pager, aka beeper... how did they work?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching a film where the guy had a pager. When he got a message, it rang (beeped, whatever) and he looked at the display, called his service, and the operator asked his password, he said it, then got the message.

What was he looking at / did he read in the display? Was it the number of the person sending the message? When the service matured, could you send a short message / text to another pager?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first pagers were set up so that you called the generic service providers number, entered the pager number, then your call back number and the pager display showed the number that you wanted a call back to.

The latter pagers were issued a phone number and just like a cell phone caller ID, displayed the calling number.

Finally the latest version pagers allowed for a short 80 character test message.

Frequently we would enter the call back number with 411 or 911 if you needed something ASAP.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, there were also voice pagers way back when...:)

...and there were also 2-way alphanumeric pagers where you could receive a page and then send an alphanumeric reply from it as well...I have two of them sitting in a box at home...:)

I don't remember number pagers having caller ID...maybe they did later...the ones we used, you had to dial in your phone number after a series of beeps. So...you could page someone and then enter some different number than the one you were calling from if you wanted someone to call back a different number...

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I've installed pager systems that had talk back, but they were in house, covered jut the customers premises.

Norm

boo5ted

Enlightened
You know you're old when you remember using a pager.........

:(

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the very first pagers were for Doctors and people with very important jobs and all they had to do is call work or just show up. Then came automated phone services to leave a different phone number.

You know you're old when you remember using a pager.........

:(

I used to page a guy not even 7 years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if his pager was still in service. Of course, there was an ulterior motive for using a pager instead of his cell phone, but this is a family forum.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the voice pagers we used worked all over town.

We got some old Motorola voice pagers with 2-tone squelch (you've heard similar tones if you've seen the 70's television drama "Emergency!" :) ) We had them set up to open the squelch via 2-tone over our amateur radio repeater in case of severe weather. This was around 1996 and was old school even then. :D

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've installed pager systems that had talk back, but they were in house, covered jut the customers premises.

Norm

Norm, Then you must remember the Nextel system? It was sold as a business to business radio communication system. Push a button to talk, the person you were attempting to contact would hear a chirp and then hear you talk.

I had a company car back in the early 70's that had a car phone that used a mobile operator to make a call. Back then a car phone was as close to a party line as you could get. I think the cost was around $400 a month for 60 minutes then a couple of dollars a minute over that. Pay phones were all over the place and typically cost between 10 and 25 cents for a local call. Drug dealers ended up killing off pay phones as they hung out at the phones for sales.

boo5ted

Enlightened
I thought pagers stopped working when cell companies switched over to digital from analog networks.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the voice pagers we used worked all over town.

We got some old Motorola voice pagers with 2-tone squelch (you've heard similar tones if you've seen the 70's television drama "Emergency!" :) ) We had them set up to open the squelch via 2-tone over our amateur radio repeater in case of severe weather. This was around 1996 and was old school even then. :D
The film I saw it in was made in 1994 Hong Kong (Chungking Express).

I believe the very first pagers were for Doctors and people with very important jobs and all they had to do is call work or just show up. Then came automated phone services to leave a different phone number.

I used to page a guy not even 7 years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if his pager was still in service. Of course, there was an ulterior motive for using a pager instead of his cell phone, but this is a family forum.
Wouldn't any pi worth his/her salt be able to track your pager usage?

I thought pagers stopped working when cell companies switched over to digital from analog networks.
Thus the past tense wording of the op. ... ::)

Stream

Enlightened

Just so you know, when you say stuff like that, you make people imagine things that are probably ten times worse than the real story :D

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember number pagers having caller ID...maybe they did later...the ones we used, you had to dial in your phone number after a series of beeps. So...you could page someone and then enter some different number than the one you were calling from if you wanted someone to call back a different number...

This is exactly what I had.

obi

nbp

Flashaholic
Some pagers are still in service. My friend works in IT for a hospital, and they take turns being on call on weekends. Rather than lots of people trying to keep track of all different cell numbers on different days, they just give the on call guy the pager. When someone has a problem, they know to just call the pager number, and they will get whoever is on call. And the on call guy can just call the number that shows up and get whoever is having the problem.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh. I used to be one of those on-call people with the pager. We had an unofficial code for additional digits indicating what stuff to bring. Some of them meant to modify the number, such as add one to each digit (because we were bored.)

Ahh, good memories!

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
I thought I remember reading that some fields (firemen, police officers) still use them for reliability purposes. I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I used a 1970's era "Mobile Telephone" only once, but talked on them thousands of times. I worked for THE phone company and I was one of the operators that helped connect the car radios to land lines. :) The mobile telephones had up to SIX frequencies that you could choose. That meant that 6 people in a 100 square mile area could talk at the same time! Those phones could not dial directly, so people like I sat there all day long waiting for a light to light up.

RE; pagers... The first pagers were associated with an answering service. They were a simple radio receiver that listened for specific tones assigned to that pager. They were restricted to a small geographic area.

With the first pagers, you called the person's number, an answering service operator took your name and number and message, then they sent a signal to the pager. All the pager did was "Beep-Beep-Beep", and thus was nicknamed a "beeper". The person with the pager found a pay phone and called the answering service to get your message. The big advantage of this system was that the answering service could page you ONLY when the message was urgent.

Then came the "digital pagers" that would display a phone number (keyed in by the caller). Automated answering devices streamlined the process so that your boss and co-workers could page you at any time of the day or night without any filters, and you called them back directly.

We used computers with modems to call these these devices and pass cryptic 12 digit codes whenever we had a problem with the computers or networks at work. Each of us had a wallet card with the meaning for all the codes. This allowed a small group of 3 people to maintain a hundred computers in 20 sites without needing a person watching the print-outs all day and night.

The big problem with pagers was that they were one way. The beeper had no way to tell the paging system that the message was received. This made a great excuse when you wanted to ignore someone.

It was the late 80's that we got Satellite based pagers. Mine covered All of the western US. I don't know how it replied back, but there was a feedback to acknowledge the signal. They were also alphanumeric, so you could use a computer program to send a text message. Eventually Email to pager gateways were established, eliminating the need for a special program and dedicated phone line to send text messages.

As recently as the Clinton (Bill) presidency the secret service was using alpha pagers to coordinate their activities. It turns out that their signal was not encrypted in any way, and that a home computer + radio shack scanner was all you needed to intercept and decode the messages. They did use code names for the first family, but it was easy enough to figure out who was where and what routes they were taking.

I much prefer using my smart phone.

Dan

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
We still use alpha numeric pagers at work. We receive call reference numbers on the pager that are linked to client submitted work orders. We just ring up the customer support center for details which by the way are also faxed to us :thumbsup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't any pi worth his/her salt be able to track your pager usage?

He used a different name/address for the pager and cell phone as I understand it.

Just so you know, when you say stuff like that, you make people imagine things that are probably ten times worse than the real story :D

LOL.... he was no Dexter if that makes anyone feel better. I was in college back then (*hint hint*)

I remember the guy before that (mid 90's) would sometimes call me back 2 days later as he just got the page coming back from outside of town, so the signal was limited to an area, but kept in a buffer and relayed to him after he got back in the zone. That could get annoying when he called back at 2 a.m. and I was in bed.

Some pagers are still in service. My friend works in IT for a hospital, and they take turns being on call on weekends. Rather than lots of people trying to keep track of all different cell numbers on different days, they just give the on call guy the pager. When someone has a problem, they know to just call the pager number, and they will get whoever is on call. And the on call guy can just call the number that shows up and get whoever is having the problem.

I almost got a job where there was a rotation between service techs for weekend emergency calls. They rotated the emergency call cell phone instead of a pager. Boy am I glad I didn't postulate for that job... I can't imagine myself answering a call in the midst of the night with a half-drunken rogue voice. (I learned about that system from another guy a year or two afterwards.)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids had pagers before cell phones reached the teen price point. It is amazing how creative they got at sending "pager code" messages to each other.

I carried a pager for work use for a while before cell phones became reasonably priced and had long battery life. The alternative would have been to give customers 4 phone numbers, each with a different answering machine. Tried that - really a bad idea.