New to forum, looking for modding advice for a Cyclops searchlight.

philip140

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I'm Phil from the UK and this is my first post after using these forums for research purposes for some time.

Way back when I bought myself a cyclops searghlight with a massive 250 lumens!! it served me well for hunting, camping and other outdoor activities at night. Since then I've made flashlight purchases from well known brands that are 4X brighter and a fraction of the size, so my Cyclops sits in the car waiting for an emergency (which it has seen).
Now I'd like to bring this old friend into 2015 by giving it a single LED and large reflector.

Now, confession time, I've always liked torches even as a kid, but only in the last year have I really been bitten by the bug. As such I have very limited knowledge on their inner workings and electronic circuitry (but I'm learning!), so that's why I'm posting here hoping I can get some more experienced advice from you guys as to what I need to purchase for my project.

Included are some pictures of the flashlight in question, any additional information, just ask and I'll try to answer.

Facts in the torch:

• The flashlight uses 6xAA 1.5v cells
  • The reflector housing is 63mm wide by 55mm deep
  • There is a feature that allows the use of 6x green LEDs (not bothered about keeping this feature)
  • There are three traffic light LEDs on top that allow you to see battery life while the flashlight in on (I would like to keep this feature)

Possible reflectors found:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015...-H-SMO-Reflector-for-Cree-XM/32265253672.html <<<< This reflector seems to have two angles inside, not sure if this would increase flood (not what I'm looking for)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/57-8mm-D-x-55mm-H-SMO-Reflector-for-XM-L-XM-L2-XP-G-XP/955586439.html <<<< deeper reflector may require slight modding to fit

With regards to what LED, I'm open to suggestions. I'm really not sure if this is a regulated flashlight or direct drive so I'm not sure if I need to purchase a driver and emitter or just emitter (told you I haven't a clue!)

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Phil

IMG_20141230_142215.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142225.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142250.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142318.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142558.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142627.jpg.html

IMG_20141230_142716.jpg.html

ChibiM

Enlightened
you could just upgrade the leds, and see how much you`ll gain.. keep everything else stock.
it probably needs a serious amount of modding (and knowledge with it) to upgrade the whole thing.

the reflector openings seem to be of a fair size.. so you could change them to XPL leds, which would definitely give a serious boost in output.

I cant really see the current leds, but they looks like XPE.
the XPL have the same led size, but the LED die is bigger, so it would be a direct swap.
just unsolder the current leds, and replace them with XPL ones. (the easiest is to measure the stars, and buy XPL emitters on the same size stars)

thats probably the easiest mod, and while you are at it, you could replace the wires to thicker ones.
the light will probably not get very hot, so you don`t really have to improve the heatsink at this point. Although its necessary if you really want to upgrade the driver etc as well.

and don`t forget to use good quality AA cells!

philip140

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ChibiM, I'll give that a go first then. appreciate the advice!

Phil