*NEW* Thrunite TN15

kj2

Flashaholic
Thrunite posted this light, on Facebook. The TN15, some sort of successor of the TN12.

2psgmwy.jpg
24vqjyb.jpg
11lokjl.jpg
2a7djdh.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ThruNite

No specs mentioned yet.

jfk

Newly Enlightened
Looks awesome. Something to replace my crappy 5.11 rechargeable light.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an xm-l2. I don't know why the picture is like that...

... Or, wait is it? Under the features it says it's using an xm-l2 and under specs it does say xm-l. Weird. Surely there is no way they will release a brand new light using the older xm-l.

So beyond the remote switch this seems like a less tank-like Catapult v5? Why are they billing this as a more powerful TN12... uh.... what?

Last edited:

Thacker

Newly Enlightened
I zoomed in on the picture:
9vOd5aS.png

Definitely an XM-L.

That exact stock image is in the bottom right of the main listing pic for each neutral Thrunite on Amazon. Makes the two selection "buttons" different when there's more than one tint option. I don't think it's intended as an actual representation, but simply to differentiate between cool and neutral.

Same image with the neutral tn12, ti3, etc...

Last edited:

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
does not work on the tn12

Ah, bummer. Would be nice to have a generic remote switch that would work w/ different flashlights. Any idea why it doesn't fit? Tail cap on the switch too big around, too deep, thread pitch, etc? I'm guessing the body of TN-15 is standard 25.4mm diameter.

gafirefighter

Newly Enlightened
I really like the light, and will more than likely end up with one eventually. It does seem like a large light for the output though. I also think the remote switch would be more useful on a light with a slightly smaller head.

Adam

Cinthedark

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

This is my first post on CPF so please don't flame the newbie if I mess up.

Having just taken delivery of my new TN15, I'd just like to dispel a few myths which are starting to creep in here and help out by giving a little insight to this light (as it appears that nobody else has bought one as yet due to the distinct lack of reviews or comments anywhere on the web, let alone here at CPF).

Firstly, I can confirm that it is indeed an XML-L2 emitter - the image Ryp has zoomed in on is a standard graphic Thrunite use to denote 'neutral white' on all their lights (go to any of their lights which come in both flavours and you'll see this image on the neutral white versions and not on the cool whites).

Secondly, unfortunately the remote switch does not work on the TN12 2014 (which I also have). Strangely, although the standard switch tailcap is slightly longer on the TN15 it does actually fit the TN12 and vice versa but the remote tailcap does not. On closer inspection I noticed that unlike on the TN12 the threads on the TN15 are not square cut, so the remote tailcap must be machined differently to the switch tailcap.

Thirdly, it does work with both one or two 18650s.

So, let me just say I love this flashlight! Ok, now that's out of the way let me be a little more objective. It's clear now why they call this the TN12s big brother because apart from the significantly larger head they are the same - they have the same UI, the same number of modes; the same steps in luminosity between modes, the same emitter and the same body and tailcap design, it just throws a hell of a lot further due to its large, deep reflector!
The beam pattern has a very well defined spot with a lovely smooth, artefact-free spill which is still wide and bright enough to usefully illuminate the periphery of the main beam.
With the extension tube in place and running on two 18650s this light is comfortable to hold and well balanced, but here's the thing, take off the extension tube and you've got a real thrower that can run on just one 18650 and actually fit in your pocket without sticking out! [No, I still wouldn't recommend EDCing it - it's head is way too big and heavy for that!] In this configuration, although now obviously head heavy, it is still really comfortable to hold (more so IMO).

After I bought my TN12 2014, which I also love and is very nearly almost my 'perfect' EDC, I really wanted a thrower. Initially I was tempted by the TN11sV2 as, at a push, it too could be EDCd. Then I decided I didn't need to EDC a thrower and figured if I'm gonna get one, might as well get a proper one (don't get me wrong, I too have the same affliction as the rest of you and in an ideal world I'd buy all of them!) so looked at the Catapult V5. The thing is, I really fancied one that could run on just the one 18650 so was about to buy the Eagletac M25c2 when Thrunite announced the TN15 - so I decided to wait and I'm glad I did. At nearly half the price (here in the UK) and with a preferable UI (I'm not a big fan of all that two-handed head twisting) it just makes sense especially as the quality of the TN15 is really very very good and whilst maybe not quite up there with the Eagletac (although it could well be) is certainly much better value for money.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I hope this helps any of you out there considering this light, just as I have been greatly helped by all the fantastic contributions here on CPF along my journey towards 'the light'.

Cheers.