Favorite Rayovac lights?

LEDLove

Newly Enlightened
I get a discount on Rayovac flashlights. Before I get any I was wondering if anyone had luck with them. Or I may just splurge and buy one of all of them!:twothumbs

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a few of the $1.50 2AA ones EVB2AALED-B I bought them for two reasons.
1. so that I would have some lights to put the rechargeable duracells I bought, and,
2. to have lights to give away.
They have a crappy little beam, but are fine to tail-stand and give some light into a room (more than a candle) and they get decent run-times.

One of my car lights is a 2AA indestructible. I somewhat often recommend it, with a caveat. It is a thrower, which makes it not the best choice as a general around the house light. But at $14, as rugged as it is, it is certainly a good light.

I gave my son a 3 AAA indestructible, and he really likes it. It is also a bit of a thrower, so again, not an ideal "general purpose light" but it does have a high and low.

I also gave my son a 3 C indestructible. It wasn't a particularly generous gift. The beam is too tight, and doesn't throw enough lumens at a target to justify the weight of the light. It has a high and low, and can take a beating. I have never recommended it.

I think that the Virtually Indestructible LED 4C Beam Lantern is a decent thrower.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, the Indestructible line are the best Rayovac lights that I am aware of.

The 6AA 500 lumen Sportsman's spot light and 3 C Indestructibles were OK but I probably wouldn't recommend them. The 6AA 500 lumen has a cheap squirt gun like trigger that you have to cycle through each mode to turn off with no momentary on and the 3C has a reverse clicky switch, again with no real momentary on.

The 2 AA has a forward clicky with 2 modes allowing momentary on with a half press, though it will change to low mode if pressed again within about 6 sec., which is kind annoying (they should have lowered the time for mode switching to under 1 sec.). IMHO this is a very good general purpose light, I find that the low mode is usually enough for indoors and that the throw in high mode is great for outdoors/longer distances. Runtime is very good also. This is the one I would recommend.

markr6

Flashaholic
The 2AA Indestructible could have been a nice light. I didn't like the blue tint or laser beam it projected. And mine failed after sitting in the garage with little use.

Berneck1

Enlightened
They are not "high-end" lights, but they are good lights. I have a couple around the house and in my car. Mainly I have them because I don't care what happens to them. They work fine, and I lend them to people who need a flashlight. If you get a good deal, can't hurt to pick up one or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 2AA Indestructible is a good light for its price and for the fact that you've got spares sittng on store shelves.
Great car light for knocking around or handing off to someone in need.

Rider57

Newly Enlightened
Ive been eyeing this one for a while now, mainly for that 30ft drop rating. Could come in usefull for when i need a light and im less than sober. Anyone have a testimony, better option out there

markr6

Flashaholic
Ive been eyeing this one for a while now, mainly for that 30ft drop rating. Could come in usefull for when i need a light and im less than sober. Anyone have a testimony, better option out there

Worth a shot. But mine stopped working after about 1 year with little use. It sat in my garage the whole time. I dropped it a few times on purpose, but didn't throw it.

I don't care it's gone though; it's basically a blue laser beam. I will say, it's the only light I ever had that didn't make me cringe when dropped on a hard surface. Every other anodized flashlight these days falls HARD.

Rayovac Indestructible 2AA
rayovac.jpg

Fenix LD12
LD12.jpg

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the 4C Beam Lantern for a couple of years now. It rides in my car, and so far I haven't used it much. It has a nice form factor and size, and puts out a nice beam of light. Well worth the $20 I paid for it.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worth a shot. But mine stopped working after about 1 year with little use. It sat in my garage the whole time. I dropped it a few times on purpose, but didn't throw it.

I don't care it's gone though; it's basically a blue laser beam. I will say, it's the only light I ever had that didn't make me cringe when dropped on a hard surface. Every other anodized flashlight these days falls HARD.

Rayovac Indestructible 2AA
rayovac.jpg

Fenix LD12
LD12.jpg
Nice, the LD smokes it.
And I found my LD12 quite discreet in output,
that says something to me about the other.

markr6

Flashaholic
Those were just some old photos I remembered. A better comparison would have been LD22 (2AA).

Still, for $15 I can't really call it a bad purchase. Good garage beater light. I'll just have a backup right there if I ever get another.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those were just some old photos I remembered. A better comparison would have been LD22 (2AA).

Still, for $15 I can't really call it a bad purchase. Good garage beater light. I'll just have a backup right there if I ever get another.
I'm not sure it'd be a fair test ☺

Poppy

Flashaholic
Nice, the LD smokes it.
And I found my LD12 quite discreet in output,
that says something to me about the other.

Smokes it? Sorry, but I disagree.

In the two pictures one can see that the RI 2AA out throws the LD12 1AA, and looking at the ANSI beam distance, the RI out throws the LD22 149m vs 113m. And while many may find the LD22 more desirable than the RI 2AA, (me included) it costs about FIVE times as much.