My dayhiking/camping LED lights.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Very often the bags I actually have within my immediate reach are my dayhiking and overnight camping kits. As I dayhike nearly everyday and camp often this isn't too surprising. Sometimes these dayhikes push into night. Often I will use lights when on the trail or bushwhacking. In some ways these bags double as BOBs. After all one never knows when an emergency will strike. If so it wouldn't really wouldn't be an emergency. These pics were taken during a 9-mile dayhike through rough country. Sometimes when looking to cover a great deal of ground in the shortest amount of time I will take a lighter pack. Best to mix up training IMHO.

First my dayhiking lights. I usually get a late start so can expect to hike into the night during "dayhikes". Here is the gear packed down. The headlamp is within a small foam old school cellphone case a flashlight within the daykit's PSK.

This setup has seen multiple reditions but the theam is the same. A small single battery headlamp with single battery backup. The headlamp is a Fenix HL50. The flashlight a FourSevens QPLC. Both headlmap and flashlight can take either CR123s or AA. There is an AAA to AA adapter. For extra batteries I have 2xCR123, 1XAA LSD NiMH and 1XAAA LSD NiMH.

Right now this is setup for AA but during winter I will use CR123. Why? I like the multi battery options. I like that everything uses a single battery. I like that both headlamp and flashlight can be very bright or very low. The mid levels work good for walking. The setup has enough or as little power to get the job done.

My overnight/multi day warmer weather LED light kit.

Packed.

Unpacked.

The Fenix HL30 and FourSevens 2xAA mini use the same battery configuration. Good runtime and more than enough power to night hike to camp for a good number of miles then setup in the dark if necessary. I did run a 1XAA mini but purchased a 2XAA. The weight really isn't more as I carried an extra battery anyways so why not store that within at the light. Also it locks out naturally once turned off. One negative of both Fenix headlamps is they don't lockup to prevent accidental activation though so far that hasn't happened. Good low mode on the 2XAA mini, seemingly brighter low on the HL30 but a useful amount of light and can be hiked on medium.

The Nitecore headband has came into use so many times as a backup headlamp. The 2XAA mini is a new addition but like the 1XAA mini it fits the headband well however has more output and longer run times which isn't surprising. The DIY diffuser makes a nice hanging lantern. There are 2 AAA to AA converters. Extra batteries are in the camera case. The camera, GPS and radio also use 2XAA. I don't always carry those other electronics but it's nice that everything is on the same page.

In field use.

Relative pros and cons.

1. The HL50 is cold to wear because of the all metal construction which includes a metal holder. I need to wear it over a thin hat in cold weather.

2. The HL30 has long runtime which is good because the battery door is so tricky to open. It would be very hard to do on the move in the dark IMHO. Very comfortable to wear.

3. Common battery types are adventitious. Common battery types among multiple gear items more so.

4. The headlamps both have fantastic beams for working around camping and hiking though the HL50 has more throw.

5. Prefer neutral tints but only one light out of both systems has it. So what does that say.

6. I am not comfortable packing lights which can't be locked out but so far not an issue.

7. Both kits can easily be transferred over to Prep or ER needs.

8. The HL30 drops it's low mode when using lithium primaries.

9. The QPLC using CR123 is amazingly bright on turbo and very very very low on firefly. Works great with AA as well.

10. The 2xAA mini is very bright on high but being a twisty it's a PITA to change modes when put in the headband.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for sharing. I often look forward to reading your posts as you clearly have some nice real experiences with your equipment. I like to do the same type of thing - take a day hike that turns into a night hike. My favorite way to do that is to travel to an overlook to watch the sunset and then hike back out. I really need to work on having a few bags ready to go at any time though.

Woods Walker

hi, what's the container thingy between the two flashlights?

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Daytraderwon/media/reviews/DSCN9292.jpg.html

That's a 1XCR123 body with end caps holding a CR123 battery for the flashlight. It can convert the 1XAA into 1XCR123. Thanks for looking.

Thank you for sharing. I often look forward to reading your posts as you clearly have some nice real experiences with your equipment. I like to do the same type of thing - take a day hike that turns into a night hike. My favorite way to do that is to travel to an overlook to watch the sunset and then hike back out. I really need to work on having a few bags ready to go at any time though.

Thanks for looking. Sunsets from overlooks are great.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Never used one myself but that HL50 strikes conceptually me as one of Fenix's best products. Nice system and great pictures!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like to start hikes later in the day and finish in the night. Unlike SO many, I see little point in starting a hike super early in the morning, having to deal with all the crowds, and being out in peak heat just so that I can be home for dinner. Hiking later in the day is just more relaxing (no RUSH RUSH to get to the trailhead by 8:00AM or large crowds). And the lighting in the late afternoon is just more photogenic. And, of course, there's just no beating seeing the sun set in the mountains. And, of course, the mystical hike back at night.

Download-File

Download-File

Download-File

Download-File

When it comes to lights, I'm different from many here in the sense that I actually DON'T like headlamps for hiking. Out here in the Sierra, there isn't much rainfall in summer. And trails get dusty. This tends to create LOTS of glare within a couple of inches of your eyes. Many people here still like headlamps. But I prefer handhelds. Usually, my choice is either my SC52w (with a box of extra 14500s - they're quite light). Or I will take my SC62w. This season, I also have an SC600w and my new Fenix PD40 that I can take with me. The long runtime and floody neutral light should make the PD40 a REALLY good hiking light.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

I mostly use headlamps but there are times when the snow, fog and rain produce too much glare for them. Also the flashlights have more throw so occasionally that comes into play. But every area has it's own challenges so what works for me might not be best for everyone. Nice pics brother.

Last edited:

geokite

Newly Enlightened
I prefer ZL headlights, but not worn on the head but clipped to my waist for hiking. Much more detail of the trail can be seen, and my hands are free for hiking poles. Usually a flashlight is in a waist pocket if the need arises for some throw.

Steve

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
Nice. I also like to start the hikes later. In the summer, this is generally due to overbearing afternoon heat, and I prefer the temperature to decrease as my hike winds on, rather than the other way around.

In the winter it matters less, but you deal with short daylight hours, so hiking in the dark is often inevitable.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My trouble in the winter is trying to not sweat too much on hikes, especially when they turn into night hikes. Then I start to freeze on the way back unless I pick up the pace. And it's worse when we go backpacking because then you have to dry off and you're not hiking anymore at the end of the day.

I also like to use a headlamp as the main source of illumination with a nice thrower in my hand for when the need arises. I overdo it though and usually carry a 4x18650 light to go along with the headlamp haha. You can tell I'm not an ultralight backpacker.

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
Compliments on the beautiful photos shown off in this thread, quite gorgeous.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You can tell I'm not an ultralight backpacker.

Seems to be a trend among CPF back-packers ;)

Today I went on a day hike that was supposed to be ~13 miles. I packed my "small" pack (Stratos 36) to a weight of 30lbs in order to feel properly prepared for the journey.

Some people would consider that a multi-day weight class with food and water and everything. In May, with the way the weather has been here lately, I was not going to be finding myself in a spring squall of snow ill prepared. I was packed with warm enough clothing and enough food to make it through the night up there on the mountain if things had gone wrong, and of course, plenty of illumination to hike through the darkness if necessary. Osprey makes 30lbs ride so comfy it would be a crime IMO not to be so well prepared.

Things did go wrong, but not in a way that could make use of any of that preparedness. My hiking partner's knee was giving trouble so we turned back early. Only did maybe 5 miles total. Either way, better safe than sorry.

----------

On the subject of neat pictures from hiking/packing adventures.. My wife shot this one last year up in the Sangre De Cristo mountain range....

DSCN1509.jpg

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm really enjoying the pictures you guys have posted! Hope your friend's knee feels better soon.

Woods Walker

A few videos of lights used on the trail.

Use during twilight. The camera makes it look brighter than it was.

The darkest of nights.

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
My trouble in the winter is trying to not sweat too much on hikes, especially when they turn into night hikes. Then I start to freeze on the way back unless I pick up the pace. And it's worse when we go backpacking because then you have to dry off and you're not hiking anymore at the end of the day.

To combat that I will hike wearing only a wicking base layer top when the winds are calm. When there is a breeze, I'll wear a polyester vest on top. The the case of the former, I can easy evaporate all the sweat and the case of the latter, the lack of sleeves allow much better temp regulation during rigorous activity.

Woods Walker

To combat that I will hike wearing only a wicking base layer top when the winds are calm. When there is a breeze, I'll wear a polyester vest on top. The the case of the former, I can easy evaporate all the sweat and the case of the latter, the lack of sleeves allow much better temp regulation during rigorous activity.

I like to layer my clothing. Also tend to carry another garment such as UL fleece jacket at times. Wicking base layers are great.