Do I Still Need A Surefire L4 ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I ordered the ARC LSL special, and I was upgraded to the ARC LSH-S light.

The LSH is now my EDC light.

My question:

It was always my plan to also purchase a SF L4. What are the pros and cons of the SF L4 vs. my new ARC LSH (for use as an EDC light) ?

Thanks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The problem with the L4 is size ... it is a totally different beast than the Arc and is quite bigger. For me, this rules it out as an EDC.
Performance-wise it eats the Arc alive, except for a runtime of about 65min regulated.
bernhard

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry both Arc LSH and SureFire L4. Both have different uses. Bernhard is right, the performance is outstanding. The runtime is only around 65 minutes, but I haven't had mine fall out of regulation with quite a lot of use over more than 2 months.

Do you need one? Maybe not, but if you can justify it even in the slightest, get one. For its size, it's a great LED with a great beam pattern.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I guess with all the talk about two brightness levels being a cool feature for the L4, and given that the A2 sort of has it and the L1 does, I would wait for them to make that change. They have GOT to be working on it.

J

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC the L4 and love it. The output is great and the clip keeps it in its place for rapid deployment. I've considered the LS but just don't want to give up the power of the L4 and pocket clip. They are the same price as well but you get charged more for a "premium" LS. The size is not a problem, I forget I have mine with me so I don't see why some think it's too big. Fishing in my pocket for the LS or having to wear a holster just never appealed to me. If you do any physical work the LS in your pocket will jab you eventually.

d'mo

Enlightened
I had an L4 and sold it. Don't get me wrong, it was a great light, and extremely bright, but, like others, too big for comfortable EDC for me.

Besides, much to my amazement, my modified Arc LS had better throw, particularly impressive for a one battery flashlight. It didn't put out anywhere near as much light, but the considerably narrower beam is more suited to how I use a flashlight.

Now, if the L4 was equipped with a narrow beam reflector, I might have to rethink L4's size for EDC.

kaseri

Enlightened
I had an L4 as well but sold it. I like to EDC an E1e body with a McLux PR-T-BB611 with a bead blasted reflector. Now that light has a beautiful flood beam. No real throw to speak of but an amazing flood beam.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
L4 is a good compromise ! It accept Pila 168S for the same brightness than 123A, size is acceptable to fit in pocket. And it is very bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
But.....I am waiting for my ARC4+ and perhaps in few month for 2x123A adaptor....and I'll probably prefer it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
The L4 continues to be my all-around favorite flashlight. I like the Arc LSH alot too, but the L4 just has more "wow" factor, perfect ergonomics and fit and finish, and amazing light quantity and color. I love the switch, the clip, the knurling, the styling. And c'mon guys, it's larger than an Arc LS, yes, but it's not THAT big. Still much smaller than a 2AA light and it fits in pocket or belt just fine. In my mind the L4 is still the one to beat. I have several and I use and enjoy them every day.

Dave