LED upgrades for old flashlights what is best?

Tayous1

Newly Enlightened
So I have three old flashlights that I have been wanting to give a Led upgrade to one is a old 6- C cell maglight love this flashlight just had how weak the light is. The other is a old stinger flashlight my department feels that new led flashlights are not essential gear for a night officer ( Really that was there words!) Also a Old Surefire 6Z flashlight. Also if anyone could tell me about 1000+ lumens AA flashlight I'd like to hear about them!

Thanks for the help and advice.

Raze

Enlightened
Depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend, Malkoff Devices make excellent drop-ins for the lights you mentioned.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
So I have three old flashlights that I have been wanting to give a Led upgrade to one is a old 6- C cell maglight love this flashlight just had how weak the light is. The other is a old stinger flashlight my department feels that new led flashlights are not essential gear for a night officer ( Really that was there words!) Also a Old Surefire 6Z flashlight. Also if anyone could tell me about 1000+ lumens AA flashlight I'd like to hear about them!

Malkoff Devices is indeed a great place to start. I used a number of M61-series drop-ins to upgrade older Surefire lights (mostly 6P) for myself and my team. With M61, M61L and M61LL options, you can choose between several levels of output or run-time, depending on your preference/need. Malkoff products are public-safety grade, and Gene is very supportive of the law-enforcement community (they were very good to me). I have a Malkoff HoundDog that's one of my favorite lights. Several items you might find useful are currently on sale.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I were using the lights on duty, I'd want the best, most durable light money could buy. As such, I'd suggest Malkoff Devices drop ins.

Tayous1

Newly Enlightened
"not essential gear" wow, they are literally and figuratively in the Dark Ages! Just wow!

Post your Dept Head and we will send some anonymous emails urging they reconsider that stance! lol

Seriously, also check out this link, and check out his other products.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?353885-3XML-M*g-C-amp-D-drop-in-by-Fivemega

This is why 90% of what is on my belt I bought with my money! Think the only thing I have now is a cuff case mag pouch and medical glove pouch. Belt, keepers, holster, Taser holster, baton and pouch, radio holder, handcuffs and key holder are all bought by me, Carry flashlight is a Zebralight SC600 MKII nice small bright light that fits in my front pocket, back ups are EagleTac TX25C2,EagleTac T20C2 MKII , Old Surefire z2x combatlight and some cheap LED flashlight I bought at Manards for $12.

The Surefire is one I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks for the link looks like a good light for my Maglight.

Hi Tayous1,

Here is my suggestion for the Surefire. Details for batch 3 will be up tomorrow.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?396463-FS-Copper-P60-modules-MT-G2-1600-OTF-lumen!

Of course its possible that may be a biased suggestion :twothumbs

WOW might have to try one I'll be sending you an IM!!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its the SF light you are looking to upgrade check out the Malkoff as mentioned before. Also Sportac makes some nice dropins. You are looking for the P60 drop in. Then figure out what type of battery you would like to run. That will tell you what voltage ranges you need to consider.

Food for thought: Most drop ins are flexible on voltages so its not too big of a deal. You can run standard Lithium CR123A cells, they are 3.0 volts. Or RCR123 some are 3.0 volts and some are 3.7 volts. I prefer the 3.7 volt cells to get a extra boost. Also so may mention looking into a body that will fit the 18650 Cell. Kinda like the SF P1R Peacekeeper.
I would buy a few different drop ins and see what works best for your combination. I like the two level SportTac triple Nichia. It is a flood beam that lights up the whole area. They do sell them that will run up 6 volts or up to 9 volts. I suggest the 9 volt one. Gives you more options. The 6 volt one is mostly for use in single cell lights.

If you get rechargeable cells, you need to get high quality cells and a good charger too. Something you can use in your unit. Like a Nitecore I4, it can plug in your 12 volt lighter to charge.

Tayous1

Newly Enlightened
If its the SF light you are looking to upgrade check out the Malkoff as mentioned before. Also Sportac makes some nice dropins. You are looking for the P60 drop in. Then figure out what type of battery you would like to run. That will tell you what voltage ranges you need to consider.

Food for thought: Most drop ins are flexible on voltages so its not too big of a deal. You can run standard Lithium CR123A cells, they are 3.0 volts. Or RCR123 some are 3.0 volts and some are 3.7 volts. I prefer the 3.7 volt cells to get a extra boost. Also so may mention looking into a body that will fit the 18650 Cell. Kinda like the SF P1R Peacekeeper.
I would buy a few different drop ins and see what works best for your combination. I like the two level SportTac triple Nichia. It is a flood beam that lights up the whole area. They do sell them that will run up 6 volts or up to 9 volts. I suggest the 9 volt one. Gives you more options. The 6 volt one is mostly for use in single cell lights.

If you get rechargeable cells, you need to get high quality cells and a good charger too. Something you can use in your unit. Like a Nitecore I4, it can plug in your 12 volt lighter to charge.

I'm not really flashlight guy. Guns yes flashlights not as much. I have ad Sure Fire 6Z combat flashlight bought back in 2008 this along with the Maglight are the two I want to make better! The 6Z still hangs out in my squad is it a P60? Like I said I know about nothing just light bright or not bright is about it when it comes to flashlights.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the 6Z were mine: Malkoff M61 325 Lumen drop in & McClicky Z41 tail switch upgrade. If you don't want to do the switch work, look up Oveready C Triad tail. It looks awesome, has McClicky already and will allow your light to tail stand.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I'm not really flashlight guy. Guns yes flashlights not as much. I have ad Sure Fire 6Z combat flashlight bought back in 2008 this along with the Maglight are the two I want to make better! The 6Z still hangs out in my squad is it a P60? Like I said I know about nothing just light bright or not bright is about it when it comes to flashlights.

Brother, as one gun guy to another - be careful, cool flashlights are addictive. An Oveready custom 6P in natural HA looks just like its been parkerized - matches my Mk18 perfectly.:grin2: I had liked'em so much I had to have a couple - one for the Mk18 and another for a recce.

To answer your question, the 6Z is a "P60 host." I'd drop in a Malkoff M61 and not look back (I've done that for all my old incandescent SF classics - mostly 6P, and C2).

Malkoff products have a great record in police and military use and an M61 will not only give you much more light output, but longer run time and greater durability to boot.

If you use your 6Z with the Rogers technique (involves holding the flashlight in your off-gun hand between the middle and ring fingers and activating the tail switch with your palm), the original Z41 tailcap is perfectly adequate - its the way I carried/used my C2 for years. If you want a clickie switch, I'd consider an original Z59 tailcap or a McClickie (Malkoff switches use McClickie as well and will work fine with SF classic series lights).

Stay safe