Switch Failures - 2 in less than 6 Months

SilverLugs

Newly Enlightened
Both Nightcore EC25's - one older series, and one newer series. I bought the second to replace the first that prematurely failed. So now I'm without and in-the-hunt for a similar (side switch) replacement. But this time, I expect far better quality & reliability. Does such a torch exist?...

Appreciate any wisdom shared.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum.

I have never heard of Nightcore, but I am aware of Nitecore. hehehe just picking.

Can you explain more about the switch issues? Like how, when and where? Battery types, how you use them?

In other words, what the heck are you doing to kill switches? Do you have to have a side switch?

More info. I own several Nitecore side switch lights. Not a single one has given a issue. However, I haven't owned the EC25, because I hear the switches are junk! Ha! Only kidding! I haven't heard that.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Nitecore EC25w...one of the older ones. No switch failure...yet. Only had one flashlight totally fail me and that was a Zebralight. Switch failure. But am giving the company another shot with a SC5...time will tell if I am being foolish, so far so good...but have only had it a couple weeks.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a hard drop can jam a switch and make you think the light doesn't work.

A few "technical taps" while furiously working the switch can often clear issues on a mechanical (but not a digital type) light control switch.

Aside from that, you can bypass the switch with troubleshooting techniques. There are many threads (and stickies) on this topic.

SilverLugs

Newly Enlightened
Both lights just died suddenly - no mistreatment, just doa one night. Fresh cells didn't change the symptoms nor correct the problem. Both would however, show the blinking cell voltage when inserted, but nothing when switching. I really liked the UI and side-switch arrangement, but won't buy another EC25. Now, I'm also hesitant of any future purchases without first-hand knowledge. Perhaps a custom build?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Nitecore tailcap have a retaining ring with 2 holes? If it does try tightening the retaining ring.

SilverLugs

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitecore EC25w...one of the older ones. No switch failure...yet. Only had one flashlight totally fail me and that was a Zebralight. Switch failure. But am giving the company another shot with a SC5...time will tell if I am being foolish, so far so good...but have only had it a couple weeks.
Interesting... Just tonight, I was pondering the SC600 II or the new SC62 - assuming the $85/95 would buy me increased longevity?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a bum connection. Ensure the driver circuit (often a round chip) is properly (and solidly) connected with solid (not cold solder) joints. A super drive light can melt solder which can flick out of connections on a hard drop. If it's a budget light, then it came with "cold solder joints" from the maker.

Aside from switch troubleshooting, if it came down to aspects of the system other than switch and driver, then a reflow of the emitter may indeed be the cure.

If you like Zebralight, then go for it. If you like fixing lights, then those are a little tough to work on. Lots of modders shy away HARD from modding Zebralights. It's the exception, not the case, when someone posts a real ZL mod here on CPF.

I'm all for seeing those exceptions. Throw those flags! :) Let's handle those exceptions properly! :)

--segfault: improperly handled exception. dumping core.--

Last edited:

SilverLugs

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a bum connection. Ensure the driver circuit (often a round chip) is properly (and solidly) connected with solid (not cold solder) joints. A super drive light can melt solder which can flick out of connections on a hard drop. If it's a budget light, then it came with "cold solder joints" from the maker.

Aside from switch troubleshooting, if it came down to aspects of the system other than switch and driver, then a reflow of the emitter may indeed be the cure.

If you like Zebralight, then go for it. If you like fixing lights, then those are a little tough to work on. Lots of modders shy away HARD from modding Zebralights. It's the exception, not the case, when someone posts a real ZL mod here on CPF.

I'm all for seeing those exceptions. Throw those flags! :) Let's handle those exceptions properly! :)

--segfault: improperly handled exception. dumping core.--
I'm certainly not opposed to mods or troubleshooting when time and patiences exist. However, a flashlight is a tool to me, and I'd much prefer to use it than dissect it at inopportune times. Not to mention, that the EC25 has the switch body glued to the head.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EC25, as well as multiple Nitecores, but no failures for comparison. After reading your post, I pulled my EC25 out. Sorry if this sounds stupid(no offense intended), but since this is a two stage mechanical switch, do you feel the distinct "soft click" at the first position and then hear the audible "click" at the second position? Have you used a paperclip to bypass the switch and see if it lights up? I.e. Used a paper clip to make contact between the negative end of the battery and the silver part of the body exposed when the tail cap is removed?
Since there is no retaining ring in the tailcap, can you see if both solder joints on the tailcap spring are still intact?let me know and good luck! If it comes down to sending the light back, I have owned 12 or 13 Nitecore lights and never had a problem, but I did have cause to contact them, and I was pleased with their response-the person I spoke with was very motivated to help me, and we resolved the issue over the phone. If you bought it from China and have to send it back, I sent a Zebralight back to China and had the repaired light back in under 3 weeks. I bought a Nitecore EC11, and was so impressed that when I won a $50 gift certificate from Gear Best I bought the EA11. Both have two side switches, one for on/off and one for mode selection. I also bought an EC20 so I could use the EC11 with an 18650 cell(using the body tube from EC20 and the 900 Lumen head from the EC11). Good luck!

Enlightened
Both lights just died suddenly - no mistreatment, just doa one night. Fresh cells didn't change the symptoms nor correct the problem. Both would however, show the blinking cell voltage when inserted, but nothing when switching.
That sounds a lot like the Nitecore EA8 failures that I and several other people here have had.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm certainly not opposed to mods or troubleshooting when time and patiences exist. However, a flashlight is a tool to me, and I'd much prefer to use it than dissect it at inopportune times. Not to mention, that the EC25 has the switch body glued to the head.

I'd much rather have it "just work" on a fairly new light, I feel you there. I fixed a flickery light by screwing the pill back in, worked loose in shipping. It was a ton faster than RMA and it "just worked" after that. Twisty dive light, little to go wrong.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... Just tonight, I was pondering the SC600 II or the new SC62 - assuming the $85/95 would buy me increased longevity?

Most people seem to be having good luck with their Zebralights...I like to think they improved the switch...or I just had a fluke. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. Mine was a original SC600. If my SC5 goes bad...I'm done with Zebralights. Only time and use will tell the tale. For now I can only say all lights can fail...sometimes it's just a matter of bad luck...or perhaps plenty of clicking...something the Zebra lights tend to cause one to do, with it's lack of...last level used memory.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralights which had switch issues were the older models from 2+ years ago. It can still happen but I see very few problems with the newer ones from the past few years. The Zebralights are also potted which increases durability if dropped but also makes them difficult to modify. If you want something that just works and you don't have to fiddle with they might be a good option.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Nightcore EC25's - one older series, and one newer series. I bought the second to replace the first that prematurely failed. So now I'm without and in-the-hunt for a similar (side switch) replacement. But this time, I expect far better quality & reliability. Does such a torch exist?...

Appreciate any wisdom shared.

Nitecore has never been at the top of the reliability list. Zebralights used to :poof: as well, but have seemed to really pull it together in the recent years. If it must be a side switch and reliability being a make or break, I would check out some of Fenix's offerings.

Last edited: