What should I get next? Own 2 Arcs...

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
Well I haven't bought a new flashlight lately. I am interested in the LEDs especially.

I own one Arc LS (second) from a long while back, one Arc AAA and one CMG Reactor (kind of cheaply made in my opinion...).

I keep reading about Surefire lights, how do these compare to Arcs as far as quality of make etc.

Any suggestion for a well crafted LED light woudl be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC4, obviously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
Get yourself an Arc LS modified with a 3 watt luxeon, fraen optics, with upped current regulation from someone on the boards if you're looking for something small.. I know of one that might have one left.

if you want to try a simple mod with a larger flashlight, get a hotlips heatsink, which can be ordered here..

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=272742&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

..one of the 3 watt luxeon TWAK emitters that electrolumens is currently selling a very limited supply of right here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ElectroLumens&Number=437330

and buy yourself a Mag 3D cell from a local store. You can also buy a 2D and modify it to carry 3C if you want it smaller.

Rather simple mod direct drives the luxeon.. and with the TWAK's available while they are, good time to try this mod.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I am sure I will prefer the ARC4 when it is out.
The Surefires are also "best" quality lights IMHO. The L4 is a 5 watt luxeon that runs on two 123s and has 1 hour runtime. It's a bright flood light. This light is very popular with a lot of CPF members.
You could also get a Surefire KL1 bezel & put it on a E1E for 1.5 hour runtime or you could put a KL1 on a E2E for 4 hour runtime. The KL1 is a 1 watt Luxeon

Lexus

Enlightened
I vote for the L4. You can EDC it (it's only a bit longer than the E2E), can use the Pila batt for guilt free lumens, it's BRIGHT and whiter than my LSH-P, has a beautiful flood beam with a large hot spot, it's regulated and it's an 5W LED. Not a cheap light but definitely worth it IMHO. Did I mention, it's very bright? If you don't have a 5 watter yet, go for this one. And if you already have a 5W LED, buy the L4 nonetheless... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the L4,
You already own an Arc so try something different. As a flashaholic, you must own a wide range of lights. If you want to stay small, get an Arc4 Premium and get some thumb exercise.

Geode

Enlightened
Tough question. IMO, primary considerations are: what do you want to use the light for and what carry size is comfortable for you. The two Arc products you own are pretty small, especially the AAA. The reactor is not. If you like the carry size of the LS, I agree with the Arc4 suggestion, or E1 if you want a well made incandescent.

If you don't mind a larger carry, such as the reactor, I would recommend either the Surefire A2 or L4. Either of these lights are very impressive for different reasons. Do a search and you will see what I mean.

You probably won't ever regret buying a quality flashlight and either Arc or Surefire are some of the finest.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Osm3um,
If you have an Arc, you already have a good pocket light. Go for something that throws like a monster. The McLux PR 3W setups are really nice and easily throw out to 100 yards. If flood is your thing, the L4 is hard to beat although it gets really hot.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already own the Arc LS, there is no point for you to look at Surefire L1 or KL1. My assurance is that you would still prefer your Arc LS for it's whiter beam. My suggestion would be to purchase the L4 Lumamax or if size and price is not a concern, the L5 Lumamax. I love my KL5 fitted on the M2 body.

Andy Ho

JanCPF

Enlightened
I'm also enjoying the L4/Pila combo, and even though I probably will get the Arc4 I can't see it replacing my L4 for my night walks in the woods - Sorry for repeating this but it's so perfect for that purpose. And when you actually walk with it it doesn't get hot - just lukewarm.

Jan

scuba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
stockwiz said:
Get yourself an Arc LS modified with a 3 watt luxeon, fraen optics

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can we get such a thing? Who mods it? Any website?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bob,

Welcome to CPF.

You might also want to check out the HyperLux V
TnC Products
They are on backorder for a few weeks, but should be well worth the wait. The HyperLux V is brighter than the L4 (and L5 and I think L6). It is a 3 cell light, so it is also a little bigger than the L4. A search should reveal some additional information.

Tom