"Shake" LED lights?

DaveH

Enlightened
\"Shake\" LED lights?

Anybody tried one of these? Basically it's a magnet on a rotor that when you shake it, spins, and generates enough electricity through a coil. It gets stored in a capcitor or cell to run an LED.

It's pretty dim I hear. They started at about $120 though I saw them somewhere for $65.

I have some rare earth magnets, I might try to rig one up.
http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_nstar.html

DaveH

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: \"Shake\" LED lights?

I spoke with "Brightguy" about them and he told me the idea is really neat, but it was the dimmest LED light he sold, so for the price I couldn't justify getting one. I told him when they made one with a 5600 Nichia in it I would buy one.

Brock

phyhsuts

Enlightened

Applied Innovative Technology has a linear moving magnet version of the shake light called the NightStar. It uses a linear version of the permanent magnet dynamo to generate electricity to be stored in some super capacitors (Tokin makes them). A white LED is used and they claim useful output for some minutes when the capacitor is fully charged. Their web site is : www.innovative tech.org.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can edit your own posts. Click on this image
edit.gif
at the top of the post you want to edit. Make the changes and click on submit. If you mess up a link, it is easier to delete that part of the post in edit mode and start over than trying to fix it.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Prometheus

Newly Enlightened
North American Continent, Earth, Sol System

nightstar.jpg

these lights are very well made and rock solid. the kinetic powering of these lights are very clever. while they do have these things going strong for them, they are not the brightest LED type lights out there.

these are best for car camping, in a home emergency kit, or a handy "walk the dog around the block" light.

A great idea dna work very well in certain applications.

its about the size of a "lightsaber" and equally heavy, so a backpacking light, not.

------------------
Prometheus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Audaces Fortuna Iuvat"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
[url]www.tripleaughtdesign.com[/url]
Your best resource for the elite class in knives, edged tools & extreme gear.

Also please visit this site:
B.uy S.harp F.orums
Buy, Sell, & Trade Your Knives & Related Gear.
http://www.knifecorner.com/buy-sharp/
EMAIL: [email protected]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

two things,
I'm new to the board but have been into LED's for a bit.

Has anybody come up with their own working "shake n Bake"? I have a few design ideas but am not an electronics wiz.

I have the same basic design as the nightstar but smaller. I just havent made the wire coil yet. any suggestions ie How many wraps of wire = the right voltage?

Also, I am totally lost with different bulb specs, Any idea what the brightest 3 volt bulb is out there?

DaveH

Enlightened

Supposing your can come up with some sort
of rotor / coil contraption. I'd send the output through a little full wave bridge rectifier to convert what I think would be a random kind of AC current to DC.

Then I hook up a zener diode to limit or shunt any too high voltage, and finally to a fairly large capacitor of approx 5 volts. (RS has compute memory caps that might work) With the zener diode the design of your coil would be less critical.

The LED would hook up directly to the capacitor, a low current one would probably be easiest to run. My guess is it would be very difficult to create the power required for a bright LED.

DaveH

DavidNL

Newly Enlightened
\"Shake\" LED lights?

Anybody tried one of these? Basically it's a magnet on a rotor that when you shake it, spins, and generates enough electricity through a coil. It gets stored in a capcitor or cell to run an LED.

It's pretty dim I hear. They started at about $120 though I saw them somewhere for $65.

I have some rare earth magnets, I might try to rig one up.
http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_nstar.html

DaveH
I was never too impressed with these! I've seen them for a couple bucks.