BLF MANKER A6 tail cap switch out

TacticalFleshlight

Newly Enlightened
I just posted this over on BLF but it can't hurt to ask here too.I noticed that the blue and red Convoy S2s have a metal clicky switch. Would that swap into my new BLF A6? Either that or just the switch or the entire tail cap.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the modders here will know more about this than I do, but I think you have to be careful about current.

The BLF A6 Special Edition (note that Manker was dropped from the name) runs in direct drive. After a spring-bypass, it can draw more than 5 amps from the best high-draw batteries. Even without a spring-bypass, current can be above 4 amps.

Any switch you swap in must be able to handle these currents over the long haul.

This post at BLF refers to others on the subject. It might get you started you in the right direction so you can learn more.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
It's threaded into the red/blue tailcap. The tailcaps aren't Interchangeable I believe (Manker threading error) so no. It won't work.

gunga

Flashaholic
Not really sure. I'm getting a blue host and have a Gray 18350 host. I'll take a look when the blue one arrives. Note that the metal button is NOT water proof.

How about silver? You could just strip the anodizing from a red or blue host? I was thinking of that.

TacticalFleshlight

Newly Enlightened
Ya I could entertain the idea of just stripping the anodizing off.
Off to YouTube to see what is involved in doing that.
Although it not being waterproof is a thorn in my side.
I'm sure more challenging problems have been solved.

gunga

Flashaholic
I did a light recently. Drain cleaner, toothbrush, rubber gloves. Maybe protection for eyes. And some ventilation. Took about 20-30 minutes. Not too hard.

TacticalFleshlight

Newly Enlightened
So it turns out I can just do a straight swap of the tailcap.

And with most of the anodizing taken off

2015-11-15%2019.28.28_zpsgyqfkhlf.jpg

2015-11-15%2021.05.24_zpsgpyjczam.jpg

I kind of like the blue ring
2015-11-15%2019.29.41_zpskhy6mskc.jpg

gunga

Flashaholic
Nice job! I just ended up putting some a6 guts into a convoy blue host. Really like it though the a6 has better, more grippy, knurling.