Step up from Thrunite TN12- 2014

steeevo

Newly Enlightened
Howdy All from Australia!

Im fairly new to LED torches, but not lighting in general! I have entered the market with a Thrunite TN12- 2014 and I think its a little ripper for a small EDC that's produces plenty of light from its small frame

Now, I have been using this torch whilst walking at night through a national park and find it has good throw and spill, but im looking for something that can offer more again as we do run into wildlife on the tracks like Kangaroos etc and whilst this light will show them up, it lacks in the distance department a little bit, so this is my question, what would be a decent upgrade that still have the same type of spill as the Thrunite, but has more throw aswell, im also happy to step up in size a little of course!

My only requirements are it runs on rechargeable batteries (18650 etc) and can run on its highest ouput mode continuously without dropping to lower lumens before say and hour or 2 of use!

Suggest away!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want THAT run time at THAT level of performance the immediate answer is the Fenix TK61 with an exteder kit that holds more 18650s. TN12 is an amazing little light indeed TK61 is enormous in comparison. Once you see the enormous difference in throw and that the TK61 actually will maintain full power for an hour the size and weight of the 61 is an easy trade off.

steeevo

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the suggestion, I will check it out, I may be a little demanding on the specs in regards to run times at max lumens, but this is because I can run the Thrulite TN12-2014 at max lumens for this amount of time or maybe less, around an hour, and generally need to as I am a curious bloke and enjoy looking around the scrub at animals and it seems to not drop down at all from turbo mode, that I can tell anyways! So expect my new light to do the same, but after reading a heap of reviews, it seems a lot of lights like to drop down from max lumens after short periods of time, this I wouldn't be happy with, it needs to be able to maintain them!

cheers

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to wonder if turbo should be locked out and burst used until end user reads and accepts some fine print in the manual..

It might help many appreciate medium and high levels as the main use setting and gain a better understanding of burst/turbo usage patterns.

The OEM are at fault/cause, I'm thinking loosely, they should advertise main use level with optional turbo mode output in fine print?
Idk if that makes sense to anyone and not trying to open a rift here just thinking out loud and maybe an OEM will come up with a solution.

swan

Banned
Gday Steeevo, just a suggestion [ i do not own this one] for the longer run times and much better throw you could check out the olight sr52 which has a direct drive like max level[no step same as your tn12] which runs over 3 hours until output reaches 50%. This light uses 3 x 18650 cells and is about inch longer than the tn. If you want to blow the fur off the roos have a look at the Thrunite Tn 32.

steeevo

Newly Enlightened
Some great suggestions and observations fellas, I will check them all out!

What about the Olight R40 seeker? Seems to have a deeper smooth reflector for extras throw whilst still maintaining decent spill, has anyone got one to tell me how long it will run on high at 1000 lumens before it switches down?

cheers