Replacement O-ring help (for Macs Tri-EDC)

Dakine234

Enlightened
Aloha everyone,

Just got a Macs custom Tri-edc (coming in tomorrow) and was told that the rear O-ring that goes around the rear clicky switch is missing. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? Just looking for a plain black O-ring, preferably just one if i dont have to buy in bulk. If anyone knows the name, size, etc please let me know.
Any help is appreciated, mahalo!

Dakine234

Enlightened
Looks like you can still get one! I'll get one too then - just because.
So i was already on the list for those, but just need the O ring, theres soooo many options. Once I click the "O-ring size AS568 #017" link theres a ton of options. Do you know which fits? Once you choose an O ring, such as
Buna-N O-Rings 70 Duro
it links to various heights (im assuming) of O rings, do you know which fits best or if they all fit?

D2000

Enlightened
I've taken apart my mac many times and there isnt an o-ring at the rear. The switch boot and boot retention ring form the watertight seal.

That o-ring link is for the front lens.

Dakine234

Enlightened
I've taken apart my mac many times and there isnt an o-ring at the rear. The switch boot and boot retention ring form the watertight seal.

That o-ring link is for the front lens.
Oooh I see, so theres no O ring surrounding the switch like ones found on a mcgizmo mule/haiku surrounding the switch?

D2000

Enlightened
Oooh I see, so theres no O ring surrounding the switch like ones found on a mcgizmo mule/haiku surrounding the switch?

None. The rubber boot has a little lip that a threaded retention ring made from Delrin screws down on it and forms a seal.

Dakine234

Enlightened
None. The rubber boot has a little lip that a threaded retention ring made from Delrin screws down on it and forms a seal.

Oooh that makes since! So that's the little black plastic ring surrounding the clicks switch, so your able to see the rear of the screws from the picket clip correct? (Going off internet pics). Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday!

D2000

Enlightened
Oooh that makes since! So that's the little black plastic ring surrounding the clicks switch, so your able to see the rear of the screws from the picket clip correct? (Going off internet pics). Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday!

Yeah you can see the screws - they never get hidden, unless you put something in there like I did. I put a ring magnet in there.

Dakine234

Enlightened
Yeah you can see the screws - they never get hidden, unless you put something in there like I did. I put a ring magnet in there.

Cool thanks for the info! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow!! If/when you have a chance could you post a picture of the ring magnet you have on your light? Interested to see what it looks like on the light. Thanks again!,

D2000

Enlightened
Cool thanks for the info! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow!! If/when you have a chance could you post a picture of the ring magnet you have on your light? Interested to see what it looks like on the light. Thanks again!,

03001fc9f854755366b9121d53452277.jpg

937e1b7addb43116bd3d4b4cd49c3714.jpg

cb679a1e60510372e3b2756ff29d3b54.jpg

The middle photo is before I gave it a buff up.
Here's
how some info I wrote in another post.

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
Congrats on the new Tri-EDC Dakine234! I saw your post and tracked the discussion to this thread.

It looks like D2000 already got you squared away. However, I want to clarify a few things about the o-rings and Tri-EDC parts in general.

1) The method of securing the silicone boot on the Tri-EDC is entirely different from that of a McGizmo. The Tri-EDC uses a threaded retention ring instead of a groove/o-ring.

2) The AS568 o-ring is the only o-ring on any of Mac's EDC series lights and it provides the seal for the head/body interface. You are free to use any material of your choosing (I prefer fluorosilicone, for example), so long as it's a AS568 -017 size o-ring (and is round, of course!). I believe the original o-rings are Buna-N duro 70, but I'd have to check to be sure. I'd recommend staying away from the o-rings in the duro 80-90 range, they are very hard.

3) I wanted people to have the option to choose the o-ring material since each has different properties with it's own pros/cons. If you don't know the difference or are uncomfortable with the terminologies, I'd suggested sticking with the original o-ring material. The material will also limit the type of lubricant you can use (e.g. no silicone lube on a silicone o-ring).

4) I'm guessing by "various heights" you meant cross-section. After choosing a material, you will be directed to the sizing page. Since the Tri-EDC o-ring is -017, you should click the -000 series link and find -017 in the list.

5) The front lens uses a flat gasket, not an o-ring. This is an important distinction and is very apparent if/when you disassemble the light. The gasket info is also included in my thread.

6) D2000 is correct, the pocket clip holes are tapped all the way through the tail shroud.

7) The replacement retention rings D2000 mentioned are a joint effort between Gonefishing and myself. There has been a lot of interest but they have not made it into production yet.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I was just going to tell Dakine, he should contact issacL, he can enlighten you.

And what do ya know...way to go Isaac!!

and Dakine- a big warm welcome into the Mac owners family.

Last edited:

Dakine234

Enlightened
Congrats on the new Tri-EDC Dakine234! I saw your post and tracked the discussion to this thread.

It looks like D2000 already got you squared away. However, I want to clarify a few things about the o-rings and Tri-EDC parts in general.

1) The method of securing the silicone boot on the Tri-EDC is entirely different from that of a McGizmo. The Tri-EDC uses a threaded retention ring instead of a groove/o-ring.

2) The AS568 o-ring is the only o-ring on any of Mac's EDC series lights and it provides the seal for the head/body interface. You are free to use any material of your choosing (I prefer fluorosilicone, for example), so long as it's a AS568 -017 size o-ring (and is round, of course!). I believe the original o-rings are Buna-N duro 70, but I'd have to check to be sure. I'd recommend staying away from the o-rings in the duro 80-90 range, they are very hard.

3) I wanted people to have the option to choose the o-ring material since each has different properties with it's own pros/cons. If you don't know the difference or are uncomfortable with the terminologies, I'd suggested sticking with the original o-ring material. The material will also limit the type of lubricant you can use (e.g. no silicone lube on a silicone o-ring).

4) I'm guessing by "various heights" you meant cross-section. After choosing a material, you will be directed to the sizing page. Since the Tri-EDC o-ring is -017, you should click the -000 series link and find -017 in the list.

5) The front lens uses a flat gasket, not an o-ring. This is an important distinction and is very apparent if/when you disassemble the light. The gasket info is also included in my thread.

6) D2000 is correct, the pocket clip holes are tapped all the way through the tail shroud.

7) The replacement retention rings D2000 mentioned are a joint effort between Gonefishing and myself. There has been a lot of interest but they have not made it into production yet.

Mahalo for the information and help, its greatly appreciated! When I saw the light i assumed it was missing an O-ring in the tail but should have done some research first. Thank you very much! Iʻll post a picture of my macs shortly

Dakine234

Enlightened
I was just going to tell Dakine, he should contact issacL, he can enlighten you.

And what do ya know...way to go Isaac!!

and Dakine- a big warm welcome into the Mac owners family.

Mahalo!
Here she is next to a lacanico small jasmine. The fit and finish of a Macs is seriously next level, it just a joy to hold and feel the shape in hand. Absolutely love it! Well worth the wait
11201542_1584071018543189_416661159_n_zpspozm8vdj.jpg

IsaacL

Enlightened
You're welcome! Fit and finish on these is fantastic and yours looks like it's in extremely good condition.

Dakine234

Enlightened
You're welcome! Fit and finish on these is fantastic and yours looks like it's in extremely good condition.
Haha yea theres a lot of literature i still need to look through with the Macs lights, but its awesome that theres so many resources and people here to help. I was also very surprised with the condition of the light, ive seen many that are listed as good condition, but you can tell they have been used, as they should be. Mine went straight into my pocket after a fob was added, only keep users with knifes and lights. Mahalo again for the help!