Millite Finger Light

ronniepudding

Enlightened
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128481197@N04/15547792027/

I received this "finger light" in error from an online vendor, and I will be sending it back to them shortly... however, I like the concept and am curious if anyone knows of another -- hopefully more reasonably priced and higher quality -- light along these lines. The few buyer reviews I was able to find are strangely glowing, in light of the IMHO very poor build quality and $50+ price tag. Seems like it's a specialty item for aviators, available with red or blue LEDs to preserve night vision, etc. I got the "white" LED, which looks to be a cheap, blue-tinted 5mm emitter behind a plastic optic. The tint and beam is a more focused version of the freebie keychain/coincell lights I regularly receive along with every order I place. It runs on 3xLR44 batteries, has three modes (low, lower, and slow-flashing beacon). The I'm not bashing the low output, since the use-case is reading maps, finding controls, etc. in an enclosed cockpit where you don't want to dazzle yourself... but for a light this dim, why include a beacon mode? :shrug: To top it off, PWM for the lowest mode is the slowest I've ever seen. :thumbsdow The body of the light is a plastic tube with a rubber boot enclosing the whole thing, and a plastic tailcap with a spring loosely pushed into place. All of which would be fine if it cost $5... but at $50 I just don't get it. Perhaps there's a military pilot on the forum who can enlighten me.

On the plus side, the rubber body and velcro, adjustable 'ring' are effective and comfortable. I think this TYPE of light would be useful to keep in the glove box for a passenger to read maps while driving at night, finding stuff that's fallen under the seat, and in a pinch, changing a tire. It might also have utility for repair people who want to be able to keep both hands free, but still need to peer into computer cases, electrical enclosures, etc. and who for some reason are opposed to wearing a headlamp. The only other light I've seen like this one is a see-thru plastic child's toy that's even lower quality, but costs almost nothing and so is disposable.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bumped into this same light a few days ago via amazon. I can look at the pic and tell it was a no go.....

There are other options like over @ Maratac, but they are just simple non waterproof finger lights. No need for WP if your inside a plane right?

You know who should build one? Photon Light, they have the light in covert style that projects the beam straight forward. From what I have read they are rather robust and somewhat water resistant. All they need to do is add a comfy suspender weight strap to hold the light on your finger........ Done.

EDIT EDIT EDIT : They already have it! Photon Smart Grip Finger Fastener $3.95.

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
They already have it! Photon Smart Grip Finger Fastener $3.95.

Hard to see in the picture, but that looks pretty reasonable. I have no experience with Photon lights... I'll have to look them up. As above, I've got more coin cell keychain lights than I can use, so paying $15 for one isn't immediately appealing. ;)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't have one but Amazon has great reviews. I've only read positives about Photon Light. Just make sure you buy a legit model, there are a lot of fakes on fleabay and whatnot.

When in doubt just buy direct from Photon Light. Couple extra bucks, but you get a lifetime warranty and piece of mind.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to see in the picture, but that looks pretty reasonable. I have no experience with Photon lights... I'll have to look them up. As above, I've got more coin cell keychain lights than I can use, so paying $15 for one isn't immediately appealing. ;)

These are NOT typical keychain lights, they have multiple models with a bunch of features and are US made. They have one model for $10 + the strap, your looking at $14 for a solid setup.

You could find $14 in your couch cushions / junk drawers / moms piggy bank ect..

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are NOT typical keychain lights, they have multiple models with a bunch of features and are US made. They have one model for $10 + the strap, your looking at $14 for a solid setup.

You could find $14 in your couch cushions / junk drawers / moms piggy bank ect..

I have had a Photon Freedom Micro Light on my keychain for years. It is by far the best of that type of light. While I carry all kinds of lights, from big to small, I always have that Photon Freedom on my keychain, and it gets more use than any of my other lights because it is ALWAYS there, no matter what I'm wearing. Literally disappears in any pocket. I wouldn't be without one.

Battery Junction has the Photon Freedom on sale right now for $8.95!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using Photon lights on and off since the mid '90s. They are great for fastening to the zipper pull on a coat or jacket so that there is always a light around, as well as the usual key chain uses. I currently have a few Photon Freedom Micros doing the same duty, with the clips that come with them standing by in my BOB. Still just as good as ever.
At least when they first started, LRI would have people who lived in the area near them assemble the lights at home as a cottage industry. I don't know if they still do that or not, but thought it was kind of neat at the time.