FlexiLED is DONE

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally got some time to start assembling some of my head/base units that will create what I've called the FlexiLED. Basically a wide angle Luxeon based reading/tasklight. Along with my uFlex driver it makes a pretty nice combo - dimming and wide angle light.

Here's some shots linked across from my website. I will posting a thread in CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T
later to point to the webpage.

First shot is of the bits that go together to make the head.

flexikit.jpg

The next shot is of a batch of 10 heads being assembled. The heads are slipped over the bases to help center the emitters while the AA epoxy is setting up.

headbatch.jpg

And a shot with the mineral glass lens & retaining micro o-ring installed.

headrdy.jpg

And finally, because this is CPF - a beam shot, 3' from the wall. You can see a uFlex 'dangling' from crocodile clips connected to a battery.

flexihead.jpg

george.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Nice work George! I've been planning something similar for awhile now. Task lights like this are really a great thing to have around.

The funny thing is that just yesterday I finished my version of a task light. The difference is that mine uses E-series heads, so I didn't have to build any electronics. I haven't had time to compose the post for it yet, but it should be up some time this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Too ironic!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice George. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Were the heads a custom job or ? Also the reflector?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
hotbeam said:
Very nice George. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Were the heads a custom job or ? Also the reflector?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! The heads are custom (my design) - the reflector is integral with the head - it is 60 deg and sandblasted to produce a smooth & artifact free beam - ideal for reading etc. My goal was a smooth beam - not the brightest light. For reading you want a lot less than full Luxeon output and the uFlex dimming capability makes for a nice match.

I designed the uFlex driver specifically as part of the FlexiLED product. I've been running a prototype for 3 months now as a bed reading light. I can't imagine life without it - the beam is smooth, it can be dimmed to the level you want and the light is directed to your book/magazine without spilling light over. My wife likes to read before going to sleep - the light from her reading light doesn't hit my side of the bed unlike a conventional bed lamp. Also, being a LED you don't have a HOT lamp over your head.

george.

evanlocc

Enlightened
wow! another great beam!
seem that the entire beam are of equal 'light', not too bright is good sometime specially reading.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it!
Strap around 10 Lithium AA's for a base and it would be the perfect table/emergency light. I need to get one of those uFlex boards and start building some mods myself.

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Great light! I've been thinking of building one too as a computer light it's perfect! Are you planning on selling this? I'm very interested in getting one.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cgpeanut said:
Great light! I've been thinking of building one too as a computer light it's perfect! Are you planning on selling this? I'm very interested in getting one.

[/ QUOTE ]
As the above post shows - YES! My understanding is that since I started this thread, I'm not allowed to point to another thread (like in B/S/T) I've started - that's why I didn't.

I had 100 heads made for me - so I definitely have more than I need for my own personal use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, so not only am I selling them - I BETTER sell some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

JoeyL

Enlightened
OK, I finally got over to the bank to send a money order.
This looks like a very useful variation on the Luxeon for utility purposes. While not a flashlight, I think this will be good for a lot of hobby and home lighting situations.

George's website also includes a pre made board that puts a luxeon in place of a standard bulb in the dome and map light of a car/land cruiser. Sounds like another great idea and I ordered one of these and I'll report on how it works.

Thanks,