Luxeon III - True or False?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of questions regarding the White Luxeon IIIs.

1.True or False - At 350mA does a Lux III make less light than an equivalently binned 1W?

2.True or False - At 750mA does a Lux III make more light than an equivalently binned 1W?

I've read plenty of anecdotal evidence here at CPF that the answer is "True" to both of these questions, but is this supported in the information that is available from Lumileds?

I understand that the Luxeon IIIs are advertised as being brighter because they are now "rated" at higher drive currents of 750mA and 1A with projected "lumen maintenance", but are they actually brighter than a comparable, overdriven 1 watter?

Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
I think the problem is that nobody really knows what an "equivelently binned" one-watter is for any given Lux-III flux bin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly don't, I don't have a clue about how to decipher the new binning system. Between pyro and LEDs, I guess I should really learn how to read a chromaticity diagram. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i an wondering this as well.

just built a light using a lux3 and a micropuck. suuuure looks bright!

im very happy with the lux3.

Bob

Dan C

Enlightened
I'd love to hear the true scoop too. I have a BB300 with a LuxIII and it's a wonderful thing. Also a Downboy400 with a LuxIII run by a pair of CR2's, love it! I thought McGizmo said once that the LuxIII's work great underdriven and are no different than the 1 watters? I wish Cris or one of the other guru's would straighten it out for us.

Dan C

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
I have a couple of questions regarding the White Luxeon IIIs.

1.True or False - At 350mA does a Lux III make less light than an equivalently binned 1W?

2.True or False - At 750mA does a Lux III make more light than an equivalently binned 1W?

I've read plenty of anecdotal evidence here at CPF that the answer is "True" to both of these questions, but is this supported in the information that is available from Lumileds?

I understand that the Luxeon IIIs are advertised as being brighter because they are now "rated" at higher drive currents of 750mA and 1A with projected "lumen maintenance", but are they actually brighter than a comparable, overdriven 1 watter?

Anyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

1. True
2. False

This is a consequence of the flux binning for the 1W being done at 350mA and the Lux III at 700mA. An "S" 1W produces an "S" worth of flux at 350mA while an "S" Lux III requires 700mA to do the same.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would sumit for your consideration that I think a T bin III will produce as much light a 350 mA as a Q/S bin 1W but that a Q/S bin 1W will not produce as much light at 1 amp as the T bin III. Any comments? Come on , all of you with your personal integrating spheres step up and spill the beans! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I thought somebody posted a graph somewhere on this board that showed the LEDSs' to be approximately the same up to a certain current, but once above that current the Lux III really shined [pun intended].

I don't remember the post name or the magic number when the III started to outproduce the LS. It is h3ll when the memory starts to go like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif