Help choosing LED light for work. *underground*

hjs2

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, looking for some help choosing a new light for work. I work underground, and need need a torch that is bright, has a decent range and preferably rechargeable.

I'll be using the torch in situations that my regular cap lamp isn't bright enough for, so will be stored in my workbag most of the time. I currently own a Lenser P17, and a Fenix Tk75. Both are too long, and in the tk75's case too bulky for my needs.

Willing to pay more for a light that can withstand the tough underground conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a better (more lumens) headlamp?

What kind of underground work will the light be used for? What sort of distance (throw) are you needing? Do you have a max budget?

What besides what you wrote is it about the TK75 that makes the light not usable? Can you leave the TK75 case behind? Anything worth a Tinker's Damn is going have some size to it to hold the batteries.

You can looking into a midsize light; the Nitecore EC4 or both the EC4 and the HC90 headlamp.

Disclosure; I'm a Nitecore fanboy and have a TM16, EC4 and a HC90 along with a D4 battery charger. I use Orbtronic protected 3400 mAh 18650 batteries.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want tough, check out Armytek's line of lights. I like the Prime's. They relatively inexpensive, very tough (drop standards well above most other manufacturers), not large, and quite bright. They're a little more heavy than comparable lights, but that's because of the rugged build. Best thing: available in warm white if you want. The cool white isn't bad, either, because it's closer to neutral than most other manufacturer's cool whites.

I don't think they have any plug-in rechargeable lights, if that's what you need. But you can use rechargeable batteries in them, of course, if you don't mind charging them separately.

I'd also recommend Zebralight, if you want something very compact. Perhaps not as tough, but their small size makes carrying them easy. If it's not suitable for your primary light, it would make a good back-up.

mhanlen

Enlightened
An awesome combo is an armytek wizard pro for a headlamp and a predator or Viking for your flashlight. But seeing as your light was a 3000 lumen screamer I don't know if you'd be happy downgrading to someone around or less than a thousand lumens. If you're looking for something a lot smaller but the same amount or more than the tk75... Check out the Noctigon Meteor.

LessDark

Enlightened
What about the Eagletac MX25L3C for a bit smaller size but about the same output, or the M30LC2C for even smaller size.