Poll: Arc4 Clip (and screwholes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Peter that flashlights are not well-designed by committee (nor does democracy work very well in this area), but he might like to know what percentage of us flashaholics would prefer an option not to have the clip (and screwholes!) on the Arc4. I wonder how much it would add to the manufacturing cost to produce two bodies: one w/ clip and holes, one clean? I, obviously, would like mine clean.

carmel

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I don't personally use a clip, I too would like a smooth head. But, it would create too many variations. There are some good line extensions (leverage) but most line extensions are bad (Peretto rule). That is my abbrev answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Harrkev

Enlightened
I do not know what size the screws are, but you might be able to find allen-head screws. These would fit flush and help to fill in the holes. The down side is the lack of color matching, and there would still be shallow hexagonal holes.

Just insert a drop of loc-tite and insert screws until it is flush. Then, let the loc-tite harden and you are done!

I like the idea of having the clip myself...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the screw holes...

The units should be fine with the holes left empty. I have carried one for over two weeks that way and the holes are fine. But if you want, you can fill them with the screws that came with the clip, etc.

Peter

JackBlades

Enlightened
You can do what we knife guys do when we take a clip off - fill the holes with black (or your choice of color) silicone sealant. Let it cure, then trim flush with a razor blade. It's easy enough to dig out later if you wish to reattach the clip.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm probably in the minority and I apparently carry my edc differently than most but I want the clip. One plus for keeping the screw holes and filling with screws (like the ones for the clip) is that it would keep the light from rolling, alternately it would be a good attachment point for an aftermarket bezel that was not round or had other functions like the TID product for the surefire lights. Currently I carry an E1e, though I just ordered an LSL, but I hang my light inside my pocket, and I would even prefer the clip on the ARC4 to the position of the one on the E1e because it would keep the light more in my pocket and less visible.

terrybright

Newly Enlightened
I will remove the clip as soon as my Arc4+ arrives - just as I do with my folding knives that have removable clips. I generally just return the screws to fill in the holes on my knives since the slightly protuding screw head provides a good gripping surface. This is a point that those CPFers desperate for a knurling might wish to take into consideration. - Terry F

MY

Enlightened
While I do not use a clip, the screws would act as a gripping point and would prevent rolling. In addition, a lanyard could be easily attached via one of the screws.

If I had my choice, I would go for knurling and keep the screws.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the clip and screws for attachment.
The stock clip is not that asthetically pleasing but I can fab my prefered clip. Jackblades idea would solve the problem of the holes, great idea!

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Maybe someone (McGizmo or Dat2Zip) can come up with a titanium clip like the one on McLux? That will look cool.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it looks as if the screwhole placement is too wide to facilitate one of the titanium clips like those on the mclux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i'm sure eventually somone will make a replacement though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
A clip would be GREAT if it was bezel down. I just don't care for this bezel up stuff...

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I carry my LSHF-P with a wrist lanyard and BP Mini-Clip hooked onto the tail-end split ring. The lanyard, knotted and weighted slightly with a small cordlock, barely hangs out of my pocket. Not too noticeable yet quick on the draw. The lanyard and cordlock affix the light to my wrist when running. It's a great arrangement. I would like to be able to carry the Arc4 that way.

cy

Flashaholic
The clip is a non issue, since you have the option of leaving it on or off. You can come up with a custom attachment easy enough. But then the attachment point is on the heavy end.

The real issue is the lack of knurling. Since I just got my hand me down ARC LSH-P, I'll be happy for awhile.

I'm waiting until the second run comes out with the knurling and hopefully a clean way to attach a lanyard from the rear.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the clip looks great as is. I will keep it on. The only change I would make is to use allen-head screws instead of phillips head for cosmetic reasons.

Talking about appearance, where did the previously planned deep dark rich green HA III finish go to? I was looking forward to that. Too many natural HA lights out there now.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
I also prefer flat type allen screw, so it appear flush mounted to the clip, and when you prefer to have the clip detached, you could just screw it back in, flush to the head. It will be very nice to have. Is this design possible?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flat screws use up precious threaded hole depth for the screw threads to hold onto. A rounded raised-top screw is the way to go, just allen key it.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I think an alternative lanyard attachment is a must if the clip is ditched. I found 1x123 lights too easy to slip from my hand due to their small size.

LLLean

Enlightened
I, too, will remove the clip the minute i get my Arc4. I do that to all my SureFires too. I find clips to always get in the way when i put the flashlights in and out of my pocket, besides making the unit bulkier. The clip seems to catch my pants.

nexro

Enlightened
I would prefer the Arc4 without the clip as well as the screw holes too.
Personally, I never find much use of a clip.
Besides, I don't really want to see a hole in my flash light either :p

Status
Not open for further replies.