Best EDC flashlight!

Lantern32

Enlightened
EDIT- Please see latest post regarding a Malkoff flashlight head. I need to know battery options. A quick answer helps a ton!

Hello CPF!

I currently own a Nitecore TM26 and an Olight M2Xvn (decked out with mods), but I just realized that I have no EDC lights! I'm going to buy 2 EDC lights.

I want one compact EDC with a lot of power. If you know any modded EDC lights from Vinh, let me know because I'm a fan of his lights.

I also want a rugged EDC. When I think about going in a rainstorm with my Nitecore TM26 or Olight M2Xvn, I get worried because of the cost of them. Surefire EDC lights are kind of expensive, but I'm fine going with them if there is really a big step up.

I appreciate any recommendactions, but please specify models of lights. I have a huge list of brands that make quality flashlights, but I'm trying to find specific models! Thanks!

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
I recommend an EagleTac D25A Clicky, I've been carrying one for a few years now and it's the best size for my pocket.
Okay. I will check that one out. Would you say it's really durable? I am debating wether this would be in the lumen or durability category, maybe it's neutral? :laughing:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want rugged at a moderate price, check out Armytek's Prime line of lights. Various battery configs, available in warm tint (great for outdoors). Very solidly built, nice easy UI, and good mode spacing. Quite bright, too.

If they're a little large, you could try a Zebralight SC62. Smallest 1000 lumen light you can buy. Not quite as rugged, but still well-built (potted electronics), great UI, and available in neutral white.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also want a rugged EDC. When I think about going in a rainstorm with my Nitecore TM26 or Olight M2Xvn, I get worried because of the cost of them. Surefire EDC lights are kind of expensive, but I'm fine going with them if there is really a big step up.

I appreciate any recommendactions, but please specify models of lights. I have a huge list of brands that make quality flashlights, but I'm trying to find specific models! Thanks!

From past conversations, you know I like the Nitecore EC4.

What do you think of the Nitecore MH20?

...................................Nitecore MH20 review. Scroll down about half-way for beam shots.

As to getting wet, the TM26 has an IPX-8 rating so with covers properly in place, the TM26 will do just fine in the rain.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
If you want rugged at a moderate price, check out Armytek's Prime line of lights. Various battery configs, available in warm tint (great for outdoors). Very solidly built, nice easy UI, and good mode spacing. Quite bright, too.

If they're a little large, you could try a Zebralight SC62. Smallest 1000 lumen light you can buy. Not quite as rugged, but still well-built (potted electronics), great UI, and available in neutral white.
Great! I have heard good things about zebralight and Armytek. What is it that makes armytek so strong?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! This is extremely helpful to me! You probably don't even know how helpfu it it, but I'm so happy I didn't need to open up like 70 links on the V54 light list!
You're welcome. Enjoy picking the options, for there are many. Also, you can PM Vinh and ask what he's got on hand atm and such. He's very responsive.

Lantern32

Enlightened
From past conversations, you know I like the Nitecore EC4.

What do you think of the Nitecore MH20?

...................................Nitecore MH20 review. Scroll down about half-way for beam shots.

As to getting wet, the TM26 has an IPX-8 rating so with covers properly in place, the TM26 will do just fine in the rain.
I know the IPX rating of my TM26, but I just don't trust that switch. It is a little metal plate, with some hardened silicone around it. It has some weird groves in it, and also some unusual markings. I would absolutely hate for anything to happen to it.

My M2Xvn is just too special to take out in the rain :). It's a fiat lux, and I don't want it to be no lux because of water lol.
How would the MH20 do with a little bit of torture? Like everyday in my pocket, drops, water, bangs?

The nitecore EC4 seems like a cool one too! lol

Lantern32

Enlightened
You're welcome. Enjoy picking the options, for there are many. Also, you can PM Vinh and ask what he's got on hand atm and such. He's very responsive.
Yes, I feel bad messaging him. I feel that he is so busy all the time! lol

Lantern32

Enlightened
I'm surprised I haven't heard from anyone about Olight or Surefire! Or HDS to be fair!

Lantern32

Enlightened
Heh, there's a reason he's usually busy. He always seems to have time for a CPFer inquiring about this or that emitter and such.
Yeah haha. Do you know any of his lights that are compact and take 18650? The ones you sent me take double aa, but I have a whole bin of 18650 batteries.lol

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! I have heard good things about zebralight and Armytek. What is it that makes armytek so strong?

They're built to much higher ratings than most other lights in that price range. For example, they rate their lights to a drop from 10 meters, most other lights are only 1 meters. The water rating is to 10 meter depth, most other lights are only 1 or 2 meters. They have a dust rating, most other lights don't have any. Etc.

If you hold the light, you'll quickly see why they are tougher. Thicker walls, large bezel protecting the lens, double o-rings, thick anodizing.

However, they weigh a bit more, and are a little more bulky, because of the ruggedness. I like them for an outdoor light to carry in a jacket pocket. They're a bit too big to EDC for me, but I like my lights tiny for that.

Zebralights specialize in small, powerful lights, so I prefer to EDC them. Still very well built, but probably wouldn't take a 10 meter fall.