Fenix LD10 Issues.....!!!

nyefmaker

Newly Enlightened
Long Time Member, but just lurk and read all the valuable info you guys post.

I have a Fenix LD10 that just stopped working today. Will fill you in below:

Bought a Fenix LD10 and it was not working out of the box, sent it back and they replaced.

The 2nd one worked perfectly. I got it about a year ago and its has been my edc light, but used sparingly. Went though 3 batteries all year ( energizer ). Today I was using it and I noticed it got slightly dimmer. I shut it off as I was moving things around in a storage unit. When I went to turn it back on, it would not come one. Figured the batter died, so I installed a new one when I came home and its still not working.....!!!

I love the Single AA as they are always readily available. I went through Hurricane Sandy a few years ago and the ONLY batteries ANY store had for weeks was "C" and "AA". All the fancy batteries were gone as well as everything else. I love my Surefire Outdoorsman, but its 2 "AA" and a bit long for my right front pocket.

Are there any tips or things I can try or is it garbage.....??????????

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
Hello nyefmaker,

you can unscrew the tailcap, inside the tailcap is a ring with two holes. Take a needle nose pliers and try to tighten it up.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130124/5obk7gpc.jpg

You can also clean the threads of the battery-compartment and contacts inside the head. Hope you can fix it, LD10 is in my opinion one of the best 1 AA lights around.

greetings from germany

Nick

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello nyefmaker,

you can unscrew the tailcap, inside the tailcap is a ring with two holes. Take a needle nose pliers and try to tighten it up.

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130124/5obk7gpc.jpg

You can also clean the threads of the battery-compartment and contacts inside the head. Hope you can fix it, LD10 is in my opinion one of the best 1 AA lights around.

greetings from germany

Nick

Do not try to fix it yourself if it still under warranty as you will void it.Send it back to Fenix.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
As Nickmen has said, check the retaining ring in the tailcap is tight. My LD20 had the same problem.

If that doesn't solve things, THEN you can test the warranty.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
The warrenty won't void if you clean the threads/contacts and try to tighten the ring in the tailcap, don't worry.

greetings from germany

Nick

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can also clean the threads of the battery-compartment and contacts inside the head.

As Nickmen has said, check the retaining ring in the tailcap is tight.

If that doesn't solve things, THEN you can test the warranty.

The warrenty won't void if you clean the threads/contacts and try to tighten the ring in the tailcap, don't worry.

+1!

At any sign of trouble my 'checklist' is make sure it's tight, try a new battery, clean the threads and contacts. If it still doesn't work, then it's time for contacting the company for warranty support.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

greetings from germany

Nick

Oh yes it will chappy,any noticeable attempts will make it void end of.I always find it strange that Joe Punter spends his hard earned shekels and then tries to fix it himself when the maker has given him a 2 year ticket.:nana:

Last edited:

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Oh yes it will chappy,any noticeable attempts will make it void end of.I always find it strange that Joe Punter spends his hard earned shekels and then tries to fix it himself when the maker has given him a 2 year ticket.:nana:
It won't void the warranty in fact Fenix tells you to do that to troubleshoot/maintain the light. I think it's printed on the manual.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree in sending back, but Fenix is well known ( not the only brand ) for a simple loose retaining ring. At any rate clean / lube / tighten if done without damage should't void the warranty.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't void the warranty in fact Fenix tells you to do that to troubleshoot/maintain the light. I think it's printed on the manual.

Routine maintenance quite happy with but anything more should be down to Fenix,why buy with a 2 year ticket and you end up the biggest spanner in town doing the repair yourself.I am not having any of that nonsense.

IgwanaRob

Newly Enlightened
Definitely check the tailcap ring first - remember it's reverse threaded (turn left to tighten).

It's possible the switch went bad too. Check if the light still works, and eliminate the tail-switch as the issue, by bypassing the tailcap (remove it and jump the battery's neg terminal to the exposed body that would normally contact the tailcap ring). Tail switches are relatively cheap to replace, depending on shipping costs, but if the head is bad you'll need to send it in.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
what Nickmen suggested. my LD10 stopped working and all it need was tightening the ring. takes you less than a minute to tighten.

RAM2

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights are like fine cars. They occasionally need adjustment to bring them back into factory specifications.

wjv

Enlightened
Tightening (counter clockwise I believe) with some needle nose pliers (tweezers or hemostat also may work) will NOT void anything, and takes all of 10 seconds to accomplish. I've done it multiple times on my LD10 and a couple other Fenix lights.

It's even RECOMMENDED by Fenix.

Why should someone send a light out for repairs, paying for postage, and giving up a light for 2-6 weeks when you can fix it yourself in 10 seconds.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Routine maintenance quite happy with but anything more should be down to Fenix,why buy with a 2 year ticket and you end up the biggest spanner in town doing the repair yourself.I am not having any of that nonsense.

Because shipping isn't free. Why ship your light around the world for something as easy as clean the contract or tighten the tail ring? The warranty is for when your issue isn't resolve after trying simple troubleshooting.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because shipping isn't free. Why ship your light around the world for something as easy as clean the contract or tighten the tail ring? The warranty is for when your issue isn't resolve after trying simple troubleshooting.

Well the shipping should be free,faulty under warranty in the UK would be going back to the seller and up to him to send it to China or where ever.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
I sent fenix an email, here is what they told me:

Hello Nick
Yes, the metal ring in tailcap maybe loose after using for long time. Just tighten it. No void warranty.

Best Regards
Cathy Li/MS
Fenixlight Limited
(P) 0086-400-8866093
http://www.fenixlight.com

www.facebook.com/fenixproducts
发件人: Nick xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
发送时间: 2015年1月6日 2:44
收件人: [email protected]
主题: Fenix LD10 Problem

Hello,

i have a problem with my Fenix LD10, it stopped working. Battery is new, threads are cleaned. I saw on the german taschenlampen-forum.de that the problem could eventually be solved by myself by trying to tighten the retaining-ring of the tailcap. Is it OK to try it out or do i void the warranty?

king regards

Nick