Stupid L5 Questions.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
These questions have probably been answered here before but a search yielded nothing. Can you L5 owners please help me out as Surefire doesn't yet have particulars?

1-Is the L5 lens Pyrex?

2-Is the bezel shock insulated?

3-Is the light waterproof?

4-How does one remove the clip if they want to?

5-If one removes the clip, can the thick rubber grip ring with the cut-out for the clip be replaced with another one without the cut-out?

Thanks much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
1) Yes, Tempered coated Pyrex.

2) No, there is no need to shock isolated the LED.

3) The L5 is designed to be waterproof and can be certified waterproof by SureFire. I consider it to be waterproof - certainly more than enough for my applications. I would not hesitate to take my L5's underwater for snorkling or diving.

4) Remove bezel, push clip out. (it may take some force, and you may feel the need to remove the o-ring although I don't)

5) You can make or have made any part you want! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al,
As always, thanks for your input. I should have known that there would be no need for shock insulation with an LED but it STILL would be nice to have it just in case!

As far as #5 goes, ("is there a fully round grip ring to replace the cut-out stock one if one takes off the clip"), I seem to remember reading somewhere that there IS a SF round grip ring that is a direct replacement for the stock L5's.

Hotpockets

Newly Enlightened
Hi Gene, The lamp assembly in my M2 "bounces" on a spongy sleeve inside the bezel to absorb shock (if I dropped the light and it hit lens first, the lamp would compress this sleeve dissipating the shock.) If you tried to shock isolate an led module this way, it would be less able to dissipate heat to the flashlight body because they are separate pieces. I learned that from a post by Kakster. (By the way, I still use your idea to attach lanyards to my UBH's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I enjoy them much more for it.)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to worry about shock isolation. I have a KL5 on an M2 Millennium body (no L5 in Singapore yet but beside the new clickie switch nothing is different). I dropped my M2 mounted KL5 and there was a very loud "clark" but my M2+KL5 still works fine. The drop has caused 3 deep indentation on the bezel of my KL5 but it is better than the head not working at all.

Andy Ho

GarminGPSMap

Newly Enlightened
Gene, there are no stupid questions. I have and L5 and I didn't know the answer to 2 of your questions. Thanks for asking, now I know the answers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you gents and that makes perfect sense Hotpockets on the heat dissipation. Really glad the UBH splitring/lanyard trick worked well for you.

The "stupid" part of the title Garmin was "tongue in cheek" but like you say, if we don't ask questions we don't get answers!

Thanks Al!