2015 TM26 4000 lumen ??

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of any differences between the 3800 and the 4000 lumens besides the lumens and the 400 is 100+ grams lighter(where do you figure they lost the weight at?)

kj2

Flashaholic
Difference is very little and you wouldn't really notice. 100+ grams lighter? Less metal? Also means less heatsink..

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked at the 2014 and 2015 Nitecore catalogs and owners manuals for both lights. They are listed at the same 438 grams weight. Not sure where you founds the weights, but my saved spec sheets show no change in weight.

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
Just looked at the 2014 and 2015 Nitecore catalogs and owners manuals for both lights. They are listed at the same 438 grams weight. Not sure where you founds the weights, but my saved spec sheets show no change in weight.
I couldent find it either,Maybe I was looking at something else:oops:

Difference is very little and you wouldn't really notice. 100+ grams lighter? Less metal? Also means less heatsink..

I wouldn't think you would see the difference between the 3500 and the 4000, much less the 3800 & 4000
Nothing has changed ,but they change the name to 2015 and bump 200 lumens?:sigh:

Beckler

Enlightened
I was hoping they'd actually change the firmware too, you know, to something that actually works for battery level display :D Also there could be other obvious features too, like being able to pre-select the level before turning it on (you'd press the display mode button). The big 2-line display, really, is wasted by not having this flashlight fully programmable IMO. But anyway, no. The chances of any change there are roughly zero because apparently they're not really into spending any more than about 5 minutes thinking about what an efficient user interface would be before cementing into firmware for 5 years or so.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "2015 TM26 4000 lumen ??" Maybe similar change will happen to TM06. Maybe TM06 will have a new improved model that will rate 4000 lumens on Selfbuilts' Relative Scale, instead of only 3100 (est). The same scale that shows SX25L3 MT-G2 lumens at 2550 (est). Sure would be nice if TM06 would change to 900 more lumens, or just enough additional lumens to rate (a lot) higher on that particular scale.

Last edited:

WALLtech

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newb here so I had to look up what the TM26 is... What a monster. To me it's too gimmicky though... would it hold up mounted to a bike or buggy off road?

Thanks,

Wall

Dr.444

Enlightened
I'm a newb here so I had to look up what the TM26 is... What a monster. To me it's too gimmicky though... would it hold up mounted to a bike or buggy off road?

Thanks,

Wall

Yes, it has Integrated mounting point.

Beckler

Enlightened

Thanks,

Wall

It's only the OLED display that's somewhat gimmicky, and only because it's half-baked. But it's still quite useful, even if only as a portable thermometer! :D Anyway as for standing up to off-road vehicle use, there would be no point in trying that unless you already owned it and couldn't afford any number of purpose-built units for that application. (I haven't looked but I assume there are many choices for that, just as I know there are hundreds for mountain bikes.)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nite Rider 3600 Pro costs three times what I paid for my TM26 lights. Add to that a $250 second battery, and off-road mountain bike nite riding isn't cheap.

The weight of the TM26 is too great for handle bar mounting IMO. Dedicated bike lights typically use remotely mounted batteries to keep he weight low in the frame and have the controls for the light mounted next to the levers. Kinda hard to run fast or technical track and change beam intensity while running with only one hand on the bars.

Get a dedicated bike light.