New Elzetta Alpha

I have to say that my new Elzetta Alpha is everything I'd hoped it would be and more! After watching their video blog on youtube I have to say Elzetta's philosophy on tactical type lights mirrors my own almost exactly. One button, no crazy modes, uniform beam with little hot spot, potted electronics- it's hard to imagine much I would want to change. The only minor thing I guess would be the clip. It works okay but it's a bit hard to install. Personally I prefer the double/reverse clip of my Surefire E1B but that's the sole thing that the Surefire does better.

For those of you with more experience with Elzetta, how do you like the AVS head vs the Malkoff? I get that the latter will be brighter but how do they compare color-wise?

And does anyone here run an Elzetta with a tape switch as a WML? If so how are you attaching the tape switch to your rifle?

Compared to which Malkoff.....M60, M60F, M61, M61N, Hound Dog?

My bad, I mean the AVS head vs the Elzetta that comes with a Malkoff head. IIRC they offer an M60 or an M60F. I don't know if any other Malkoff drop ins will fit. So far I only have the one, an Alpha, but I foresee getting at least one or two more. At least a Bravo, maybe a Charlie.

At one point I didn't want to spend Elzetta-money for WMLs for all of my long guns, but the Alpha is so good that I'm starting to think I can't afford not to put them on all my guns! I love the Inforce/Haley WML on that I have on my AR but there's no doubt that it's not in the same league as the Elzetta. The Inforce has the best switching system I've used bar none. I think maybe an Alpha or Bravo mounted as close to the gun as possible with a tape switch might work about as well, though.

Pictures Please :)

I'll try to get a couple pics soon. At the moment I can't figure out where I stashed my real camera.:confused: So just my 'Droid camera is all I have on hand.

rickyro

Enlightened
My bad, I mean the AVS head vs the Elzetta that comes with a Malkoff head. IIRC they offer an M60 or an M60F. I don't know if any other Malkoff drop ins will fit. So far I only have the one, an Alpha, but I foresee getting at least one or two more. At least a Bravo, maybe a Charlie.

At one point I didn't want to spend Elzetta-money for WMLs for all of my long guns, but the Alpha is so good that I'm starting to think I can't afford not to put them on all my guns! I love the Inforce/Haley WML on that I have on my AR but there's no doubt that it's not in the same league as the Elzetta. The Inforce has the best switching system I've used bar none. I think maybe an Alpha or Bravo mounted as close to the gun as possible with a tape switch might work about as well, though.

I'll try to get a couple pics soon. At the moment I can't figure out where I stashed my real camera.:confused: So just my 'Droid camera is all I have on hand.

I have one Bravo AVS Oveready bored 18650 and one Malkoff MD2 turnkey with M61.

I think M61 can also be fit into Bravo normal head to replace the M60.

They are very different. AVS is TIR with a very small white center and then a big yellow hotspot, then large spill with no clear edge. M61 is just normal reflector beam.

Check Flashlight guide for more detailed info.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some help please.

I've looked at the website and I'm confused about the heads and emitters. I always thought that the Elzetta took Malkoff modules but it looks like Elzetta has their own AVS head? Are there different heads or just different emitters? Will a Malkoff module fit all of the Elzetta heads or do you have to get a specific one?

What I really want to know is whether any Malkoff module can be used in an Alpha because I was thinking that an M361 with the high/low tailcap would be a pretty sweet 6 mode light. Is this possible?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to have a Malkoff drop made for the Elzetta specifically.

Next, on the Alpha, I had one of the first ones to come out. It developed a problem with the PCB located in the rear Twist High/Low tail switch. They replaced it free of charge (obviously I paid shipping). They did the repairs super quickly and had it back in my grubby paws within a week. Otherwise great light. I assume they have tweaked the design? But I am not sure about that. If shipping to the US is a issue, I would inquire as to if they have "fixed" this issue. I say this because I have read of it happening to other Alphas with the High/Low twist cap.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Some help please.

I've looked at the website and I'm confused about the heads and emitters. I always thought that the Elzetta took Malkoff modules but it looks like Elzetta has their own AVS head? Are there different heads or just different emitters? Will a Malkoff module fit all of the Elzetta heads or do you have to get a specific one?

What I really want to know is whether any Malkoff module can be used in an Alpha because I was thinking that an M361 with the high/low tailcap would be a pretty sweet 6 mode light. Is this possible?
I don't think there is a Malkoff dropin available for the Alpha. The Bravo & Charley heads are not compatible with the Alpha. The Alpha does pretty good @ 315 lm.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzettas used to use Malkoff LED modules exclusively. This is no longer the case with the Alpha and AVS head.

The Alpha's LED assembly is integral to the head, which is integral to the body, and Malkoff modules aren't compatible with it. This is contrast to the Bravo and Charlie that have heads/bezels that can be removed and replaced with any Malkoff module and a bezel.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, that makes sense. It's a shame though. I guess it allows them to make it smaller.

By now I have four Elzettas, two with AVS heads, one with an M60 and one with a Malkoff M61N. And I have a slew of Malkoff lights and modules including two MDCs (one 3 mode and a 1 mode) and a bunch of M61 dropins (M61N, M61L, M61L Nichia 219, M61W & M61WL). After living with them all I would not replace the AVS with a Malkoff dropin even if such a thing was possible. The Elzetta AVS system seems as bombproof as the Malkoffs and are also fully potted. Subjectively the Elzetta AVS heads have color/tint that's very comparable to the M61s (better than some and equal to the best). IMOHO one is not better than the other; they're nice complements to each other, each with its own strengths.

LED Monkey

Enlightened
Rob, have you tried using a 16650 cell in a Bravo? Just curious, I've got a couple in the mail inbound right now to try out in my Bravo . I may get a bored body to try at some point too.

I don't use rechargeable batteries in lights. The only ones I even have are some Eneloops I use in my remotes. I'm a pretty hardcore user of lithium batteries, not sure if the 16650 would fit or not (my guess is not).

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
They have a new alpha out? Interesting, i have the standard/old one and it's ok. Doesn't throw, funky artifact beam, terrible clip. A bulletproof light I'm sure, that's why it sits on my carbine. I sure wouldn't mind a 2 cell with a Malkoff drop in though. It could double as a hammer at work. I'm not sure how long my P1R will work as a hammer but it's held up so far.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"funky artifact beam," SVT-TOY, Get this. When I sent my light back to get the tail cap fixed. I asked them to look at the dust or debris in the lens. They claim it was "a normal level of striations". Meaning, live with it. That is pretty lame excuse for a light this price. Other than this completely mind numbing excuse, I love the light. BTW, you can use a Darksucks TI clip on it. Works well.

So, would I buy one again?? I am on the fence. Most all of my brain is saying yes, but the there is the part in the back nagging me with with, WTH I paid $150 and I have to live with junk in the lens??
I actually commented on this when the lights first came out. Here is a old pic of a Alpha vs Surefire E1D. I wiped the lens of the Alpha before this photo to get the funk off (no luck). For comparison, the Surefire was straight out of my pocket. BTW: The tint of the Alpha is excellent.
grillz_zps1d89ecab.jpg

kj2

Flashaholic
My Alpha also has debris in the lens, but the one in my Bravo is almost clean. But the shouldn't be any inside IMO. They're 'bragging' about quality, so this should be solved in the near future.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Guys, guys, guys.....

The Alpha is designed to be a close quarters back up light. The thing is diffused on purpose.
It's a cop light, not meant to be critiqued by wall shots, but to provide a gianumbous amount of light in the face of a bad guy without blinding the user....at 25' or less.

It has an optional pressure switch for use on pistols and has shortened tailcap threads to facilitate rapid battery swap when in a hurry.

The Alpha is a very misunderstood niche light that once understood fills the role better than any other cop light made. Elzetta engineers are building lights with certain aspects in mind that typical flashlight hobbyists do not think of.

Ok back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Elzetta has responded (I believe to 880arm) that the Alpha will run on RCR123s. I've been using mine almost exclusively on IMR 16340s. The output dims significantly well before the cell voltage is reduced to an unacceptable level.

The additional voltage also increases the output to somewhere North of 400 lumens, possibly nearly 500.

Last edited: