Need recommendation: Warm to neutral white, inexpensive, zoomable light for bicycle?

hoffsta

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop for quite a while but have done a little catchup reading on the forums. It seems the Cree XM-L2 is the most efficient emitter at this time. I'm looking to get a flashlight to mount on my bike that is relatively small and lightweight, has a decent flood or even better, is zoomable, and most importantly is in the neutral to warm white spectrum. I've seen plenty of good candidates on DX but it's really hard to tell if I'll be getting a warm white or not. Most seem to be a T6 or U2 and I think most of those are cool white (am I wrong?). Is there another source of inexpensive torches that has better descriptions of color temp, or can anyone recommend a specific model that will meet my needs? This is a pretty cheap bike so I'm hoping to keep the cost in the $20-30 range.

Thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget about the tints listed on DX. I've bought warm white and neutral whites from there, and they're all just a random bunch of cool whites.

In your price range, search for Convoy flashlight at Fasttech. I don't own any myself, but I've heard they're okay. The best thing is that you can customize them with the LED tint you want. For your purpose, probably go with a 4C or 5B emitter (neutral white). If you want warm, there's the 7A, but that might be too warm.

Search for the "Cree color chart", and it will give you an idea of how warm 4C, 5B, etc. are.

hoffsta

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link to fasttech. It's fantastic that the Convoy lights come in so many color bins and that each is listed. Wouldn't it be grand if every manufacturer did the same!!?!

Unfortunately, I didn't see any flood or zoomable models listed. Of course there were other brands but those don't state the color bin. Does anyone know if this style of torch can have the led easily swapped out? Or of another source that has what I'm looking for? Thanks again.