Strange charging indication on new nitecore MH20

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
I just received my MH20 in the mail and after using it for a short time decided to top off the 18650 with its USB charging feature. The light is suppose to blink once per 1.5 secs while charging, solid when full and rapid blinking when there's a problem. I plugged it in and it was blinking once per 1.5 secs then left it over night and it was still blinking once per 1.5 secs 10 hours later. I tried plugging it in without a battery and again with the polarity flipped but it still blinked once per 1.5 secs indicating it was charging fine. I don't have my multi meter with me but the flashlights internal voltmeter shows me the battery has never went above 4.2 volts. What's going on?

The battery is a 4 year old Xtar 2600 mah 18650

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
High IR in that cell?
Do you have another to test with?

Or wait for Chris or one the Wiz's to get another idear.

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
Not at the moment. It's in the mail but I don't expect it to arrive any time soon.

Either way, shouldn't the light detect there is no battery or reversed polarity and shown the problem indication?

Edit: Actually I do have another battery. It's also a 4 year old Xtar but I'll try it out.

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
Alright, while charging the 2nd battery, I decided to interrupt charging by unscrewing the tail cap thus cutting off the battery which would simulate the PCB engaging. Still blinks once per 1.5 secs as if nothing happened. Does this mean I've received light with a faulty charger?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this mean I've received light with a faulty charger?

It never hurts to start with new batteries. As to the light having a faulty charger, that's way out of my pay grade. My apologies on that point.

My thinking, eliminate the battery and then you can look at the light as the problem.

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the problem lies with the batteries. They have never had a problem and the flashlight does the same thing to both of them. Besides, the light also indicated that it's charging while not having a battery in it in the first place.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested mine.
Rapid blinking without cell in it,
Or if connection is cut.

Send it back.
Unless you've a failing wall wart, test with another.

Last edited:

PandaLight

Newly Enlightened
Do you have an independent battery charger you can charge the batteries in to take charging off the light?
Yes I have one, and I also now have access to my multi meter but I am now convinced it is a problem with the flashlight.

I just tested mine.
Rapid blinking without cell in it,
Or if connection is cut.

Send it back.
Unless you've a failing wall wart, test with another.

I messaged the seller on ebay I bought the light from about the problem. I tried it with a different USB cord and wall adapter with the same results.

Damn, I was pretty happy it came 3 weeks ahead of schedule too... :mecry:

goldenlight

Enlightened
May I ask why you purchased from an eBay seller?

Probably got a good price.

The good thing is that Paypal really favors the buyer. If the seller won't exchange the light for you, file a complaint with Paypal. You'll get your money back. The only downside is that you will have to ship it back to the seller at your cost. I'm sorry you got a bad flashlight, and have to deal with the return or exchange, but the worst case is you pay to return the flashlight, and you'll get your money back.

If you don't want to return/exchange the flashlight, you could just recharge your 18650's on your external charger. I doubt that I will ever use the internal charger on the MH20 I just ordered. I'll try it once, but that's it. I have several 18650 flashlights. I use a Nitecore Digi D4, which charges a single 3400MAH 18640 in less than 4 hours. Longer if I charge more than one, of course. Anyway, it's an option.

If your MH20 has a really nice tint, that's what I would probably do. I'd rather have a light with a really good tint, than the working internal charger. But that's me. If you really need/want the internal charging circuit, it will take some time, and cost you the return shipping, but Paypal will make sure you get a new light, or your money back, if the seller doesn't have one to ship to you right away. Be SURE to ask the seller about shipping time, so they don't make you wait weeks while they scrounge up a replacement. That's just not fair to you, and I'm sure Paypal would make them refund, instead of having to wait to get a replacement. Check the seller's Ebay sales pages, to see if he is still selling more MH20's.

Again. I'm really sorry you got a bad flashlight. I know how unhappy I would be, if this happened to me. Quality control from Nitecore is usually very good, but it is a Chinese made flashlight, and not a (horrendously expensive) American made Surefire.

Good luck.