What's the point of a bright flashlight that only lasts 5 minutes?

HEDP

Enlightened
I was reading that the Olight MX3-UT will only last 5 minutes on turbo (1,200 lumens) before it steps down.

I can understand having a super bright light, I'm just wondering what the point is in having a light that only lasts for 5 minutes is?

whar are you going to do that is complete in 5 minutes? Obviously longer run time is better and it would be if they could make it longer, but people are obviously willing to buy a light that is super bright but only has a limited run time at that brightness.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a lot of cases, 5 minutes is more than enough time to identify what your looking for. The first step down is usually 60-70% of the turbo mode lumens, so it's not a big deal.

My Nitecore TM36 goes from 1800 lumens on turbo to 1100 lumens on high. 1100 lumens is still plenty of light on a target 4-500 yards away.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 minutes is pretty good. Many only go for one. Supposed to be used to scan an area...maybe spot a trail...animal, person ect.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's because I'm a flashaholic and i like throw; even if it only lasts for 5 minutes :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It allows for a much smaller and lighter weight flashlight than one that can sustain that same high output. Sometimes the only good flashlight is the one you have with you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the point is that everything is a compromise ... size, power, output, runtime, cost, materials, etc, etc.

Sure, probably > 90% of general tasks require > 1 minute runtime. But probably > 99% of general purpose lighting requires < 50 lumens.

So one could just as easily ask, what is the point of having compact torches with > 1000 lumens output ?

There are some specialized uses for these, the technology to do this is available, and there is a market for them, since they do sell ... :shrug:

EDIT - another point is that the perceptual visual effect of bright illumination is not linear. In other words, backing off from max output, will allow the eye to adjust and partially compensate for the difference (at lower output, longer runtime, less current draw, less heat production, etc) .

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually use my EDC pocket light for very brief periods. Sometimes as low as 10 seconds. Other times as long as 3 minutes.

I also like to have the brightest possible pocket rocket.

My perfect EDC would probably be a small pocket-size EDC that outputs maybe 3,000 lumens on turbo but then steps down to maybe 1,000 lumens after 10 seconds or so.

If I need more runtime than that ... well... that's what lower modes are for.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with archimedes that probably 99% of general purpose lighting requires less then 50 lms. and as far as I'm concerned these "stupid bright" lights that last for a minute or two are nothing more then toys. But if that's what you're into, please, feel free.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO its better to have the option of a high output an not need it,
then to need it an not have anywhere near enough jam.

Like I said earlier jokingly, treat it like WEP, its there if you need it,
an might get you through something 50 simply can't cut, quite easily.

I use medium-high most of the time, save turbo for them times I want to see more. Higher power use in day, lower at night.
Otherwise, if I can't see in there, I'm going to volunteer your hand to find what's actually in there.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO its better to have the option of a high output an not need it,
then to need it an not have anywhere near enough jam.

This.

You could buy a light that only outputs 50 lumens and has long runtime. This will do for walking to the bathroom at night. Maybe even some limited night hiking or finding things in the closet.

or

You could buy a light that outputs 50 lumens and has long runtime ... AND... has high and turbo modes that output 1000+ lumens. The light will do everything the other one will do - AND MORE! If you need to illuminate something 200 yards away or light up your whole backyard, the same light can do the trick. You can also use it to wow your friends.

In this day and age of multimode flashlights you no longer have to decide between low output with long runtime or high output with short runtime. Now you can have both in the same light giving you tremendous flexibility!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this day and age of multimode flashlights you no longer have to decide between low output with long runtime or high output with short runtime. Now you can have both in the same light giving you tremendous flexibility!

That says it best, well done.

The valet key is for others, I want that jam when I want it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with providing super-high output on a small light, even if it's only for a short period of time. Better to have the option, than not. IMO, I prefer thermally-regulated output if possible, but a timed step-down is okay too. If the light isn't too hot to hold, you can probably safely kick it up again to high if you need it.

bdogps

Enlightened
All lights step down brightness, the thing is that Olight is being honest about it. If you look at selfbuilt reviews on torches, they all step down. Unless it is modded and have a great heat sinks, then you could make it last longer or not drop down at all. The TN36 can get too handle from selfbuilts review.

RemcoM

Enlightened
In a lot of cases, 5 minutes is more than enough time to identify what your looking for. The first step down is usually 60-70% of the turbo mode lumens, so it's not a big deal.

My Nitecore TM36 goes from 1800 lumens on turbo to 1100 lumens on high. 1100 lumens is still plenty of light on a target 4-500 yards away.

Hi NoNotAgain,

For how long, can your TM36 shine, from fully loaded batterypack, on highest intensity, before the kcd/intensity slightly drops?

When you turn it on, after fully loaded betteries..it says 4,14 V...after fully charging, it says...4,20 V..Charging Completed.

But when i turn my TM36 on, when it says...3,87 V...the Turbomode, is not more intense than the Highmode.

For how long, do you have max intensity, on your TM36, before, the turbomode slightly loose intensity?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Fireclaw18, if you need 50 lms to walk to the bathroom at night, you have some SERIOUS sight problems! I suggest that you IMMEDIATELY seek out an optometrist and have your eyes checked my friend, because you have a true emergency on your hands. And I certainly hope that you do not drive! LOL

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Wow Fireclaw18, if you need 50 lms to walk to the bathroom at night, you have some SERIOUS sight problems! I suggest that you IMMEDIATELY seek out an optometrist and have your eyes checked my friend, because you have a true emergency on your hands. And I certainly hope that you do not drive! LOL

LOL

I like the 120 lumens from my more powerful AAA lights.

I see just fine. I just like lots of light when I'm stumbling around half asleep in the middle of the night. If I'm gonna stumble or fall down a staircase, I wanna be able to see it!

markr6

Flashaholic
Crazy bright modes are ok with me as long as there are plenty of lower modes with long run times.

Even if it has a 5000lm battery killer, a 3000-4000lm mode below that with somewhat reasonable runtime is ok.

Sublumen modes can easily be unappreciated. Of course, they won't WOW you. I'm staying at my inlaws lake place this weekend and we're doing construction, so the place is a mess. I woke up twice during the night and used my sc600w on 0.4lm. It was actually more than enough so I reprogrammed it to .06lm. It sounds crazy, but at 3am it's totally fine. It kept me from tripping on thing without fully "waking" me up.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silly markr6, i have just learned, here, that you need at least 50 lms at night! There is NO way you could see with less then 1 lm! LOL