mule flashlights - how would you use it?

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the world of exotic flashlights, but in browsing various manufacturers, I have come across the TnC family of pocket mule flashlights, which are defined as flashlights that have no optic and produce a wide beam with uniform illumination. I can see how this might be nice in a small pocket flashlight that is being used for close-up work or to illuminate a room. If you have one, or have considered one, I'm interested hearing about in the uses for which you think they are preferable, particularly in a small light.

Thanks

Stellar Canuck

scout24

Flashaholic
Using the search bar, type in "How do you use your Mule?" Which will bring up a thread from 2007 that is just as relevant today as then. Also starts the Mule history lesson for you! :) A long road pioneered by McGizmo, who still makes some of the best. Enjoy, and welcome to CPF!

nbp

Flashaholic
Love me some Mule flood. If you do a lot of close up work indoors, or use a light in a small area like a tent or camper regularly, the smooth floody beam of a Mule is glorious.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get spoiled with mule lights, you don't have to pan them around. If you're used to lights that are mostly spot, you'll catch yourself unnecessarily panning it around.

Mule lights excel at NOT TRIPPING AND FALLING while walking. :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them as spare battery containers :D. Mules are often designed for ultra-compactness and are barely bigger than the cell itself. If I think I need to carry a spare battery, might as well have a spare flashlight too.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them as spare battery containers :D. Mules are often designed for ultra-compactness and are barely bigger than the cell itself. If I think I need to carry a spare battery, might as well have a spare flashlight too.
Nice.
I've no mule, but have scooped cell from second EDC light for use in first light before, in essence a mule I guess..☺👍

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.
I've no mule, but have scooped cell from second EDC light for use in first light before, in essence a mule I guess..[emoji5][emoji106]

haha..... Urban dictionary defines mule, "a carrier of things for someone else"

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironic to me, my family had blue ribbon mules back on farm when I was a kid. I'll never forget how hard they kicked and fought.
Was my first broken bones.

I don't care much for mules these days.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Mule when working right in front of my face during the day and to get to the Bathroom at night.
It is a little disorienting at first to see that light is there but not see any far reaching effects of it at the same time.
It can be a great thing though for lack of shadow and just smooth even flood everywhere it reaches.

I use my Eiger Mule 219 to see just how little light I can function easily using it at night and it is pretty amazing when there is no glare at all how useful the light is to me.
I use the ZL Headlamp Mule mainly when soldering and repairing gear on a bench 2 feet in front of me.

Like almost every tool I have these serve the purpose the best that I can find.

wjv

Enlightened
The Spark SG & SP lights are lights that are super floody even though they have reflectors. The front lens/reflector screws right off and it becomes a mule in 3 seconds. Or you can add on the throw reflector and convert it to a thrower. I'd imagine the Zebralights (SC5, SC52) and such are also extremely floody.

scout24

Flashaholic
I highly doubt it would take that long for you to be convinced... :) I do have an MDC body, Aleph Mule head, and one of Don's 119v hich cr-i AA 1.5v heads I'd be willing to let you test drive, though. PM your shipping addy, use it indoors for a week...

nbp

Flashaholic
I highly doubt it would take that long for you to be convinced... :) I do have an MDC body, Aleph Mule head, and one of Don's 119v hich cr-i AA 1.5v heads I'd be willing to let you test drive, though. PM your shipping addy, use it indoors for a week...

Oooh, that's a nice little package. I have been meaning to grab one of those Aleph Mule heads from the Shoppe and build another little Mule on the cheap. I think even recombinantdeoxyribonucleicacid would like that one!