Has anyone here found their perfect EDC light?

Amelia

Enlightened
Hi!

Has anyone here found an EDC light that is perfect for their needs? If so, what is it? Why does it work so well for you?

My own answer is "almost...". I have tried so many different lights I've lost track, but the last few years have narrowed it way down. I am currently torn between two lights, and I keep "rotating" between them trying to decide if one or the other is clearly superior. So far... not so much. I love them both for different reasons:

Sunwayman V11R Neutral White, Modded with 2 16mm bored AA extenders for 16650
Zebralight SC62d

The Sunwayman V11R is the one that I've "come back to" over and over again, when other EDC lights fail me for some reason or other. It is SUCH a nice light in so many ways, and my recent modding adventure involving an overpriced but excellent machine shop and 16650 capability has only made it better. Pros: Really high quality "classy" light, magring adjustment of brightness, plenty bright, nice tint. Cons: Poor pocket clip, low not low enough, magring loosens over time.

The Zebralight SC62d is just about perfect, and solves all my complaints about the V11R. It has better "range" of output brightness, including super low lows and excellent runtime with 18650. It's also less bulky and lighter weight than the V11R. The emitter is a sweet high-CRI 5000K neutral LED that I just love. The only real "cons" with this light are that it does not have infinite magring adjustment, and the level of "classiness" and impression of sheer quality just aren't there. This is definitely a "production" utilitarian light with little to recommend with respect to aesthetics.

I keep going back and forth between the two, living with the little flaws of each light, until hopefully someday a manufacturer comes out with my perfect EDC.

How about all of you?

Last edited:

pomah

Newly Enlightened
My foursevens qt2l-x burst is perfect for me, the size, the fact that I have 2 modes that I can select before turning the light on. The ammount of light is insane, more than you need. Quality is top notch I use it everyday at work, at my spare time, I have dropped it, took with me diving, did not work underwater because of the pressure but did not leak in. I am sad that they do not sell these anymore but I can allways buy some more spare heads and with the bodies and build the same light for those of my friends that need it :)

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd have to go with my HDS 219A/B Rotary with flat tail cap : Wonderful tint, great UI, now with available 18650 and AA tubes to swap out, super low to high enough for most tasks, bomb proof construction and great customer support, waterproof to 60 ft. Also, paired with the Fenix O5 diffusor it is a fantastic lantern.

Really liked the 5 most used light threat also. Check that thread out.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) ZL SC32w clip off and in the pocket

2) Photon Freedom around the neck. (nice if it were neutral and no PWM)

Javora

Enlightened
Nope still looking. The closest thing I've found is the Olight M1X Striker, but the bezel is way to aggressive for work. *Sigh*

Berneck1

Enlightened
Eagletac D25a. Nice and small. Able to get to high and low from off. Takes 14500 batteries as well as AA.

I only wish it had a forward-clicky switch, but not the worst issue to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready TorchLab Pocket Triple with Slim-50 body and Zero-Rez Shorty Tailcap.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Fenix PD35. Love the beam pattern and the versatility of it. Am anticipating that the PD35TAC would be a nice replacement for that :)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you about the V11r Neutral,I love mine and it is next to the bed now every night but I also agree about its issues.
I have had no problems with mine malfunctioning yet but am a little worried that it will get too lose at some point based on what I have read.

I also love the SF Titan T1A as it does go lower than the V11 but the tint is nowhere as nice and it uses the 123 battery which I do not want to have to rely on with compromises in a light.

I think that leaves me with my undisputed choice,the HDS Rotary with a 2aa tube.
Now I just need to get one!

Ladd

Enlightened
I am very pleased with my SWM V10R. I like the variable brightness without going through sequential modes. Each task has just the brightness you want.

It is small and light, which I like. It looks really cool with the fins around the head. I am not a clip person, so no issue there.

I just ordered a second one for backup, just in case.

ven

Flashaholic
I am close to finding, with my v11r and D25cvn ti and D25c ti neutral . I rotate these 3 mainly and also edc a small light on my keys,be it the DQG hobi/spy or TiS in work. The latter being stainless is fantastic on the keys(as is the hobi) for looking as good as new under the most demanding of environments...........other keys etc. I can't be doing with worn off ano tbh..............call it ocd :laughing: but after a few months it gets swapped and now just sticking with stainless / ti on lights that come into contact with metals .

The UI on the v11r is great,dial in the exact output when needed ,it's hard to beat imo . But the slightly more compact D25c and being ti wins on the size/material...........maybe a SWM ti with infinite control would be a winner for me!

:)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
No such thing as the perfect gear item only what's actually on hand when needed. Just one of those things it's best to come to terms with.

1. There is NO perfect thing.

2. Stuff that's used will show wear and tear.

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
For now, I believe I have in the L3 Illumination L11C with Nichia 219b. Very slim for a AA light, 4 modes, clicky, and small but just long enough to give me a 4 finger grip. The mode spacing is perfect too. Maybe only 130 lumens on high, but day to day usage, I use the 30 lumen medium more than anything. I look in a lot of control cabinets at wiring and the medium mode is absolutely perfect for this, and the Nichia 219b has really spoiled me on tint. Some of the best $35 I've ever spent.

My SC52w is much brighter, but I don't need it daily and will gladly sacrifice the brightness for the pocketability, tint, and hand comfort of the L11C.

LedTed

Enlightened
With the help of a few fellow CPF'ers, (JHanko, KDM, and McGizmo) I just made a few upgrades to a few of my NC D11.2 EDC lights. Now that I have access to about 200 infinitely variable OtF floody lumens, I feel I has as close as I can get to my perfect EDC LED flashlight.

awyeah

Enlightened
Eagletac D25C Clicky. I have the titanium version and the regular version, both I believe are XP-G2. Great lights, very compact, deep carry pocket clip. You can't go wrong.

One thing I would like is a 2xCR123A/1x18650 version of this light with the same deep-carry clip. The D25C2 Clicky does not have this.

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac D25C Clicky. I have the titanium version and the regular version, both I believe are XP-G2. Great lights, very compact, deep carry pocket clip. You can't go wrong.

One thing I would like is a 2xCR123A/1x18650 version of this light with the same deep-carry clip. The D25C2 Clicky does not have this.

I'm with you 100%. Have the same light that I love and yearn for a bigger brother

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. My HDS EDC 120E GDP. Most of the stuff I carry gets rotated but I'm never without my HDS. Nothing else even comes close.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Well, I'd have to say my JetBeam RRT0 XML ring controlled light. I've been using it daily since 2012. I like the ability to set the brightness (.05-550 lumens) before turning on the light, the forward clicky, beam pattern/color, orange peel reflector, smooth bezel, flat tail cap (standing), titanium pelican-bill style clip, ability to use cr123, 16340, AA, and 14500s. And once in a while, I use the strobe feature. I know the new RRTO SE is out there w/ 730 lumens, but I doubt my eyes can tell a difference between 550 and 730 lumens...