Fenix EO1 v Nitecore Tube.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
At long last we have something reasonably cheap enough to compete with the dinosaur of the EO1 even in its new form imo it is well past its sell by date.

Nitecore have done a cracking job in inventing something so simple and bang up date with usb charging and a range of pleasing colours.There are many USP,s with the tube and its design will allow for logo printing to the promotional gift market.

Overall a well designed simple and much needed addition to the impulse key chain market. :twothumbs

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I eagerly await your tests and comparisons. If indeed it can hold up to pocket carry and the occasional accidental abuse at the level the E01 does...if it can run for a couple of days off of a charge from the ubiquitous micro USB charger....then it might indeed be a contender. Interesting that Nitecore also makes an E01 copycat, the "T0." I wonder why they continue to copy such a dinosaur if they have such a great alternative.

I know that others join me in anticipation of your tests and opinions!

wedlpine

Enlightened
I have been carrying my Nitecore Tube in my pocket for a few weeks now. Also in that pocket are 3 pocket knives, a fingernail clipper, a handcuff key, a lighter, some lip balm, 4 or 5 miscellaneous keys and several dollars in pocket change. So far it is holding up like a champ. I occasionally find that it has turned on, but always in low. I just plug it in to my phone charger and it is good as new.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
I own an E01 and would also like to buy the tube because its got some cool features. That being said….i don't think its comparable to one another. Apples and oranges. I'd buy both.
I would probably use the Tube for my Main URBAN EDC. If I were to go on long hiking/camping/survival trips, I rather have the E01. Why not have both???? Saying the tube is competition gives off the wrong idea. As in, it can replace the E01! which it cant. No more than the E01 can replace the Tube. The tube can't survive being run over? have spare batteries? Water proof? If the battery ever fails is it swappable? It's not potted. As I said it's a great light for urban living but for tough scenarios, No.

At long last we have something reasonably cheap enough to compete with the dinosaur of the EO1 even in its new form imo it is well past its sell by date…….

it serves its purpose and it's here to stay.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The tube looks like an interpretation of the Photon Freedom Micro. Single button interface. Uses very slow PWM, which some may not like. The clear cases can give "light blowback" at the user, which is why Photon offers a Covert Nose model. I agree the micro usb recharging is nice but I like the ability to replace cells when they go dead. Definitely a neat light in the market, and a competitor perhaps to the Micro which has a great track record. Personally, apples and oranges. The more things an item tries to do well, the more compromises are made. The durability is not there compared to the E01. The regulated 10 lumen runtime followed by the predictable moon mode is not there. I'll buy one, I'll put it through the same paces, if you'd like. :)

Agreed, it looks well designed. The double loop attachment point looks strong. I'd like to see a non-opaque model in various colors. Maybe camo! You convinced me to order one, re-reading your post. An impulse purchase no doubt!

Edit-Two on the way from Going Gear! :)

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I eagerly await your tests and comparisons. If indeed it can hold up to pocket carry and the occasional accidental abuse at the level the E01 does...if it can run for a couple of days off of a charge from the ubiquitous micro USB charger....then it might indeed be a contender. Interesting that Nitecore also makes an E01 copycat, the "T0." I wonder why they continue to copy such a dinosaur if they have such a great alternative.

I know that others join me in anticipation of your tests and opinions!

Well said, run4jc!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an E01 and would also like to buy the tube because its got some cool features. That being said….i don't think its comparable to one another. Apples and oranges. I'd buy both.
I would probably use the Tube for my Main URBAN EDC. If I were to go on long hiking/camping/survival trips, I rather have the E01. Why not have both???? Saying the tube is competition gives off the wrong idea. As in, it can replace the E01! which it cant. No more than the E01 can replace the Tube. The tube can't survive being run over? have spare batteries? Water proof? If the battery ever fails is it swappable? It's not potted. As I said it's a great light for urban living but for tough scenarios, No.

Great post, ryukin2000!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tube looks like an interpretation of the Photon Freedom Micro. Single button interface. Uses very slow PWM, which some may not like. The clear cases can give "light blowback" at the user, which is why Photon offers a Covert Nose model. I agree the micro usb recharging is nice but I like the ability to replace cells when they go dead. Definitely a neat light in the market, and a competitor perhaps to the Micro which has a great track record. Personally, apples and oranges. The more things an item tries to do well, the more compromises are made. The durability is not there compared to the E01. The regulated 10 lumen runtime followed by the predictable moon mode is not there.

And another great response; thank you, scout24! lovecpf

scout24

Flashaholic
All three quoted were diplomatic, addressed some of the positives, looked at what may be weaknesses but still appreciated the design, and OP's posting. It's great when we all get along! :) :grouphug: Thanks, Grijon...

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Between the two I far prefer the EO1. It will take far more abuse and survive a dunking. Years from now when the tubes rechargeable battery has given up all I have to do is put another easily found aaa in the Fenix. You probably won't be able to neglect the tube for a year at a time as I have my EO1. That behavior usually wrecks a rechargeable. Besides that no pesky pwm to contend with either. Just sayin'....

nbp

Flashaholic
Contrary to what you may expect, as I am an E01 fan, I really like my Tube.

It is nowhere near as rugged and tough as the E01, not potted, heck it's plastic. I would not subject it to anywhere near the same abuse and expect it to survive. For a true "must work" backup, the choice is clear in the E01.

But for the price, I agree the feature set on the Tube is awesome. For a simple keychain or pocket backup, it's a great deal and I don't see how you couldn't like it. The USB charging is great for joe lunchbox since everyone has a micro usb around. And the simple low/high/ramping UI is dead simple and intuitive. The floody beam is nice for most EDC tasks for the average person and 45 lms is plenty as well.

For puttering around the house in pajamas and such late in the evening it has ended up in my pocket a lot lately. It's a nice little light. :) For $10 you can't not like it.

I agree that this is not an either/or but a buy both scenario. :cool:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Tube on my keychain. It replaced a Photon Freedom Microlight.
I like the Tube. It's brighter than an EO1, has longer run time on low, and is rechargeable. It is very light, so it is unlikely to be damaged in a drop. I am less optimistic about surviving being run over by a car, but I have never heard of any light actually having that happen in real life.

The main flaw that I have seen is the light does come back in your eyes because it is not shrouded. I just hold my thumb over the top above the LED when I hold it, and that blocks it well enough for me.
It's a decent little light if you don't hold it to higher expectations than a $9 light should be held to. The beam is cool blue/white tint. It has some PWM, which doesn't really bother me. It's not perfect. But, it's a nice little keychain light with some unique features.

ryukin2000

Enlightened
Does anyone know the shelf life of the Li-ion battery that the tube uses? the only thing holding me back from buying it is that i will have to eventually replace a very specific battery down the road and it may be hard to come by. also probably cheaper to buy another tube instead of replacing battery. don't really want a disposable light. Where as the E01 and other AAA lights it keeps on ticking as long as you feed it.

Edit: oops. kinda repeated what Toons said.

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
I have three Tubes lying around. The first one broke down in a single day (!) just by sitting in my coat pocket. The body is of mediocre quality and not having done anything special with it, it's weird it would break down this easily. Called the dealer and got a new one and it has similar problems after a few weeks. Though this one works when applying pressure to a certain point on the body (apparently QC isn't that great). My primary E01 has been on my keys for 6 years now non-stop and is still going strong. How's that for a "dinosaur" ?

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
I'd have to think long and hard before considering a light that has to be charged as opposed to just changing the battery. I'd also have to test how long it holds a charge sitting unused, and how long it provides light before needing a recharge. I haven't held a Tube in my hand, but it looks to me like it's about the same size as an E01 or E05 plus a couple of extra lithium primaries.

I'm not saying the E01 is the engineering marvel of modern times, but the Tube isn't something I would have looked at if not for this thread. Rightly or wrongly, the built-in battery would almost surely be a deal breaker for me.

scout24

Flashaholic
After a bit of looking, I think the only real "competition" the E01 has- Single AAA, 5mm LED, and the magic $10.00ish pricepoint- are the Nitecore T0, Klarus Mi02, and the Sunwayman R01. These need to be vetted in my opinion, with regards to runtime and durability before the quotations around competition can be removed. I've heard and read precious little about either one yet... E01 has a heckuva track record, as mentioned by Ishango, above. I thought mine being on my keys for four years was an accomplishment! :)

Last edited:

Toons

Newly Enlightened
My post above comes off a little negative about the Tube. Trying to better frame my thought as you guys have , I own and use keychain coin cell lights. They have there purpose and the Tube is the BMW of that type of light. If I needed a light and only had 10 bucks in my pocket it would be the EO1. If I had 20 bucks I would come home with both. :D
I am a Flashaholic after all. :ohgeez:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a bit of looking, I think the only real "competition" the E01 has- Single AAA, 5mm LED, and the magic $10.00ish pricepoint- are the Nitecore T0, and the Sunwayman R01. These both need to be vetted in my opinion, with regards to runtime and durability before the quotations around competition can be removed. I've heard and read precious little about either one yet... E01 has a heckuva track record, as mentioned by Ishango, above. I thought mine being on my keys for four years was an accomplishment! :)

Also the Thrunite Ti...the single mode, aluminum base model is under $10. High is much brighter (and therefore runtime is much shorter) but it is certainly a competitor to the E01. I find it difficult to imagine ever NEEDING 48 hours of light without a charge...but if I do, I have 18650-based lights that can put it to shame. The durability of the E01 is really its main selling point.

I agree with various other posters...the Tube is not a replacement for a quality AAA light. It is something you can carry effortlessly, and has a LOT of excellent features for the money. I tested the water resistance...submerged in water, left overnight in freezer, and melted with warm water in the morning. Although a tiny bit of water did get into the light, it never stopped working - it is now back on my keychain and doing just fine. Also remember that this freezer test was done out of the box, I did not lube it beforehand. Might have made the difference.

In any case, I think both lights are excellent value...they just have different strengths.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Price alone most certainly does not put products into competition with each other. As an example, the fact that a four-door, 4x4 pickup truck with a long box sells for $50,000 does not make it a competitor with a $50,000 low-slung 2-seat convertible sports car - and neither are competing with the all-electric hatchback that also sells for $50,000.

I have three Tubes lying around. The first one broke down in a single day (!) just by sitting in my coat pocket. The body is of mediocre quality and not having done anything special with it, it's weird it would break down this easily. Called the dealer and got a new one and it has similar problems after a few weeks. Though this one works when applying pressure to a certain point on the body (apparently QC isn't that great). My primary E01 has been on my keys for 6 years now non-stop and is still going strong. How's that for a "dinosaur" ?

Thank you for sharing, Ishango! That is awesome.

After a bit of looking, I think the only real "competition" the E01 has- Single AAA, 5mm LED, and the magic $10.00ish pricepoint- are the Nitecore T0, Klarus Mi02, and the Sunwayman R01. These need to be vetted in my opinion, with regards to runtime and durability before the quotations around competition can be removed. I've heard and read precious little about either one yet... E01 has a heckuva track record, as mentioned by Ishango, above. I thought mine being on my keys for four years was an accomplishment! :)

I asked Mr. mcnair55 in the other thread for a competitor and he hasn't presented one yet; thank you, scout24, for looking into for it, as I am indeed very curious!

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My post above comes off a little negative about the Tube. Trying to better frame my thought as you guys have , I own and use keychain coin cell lights. They have there purpose and the Tube is the BMW of that type of light. If I needed a light and only had 10 bucks in my pocket it would be the EO1. If I had 20 bucks I would come home with both. :D
I am a Flashaholic after all. :ohgeez:

Ah ha ha, this is great! lovecpf