Corrosion cleanup in Maratac copper AA flashlight

pwnc

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how to remove the spring from the tail end of the tube in this Maratac copper AA light? I had an alkaline battery corrode while inside and I want to save the flashlight.
b54da2ac5f0cd99eea23d25ac1b965b7.jpg

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
Alkaline leaks hardens and become like a strong glue, vinegar -AFAIK- is the acid that best reacts with Alkaline corrosion, put some high acidity vinegar in a syringe and apply on the corrosion on what ever spring you are trying to remove.

If you're not able to open the tail-cap to remove the battery, it's a severe corrode on the threads of the tube, I don't know if the copper threads will resist being destroyed, any way.. the rubber O ring -if still exists- will prevent the vinegar from reaching the corrosion inside, you have to remove it somehow, if successful to apply the vinegar it will start to make bobbles that means it's reacting, resume to add more and more until you can open the tail-cap.

And wear some disposable gloves. Wish you luck..

P.S. I don't know if vinegar is strong enough to a point that can alter the copper colour but I don't think so, as it's acid is like 10% max i think, you might want to be sure of that first.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW> (as you know by now) Copper & alkaline batteries don't play well together. I suggest running Energizer Lithium or Eneloops. Hope that helps you and others in the future. :p

I have used Citric Acid to clean up battery messes. It also works wonders on Rust. Then when your done, you can lick your fingers. Or make some yummy sour gummy worms. :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW> (as you know by now) Copper & alkaline batteries don't play well together. I suggest running Energizer Lithium or Eneloops. Hope that helps you and others in the future. :p

I have used Citric Acid to clean up battery messes. It also works wonders on Rust. Then when your done, you can lick your fingers. Or make some yummy sour gummy worms. :)

Alkaline battery mess and just about any metal don't play well together other than the super alloys high in nickel content.

Friends don't let friends use alkaline batteries or fly Robinson helicopters.

Citric acid works OK, but if you have a shop that sells photographic supplied, acetic acid will work much faster. Pour the acid inside, wait 3-5 minutes, dump and repeat, then rinse with clear water. The acetic acid will remove any patina you have on the outside of the light.