Mini Maglite LED Pro. How to tell the new 272lm from the older 226lm?

gcronau

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just acquired a used Mini Maglite LED Pro on ebay. It was a used unit with no packaging which the seller *claimed* was one of the newer 272lm lites. It arrived and is in good condition and seems to work well, but I can't see anything on it that speciffically identifies it as the newer 272lm model, versus the older 226lm model.

Is there any physical way to tell? It has a serial number on the main barrel up by the head. It's 11 characters long and begins with "PG". I guess I could contact Maglite themselves with the serial # and they could likely tell me. But I was hoping there was some kind of quick and easy visual way to tell them apart in case I came across this model in the future.

I could upload a closeup photo of the emitter itself, if that would help, but I'm fairly certain, based on it's appearance, that the emitter is a CREE XP-G. It also has the digits "015" printed on the carrier the emitter is mounted on.

Can anyone tell me which brand/model of emitter was used in the 226 versus 272lm models?

Thanks for any help.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best thing to do would be to contact Maglite. But since they either wouldnt get back to you or it would take them forever to do so Ill try to help. I have several of the Mini Pros. I just know that the more lumens they put out the more purple the beam becomes. I have no clue what the emitter is I kind of dont want to know lol. Could be an XP-G but could also be the old XR-E....will check my minis serial numbers and compare..

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you really care? Fifty lumens difference in reality means no difference. There is more variation than that just between bin numbers within a given LED, and probably between different LEDs from the same bin. Just enjoy the light, and don't worry about it.

gcronau

Newly Enlightened
Why do you really care? Fifty lumens difference in reality means no difference. There is more variation than that just between bin numbers within a given LED, and probably between different LEDs from the same bin. Just enjoy the light, and don't worry about it.

I care because I paid for a particular product and I want to make sure I got what I actually paid for. As I care in any kind of transaction I'm involved in, just as you should care about any item you purchase too.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the eBay seller just grabbed the latest specs from Maglite's site and used those. I haven't seen the updated Mini Maglite LED Pro, but you most likely got the original version if it has 015 stamped on the LED module.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the new 272lm myself from my local ACE Hardware store and the packaging does mention 272 lumens. I also have the older 226 lumens model. The first difference I notice almost immdediately when turning it on is the tint. The 226lm model has a bluish tint compared to the 272lm model which has a very white tint center spot. There is also a slightly yellowish tint just outside of that spot. I guess it is a XPG2. The 226lm led has green board if you look down the reflector while the newer 272lm has a silver board.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I care because I paid for a particular product and I want to make sure I got what I actually paid for. As I care in any kind of transaction I'm involved in, just as you should care about any item you purchase too.

I think the question really needed to be answered to your satisfaction prior to having made your purchase.

Norm

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I care because I paid for a particular product and I want to make sure I got what I actually paid for. ...
Got what you paid for? The difference in price between a used Mini Mag LED Pro 226 versus a used Mini Mag LED Pro 272 is about zero, rounded off to the nearest dime.

... As I care in any kind of transaction I'm involved in, just as you should care about any item you purchase too.
Usually I do, and when that is the case, I don't buy used from eBay.

Last edited:

gcronau

Newly Enlightened
I think the question really needed to be answered to your satisfaction prior to having made your purchase.

Norm

Yes, you're right, but that's water under the dam at this point, it's irrelevant. I made a (bad)assumption that there would be an obvious way to tell the two models apart and it turned out there wasn't. My bad. Mea culpa, etc.

But like I said, that is past. It's done. I now had a technical question I hoped to get an answer to. So, I posted a question on this board asking a technical question about an item I owned, I was hoping someone would be able to answer that technical question. Considering the expertise on this board regarding LED's and flashlights, I thought it would be a question with a quick simple technical answer, not one that required the generation of a lot of moralistic browbeating.

And besides, as I said before, I'd like to know how to tell the 2 apart in case I come across another one at say, a yard sale or flea market or what have you.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
And besides, as I said before, I'd like to know how to tell the 2 apart in case I come across another one at say, a yard sale or flea market or what have you.
Answer is here:

I guess it is a XPG2. The 226lm led has green board if you look down the reflector while the newer 272lm has a silver board.
Original model has Cree XP-G (green base) and new model has Cree XP-G2 (silver base).