centre post gets damaged by removing/replacing cells,also take care and shorter IMR make this easier as can catch on sides of the head damaging the wraps..........

So originally i used some electrical insulation tape(worked) but a member had a better idea so i fitted a straw

KeepPower IMR 2100 work good too

Just fit so much easier,of course learn run times so dont rely on PCBs as no protection..........MM is always handy:)

Last edited:

Sonny81

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies! It seems to be a problem with the lamp itself. As I'm using keeppower 3200 (pcb) and those ARE high-quality cells. In the german "equivalent" of this forum, several owners of the MM15 had the same issue. I will try other cells, though. Even unprotected, maybe the NCR18650B from Panasonic... We'll see!

Sonny81

Newly Enlightened
Out of interest have you tried IMR cells in your mm15,just a thought as its a big ask still at over 5000lm,it maybe asking a lot of the cell and getting close to the A rating.

vtc4 cells are a cheap option(vtc5 are hard to get) or efest 35a cells..........

I have only used IMR cells and mine is 7500lm,no red light but a hand warmer at 30 seconds :laughing:

No IMR. The seller stated that the the 3200 keeppower are on Panasonic ICR cells. I trust him.

The seller of the flashlight said, the IMR cells could be the problem. They tested the 3400 keeppower and 3400 olight and they're working well. I will get some of those and test it.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
No IMR. The seller stated that the the 3200 keeppower are on Panasonic ICR cells. I trust him.

The seller of the flashlight said, the IMR cells could be the problem. They tested the 3400 keeppower and 3400 olight and they're working well. I will get some of those and test it.

What rating A wise are the KP cells? i just have a feeling on turbo its asking too much.
IMR cells should not be a problem,these are used in high A devices and vary from 10A up to 35A ,these are good cells and shorter towards the 66mm length so also aids fitting them in the "not perfect designed" carrier for 69-70mm protected cells(just example)

Panasonic PFs would be a good happy medium............imo

Either way go with what works for you:thumbsup:

outdoorguy82

Newly Enlightened
+1 and spot on:)

Little tip mr outdoor,not sure which model you have but the centre post gets damaged by removing/replacing cells,also take care and shorter IMR make this easier as can catch on sides of the head damaging the wraps..........

So originally i used some electrical insulation tape(worked) but a member had a better idea so i fitted a straw

KeepPower IMR 2100 work good too

Just fit so much easier,of course learn run times so dont rely on PCBs as no protection..........MM is always handy:)

Thanks for the tip Ven. I'll try that when I get the new light from gg. :)

Sonny81

Newly Enlightened
Update: After charging, the batt indicator does completely ok. :oops: Maybe the first time the batteries weren't fully charged or whatever...anyway, thank you all for the help!

ven

Flashaholic
Update: After charging, the batt indicator does completely ok. :oops: Maybe the first time the batteries weren't fully charged or whatever...anyway, thank you all for the help!

I presume you just fitted new batteries without charging them??? If so batteries(cells) are stored at around 40% charge so 3.6v ish and require charging before use. This goes with any future purchases of cells(li ions).

Glad sorted:thumbsup: and thanks for update.