Pelican LED...1st impression

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am not really experienced nor qualified enough to completely review any light but I was very impressed with this light.I got it today and the first thing I noticed was the switch has a great feel to it however is a red color. I dont know why this is but it is not really a problem.As far as actual light output I must say that this light is very bright and I feel sure the 41 lumen output is correctly advertized on the package.I really do not have any 2 123 cell light to compare it to.I do know that it is not in L4 territory however it does clobber the L1.Actually I do think it is almost close to the L4 as far as output and even has better throw.It is not as blinding pure white as the L4 but it is a very good color for the cost.It is also fairly easy to focus and can be changed to fill a large area or brought down to a pretty tight hot spot with great throw.All in all I really do like this light and will plan a comparision of the L4 owned by my friend Owen as soon as I can.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure would like to see a comparison of the PM6-LED and the Streamlight TL2-LED.
I just received the TL2-LED, and it brighter than I thought it would be.

Now, should I get a PM6 LED? I bet someone here has both or soon will. Not me of course.
The Pelican is a little more expensive, as I paid $49.50 for my TL2LED, and the best price I have seen for the Pelican is $55.

Jerry

Robocop

Robk it is the PM6 led version.It is identical almost in every way to the incan version with the exception of a Luxeon LED and different switch.I also want to see a test between the PM6 and TL2 as far as beam quality and brightness.The main reason I went with the Pelican was the actual look of the body.It is just a slick looking little light.The TL2 is a little plain for my tastes.

jbroker83

Enlightened
I own both...the PM6 LED is indeed slightly brighter....but the TL-2 has a "softer" color....I believe the TL-2 LED is rated at 22 Lumens, from the various publications I've seen.

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
I was running some errands today and decided to stop by BrightGuy to check out a Streamlight 3AA Luxeon when Greg told me that they had just gotten a shipment of Pelican M6 LED's in (I was told they have two or three dozen in stock). I got to compare them with the Surefire L1, L4, L6 and Streamlight TL-2 LED. In my totally unscientific opinion of beam color and brightness, it fell somewhere between the TL-2 and L4. That along with the price is what sold me.

When it came to getting the flashlight, I got to compare two of them and pick the one with the beam color that I liked. One was fairly white while the other had a bit of purple in it.

I don't have a large selection of Luxeon lights, but I'll try to get a comparison of the beamshots with the PM6 LED and my Arc LSL-P tonight.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know how many Ma the LED is getting and what the runtime is.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe someone will have a good sale, and I will get one to go with my TL-2LED. I do like my PM6, and think for the price it is the best of the 2L incandescents. In fact I had to get another. I talked to Botach today, as I had ordered a black one for $24.50 or so, and they have silver so I asked them to substitute. Should be shipped along with my other order today.

I wish I had asked about the PM6 LED, but was afraid I would buy one.

I am very pleased with the TL-2LED.

Jerry

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I waiting to see how the PM6 LED compairs to my modded PM6. Mine has a modified reflector, McModule with a BD400 R2H LS and a Kroll switch. My light meter shows 930 footcandles at one foot and a runtime of four hours!

Do a search on PM6 in the Reviews Forum to find the review showing the beam shots.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wolfen said:
I would like to know how many Ma the LED is getting and what the runtime is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. (Especially about the Ma)

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a way of measuring the current draw, but the manual says that battery life is 40 hours but that "brightness will noticeably decline after 4 hours of operation." So I'm guessing anywhere from 3-4 hours of usable light.

Robocop

I would love to see the test between these lights.I have both the LED and Incan. and the LED is awesome.It will give a good fight to the Incan.as well as the Mod.For the money it is a beautiful bargain with good sidespill and very good throw.
My LED is making the rounds at work with several co-workers lined up to try it for a night.I am off for a few days and loaned it out.It is a big hit as it has both good brightness and the throw that any officer needs.If I get it back soon I will see about a test using my light.I know Craig takes good care of his loaners and his reviews are a valuable resource.
I will keep you posted on the status of my light.It is so popular at work that my friends have used it more than me.I have really got a lot of officers interested in this light hobby of mine.It all started with a recent building search at which I was just waiting to try my new toy.
My Arc has already amazed many with its output and size but the Pelican is a different animal.
I turned it on and it was so white against several other officers lights and such a pretty beam.Immediately everyone wanted to know...what kind of light is that?
Sad to say many of my co-workers never knew anything else about lights other than the 2D mag.(dept issue)
I have a lot of curious officers now that are just waiting to try different things.The Pelican LED is almost good enough to use as a main light but I still use my Commander for throw.If the Pelican was rechargeable...well that would be a great addition to this light.
Sorry so long but I was bored and got to talking....I will see about getting my light back and let Craig know if I can get it to him.