Armytek Predator Pro V3 Limited Edition

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Besides the single thread under the Armytek forum, there isn't much input or beamshots from people who own the High Intensity version (540 meter throw). Does anyone have any experience with this light or care to share any photos of the beam? I have one on the way, and after hearing some troubling things about the beam and reliability, I'm a bit concerned.

Thanks

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. I can get you some beamshots sometime if you really want to see them, but I can say that it isn't great. My beam is quite ringy and uneven. I also tested it at 48k cd, which is 438m - quite short of the claims. I really feel like the reflector isn't quite focused as well as it could be for this emitter.

Given those negatives, I actually still really like the light. Armytek builds a solid light and this one is no exception. Matte anodizing is fantastic. Its a good "tactical" UI, and its still really a very strong light, even if it does fall short of its promises. My biggest gripes about the light really come from how Armytek has handled this release, not with the light itself. I'd just like them to admit that they really oversold this light and that its not what it was promised to be.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. I can get you some beamshots sometime if you really want to see them, but I can say that it isn't great. My beam is quite ringy and uneven. I also tested it at 48k cd, which is 438m - quite short of the claims. I really feel like the reflector isn't quite focused as well as it could be for this emitter.

Given those negatives, I actually still really like the light. Armytek builds a solid light and this one is no exception. Matte anodizing is fantastic. Its a good "tactical" UI, and its still really a very strong light, even if it does fall short of its promises. My biggest gripes about the light really come from how Armytek has handled this release, not with the light itself. I'd just like them to admit that they really oversold this light and that its not what it was promised to be.

I also raised doubts, about the Dobermann Pro as well, but the AT rep here insisted that the advertised specs for both are the measured specs: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tical-lights&p=4741512&viewfull=1#post4741512

Seems like the lights are still rolling off the shelves though. People either don't know or don't care....

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've read through that thread at length. I know Armytek is standing beside their numbers. There's just no way in hell that those are tested numbers. Somebody did some funny math based on the other "normal run" lights and just went with it, probably before these lights had even been built, and then they never went back and updated them based on actual real-world performance. Its lazy and dishonest, and has left a really bad taste in my mouth for Armytek -- which is a shame because, like I said, I really like the light. If I had bought it as a 450m light from the very beginning I'd probably be a lot happier with it.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I went ahead and took those beamshots for anyone who wants to see. Please note that this is NOT a white wall, its a pale blue. The actual tint of the beam is much nicer than this, but we're not really talking about tint here anyway..

First, the entire beam. Note the brighter ring around the hotspot:

gZr6uv2.jpg

What you can't see in that image is how the hotspot itself isn't very even. Its got an even hotter spot right in the center, and in fact the whole thing kind of has a gradient to it. This way-underexposed shot kinda shows what I'm talking about:

VN9o3Jj.jpg

sdr

Newly Enlightened
Your beam shots are just about what I experienced when I had one...briefly. In fact, when I did a side by side comparison with my original v2.5, I was very disappointed with what I saw. Considering that the LE v3 was hyped to out-throw the previous version by so much more I was actually anticipating a much tighter, more highly focussed, hot-spot. That certainly wasn't what I observed. Then there was the issue with the malfunctioning strobe feature that prompted me to box it right back up and return it for a refund. So the disappointment was very short lived for me. I did like the tint, however. That's about it.

ncgrass

Enlightened
Thanks for those beamshots. I'm not an owner, nor will I be. But my predator 2.5 has passed expectations. Always interesting to compare generations

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Emarkd, thanks for the photos. That corona appears to be very troubling. How would you say it handles outdoors?

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well outside its a lot better. Whitewall hunting always brings out every flaw in a beam, and no beam is perfect. I like this better than my M23 Javelot, which also kind of underperformed I though. So outdoors I'd say its really a nice light. Like I said earlier, the worst part about this light is Armytek's attitude towards it. Unlike some of the other guys above me here, I'm keeping this light and enjoying it, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine doesn't seem as focused nearly as well as it could either. If the 430m throw for the Predator XPL-HI is true, then I guess it's comparable to the M23 Javelot, which isn't too bad. I'm just disappointed that it's not anywhere near advertised. I thought I was getting something really special, because I was under the impression that Armytek reflectors are ultra deep compared to other lights, thus having a narrower beam.

emarkd, my Predator doesn't have the rings, but yours does seem better focused than mine by a little bit. Also, my LED is off-centered, and it shows in the corona of these beam-shots. Notice the oblong corona. (The dark rings in the pictures are a camera artifact-- my actual beam has no rings.) Second pic is a lower output mode and shows the hotspot within a hotspot effect. Honestly I see the same thing on the olight and eagletac lights with XPL-HI, so it might be an XPL-HI thing.

oBmRjir.jpg

c0ZRAtN.jpg

Last edited:

LessDark

Enlightened
I have a Barracude LE, and it has the same beam as mentioned here. A somewhat tight hotspot, but with a bright corona around it. It's like a bright ring, annoys me a bit when wall hunting, but that's not how these lights are supposed to be usef so I guess it's ok. That said I really like the light and prefer using it in the 1x18650 configuration.
It still annoys me though, knowing that these lights could throw further if they were focused better....

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Mine doesn't seem as focused nearly as well as it could either. If the 430m throw for the Predator XPL-HI is true, then I guess it's comparable to the M23 Javelot, which isn't too bad. I'm just disappointed that it's not anywhere near advertised. I thought I was getting something really special, because I was under the impression that Armytek reflectors are ultra deep compared to other lights, thus having a narrower beam.

emarkd, my Predator doesn't have the rings, but yours does seem better focused than mine by a little bit. Also, my LED is off-centered, and it shows in the corona of these beam-shots. Notice the oblong corona. (The dark rings in the pictures are a camera artifact-- my actual beam has no rings.) Second pic is a lower output mode and shows the hotspot within a hotspot effect. Honestly I see the same thing on the olight and eagletac lights with XPL-HI, so it might be an XPL-HI thing.

oBmRjir.jpg

c0ZRAtN.jpg

I have an Eagletac GX30L2DR that has an XP-L HI and the beam is perfectly centered, no artifacts, no weird halos. I absolutely love my Eagletac, which prompted me to look into XP-Ls in other lights.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Eagletac GX30L2DR that has an XP-L HI and the beam is perfectly centered, no artifacts, no weird halos. I absolutely love my Eagletac, which prompted me to look into XP-Ls in other lights.

I also have other XP-L HI lights - Eagletac DX30LC2, Olight SR52-UT, and a custom triple that I built. My Armytek Predator Pro is the only one of the group with such a bad, ringy beam. Its the Armytek reflector, not the emitter.

led-head

Newly Enlightened
So I've just taken delivery of the Predator and I must say, I'm incredibly disappointed. For a flashlight that has such a rock solid host, the beam is absolutely atrocious. The beam looks like it's from a very cheaply made flashlight. It has all sorts of artifacts and inconsistencies, it's seriously bad. But maybe more or less importantly, it doesn't even come close to the advertised throw. I know this because my GX30L2DR is claimed to throw less but it easily outthrows the Predator by a longshot. The Predator is perhaps better in throw than an SRT7 (although the beam profile is a total fallout of this light), but not by very much. It's so frustrating because the host is very well made. The user interface is very awkward, perhaps the worst UI I've ever encountered. In its totality, the only things this torch really has going for it is it's host. But that's where the fun ends because the rest is a hot mess. Sure enough, I'll be returning this first thing tomorrow. If any prospective buyers out there have any doubts, trust me on this one, save the ~$100 and put it towards something else.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy do these Armytek threads worry me!! I just took delivery of my second ever AT a few days ago (limited Dobermann Pro XP-L HI) and love it! Got my first AT (limited Pred Pro V3 XP-L HI) a couple weeks ago and am beyond impressed by them both. When I read these AT threads I worry that one will burst into flames. When it comes to my LE Pred Pro V3 HI I am very very impressed. Maybe I just got luck of the draw? Both lights showed up in perfect condition and function flawlessly. I power both on 3500mah 10amp Keeppwers. My LE Pred Pro V3 HI has next to zero artifacts. It certainly has a specific corona thick profile which I actually like.

VS an SRT7? Had my SRT7 since they were first released and my copy(I am getting the feeling I got lucky with my copy) of the AT in terms of output, throw etc my copy eats the SRT7. I have been a lurker then member here for awhile now and have never read such all over the map reports than that of AT. It is pretty scary actually. AT threads are a bit on the rarer side here so will add shots when I can. But after reading this (yet another) AT bites thread I am gonna ease off getting one of the older ProV2.5's still around and just use the AT's I have.

Agreed the Pro V3 is rock solid as a host. My copy is flawless. Examined the emitter with magnifying glasses and all. As for coming close to advertised throw I have no idea where AT is getting their CD numbers. I love my expensive new Pro V3 it indeed does the deed of clearly out throwing my TK32 which is saying a lot. Idk to trust the AT site or not. I just feel extremely fortunate to have gotten as good copies of my limited Pros as I have gotten and am gonna stop pushing my luck.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Boy do these Armytek threads worry me!! I just took delivery of my second ever AT a few days ago (limited Dobermann Pro XP-L HI) and love it! Got my first AT (limited Pred Pro V3 XP-L HI) a couple weeks ago and am beyond impressed by them both. When I read these AT threads I worry that one will burst into flames. When it comes to my LE Pred Pro V3 HI I am very very impressed. Maybe I just got luck of the draw? Both lights showed up in perfect condition and function flawlessly. I power both on 3500mah 10amp Keeppwers. My LE Pred Pro V3 HI has next to zero artifacts. It certainly has a specific corona thick profile which I actually like.

VS an SRT7? Had my SRT7 since they were first released and my copy(I am getting the feeling I got lucky with my copy) of the AT in terms of output, throw etc my copy eats the SRT7. I have been a lurker then member here for awhile now and have never read such all over the map reports than that of AT. It is pretty scary actually. AT threads are a bit on the rarer side here so will add shots when I can. But after reading this (yet another) AT bites thread I am gonna ease off getting one of the older ProV2.5's still around and just use the AT's I have.

Agreed the Pro V3 is rock solid as a host. My copy is flawless. Examined the emitter with magnifying glasses and all. As for coming close to advertised throw I have no idea where AT is getting their CD numbers. I love my expensive new Pro V3 it indeed does the deed of clearly out throwing my TK32 which is saying a lot. Idk to trust the AT site or not. I just feel extremely fortunate to have gotten as good copies of my limited Pros as I have gotten and am gonna stop pushing my luck.

I had two. One had a faulty switch from the get go and the other seems to have something wrong with the window as it scratches even if yea look at it. Maybe the coating was accidentally placed on the outside by mistake? Doesn't effect the beam or output so not enough of an issue to return the light. Also I like the tint of the NW. Honestly just have mixed feelings about these so haven't gotten any more however this doesn't mean they're not good.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never meant to say that I felt like the Predator Pro v3 Ltd isn't a good quality light - I certainly feel that it is and I don't worry about it dying or anything. I just feel like it doesn't live up to the promises Armytek made about it, and it certainly doesn't match the factory specs.

As for comparing it to an SRT7, well yeah, that's not even really a fair comparison. They're very different lights. I have an SRT7 and its a great light, but it never claimed to be a 540m thrower. Nitecore claims 308m on the SRT7; I measured 279m on my light. That's a difference of about 9%, something that I'd be very comfortable blaming on manufacturing variances or even my uncalibrated light meter. My Predator Pro HI v3 is 23% below spec! That's a big difference.

Again, I'm not saying its a bad light. I'd probably be pretty content with it if it was sold to me as a 450m thrower, but it wasn't.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually in terms of size and shape the V3 Pro and the SRT7 are very very close despite having very different performance. Inspired me to pull my 7 out and sit it next to my nice new LE Pro and what I believe is still heavily in the 7's favor (and the SRT6) are the outstanding smart ring UI. The Pro's UI is very good but still takes more effort than the NC smart rings. Interesting.

I have ran my 7 as well as my 6 off of 2xRCR123's ever since I read Selfbuilts SRT7 review for maximum output. Its been awhile now since the SRT series came out. Back then these crazy new bright super throwing XP-L HI's I am not sure if they even existed yet.

First thing I do with all my lights before I even turn them on is take them apart, clean contact points and inspect them. The AT's had zero factory smudge on the contact points which is the first time I have seen that on any stock light.

One thing AT needs to do VERY badly is to totally revamp their website. Reading through the AT site is like pulling teeth. One day specs are this then the next they are that. I have been pretty busy lately but did do a quick "park test" at my local large park. It has huge power towers running along the back of it. The towers are 100 yards apart. The AT Pred LE easily passed the 4th tower but could only very lightly be seen at all on the 5th.

Amazingly my new DP LE threw seemingly as far as the Pred it just has a more narrow beam. Still I have only had these two lights literally for days only. I guess time will tell as I love carrying and using them the feel of the anodizing is very very impressive.

Finding out actual tech specs on AT's is seemingly impossible. I believe the AR coating is on both sides of the lens. The AT glare coat is supposed to have a superior hard coat to it from what I have read. Both switches are nice and crisp. I will at least attempt a couple shots tonight indoors as I dont have anywhere outdoors to take 2 tripods, a camera and a bunch of lights and the time to set up and go over shots.

ven

Flashaholic
[QUOTE=CelticCross74;4769833
AT bites thread I am gonna ease off getting one of the older ProV2.5's still around and just use the AT's I have.

I can vouch for the v2.5 pro being an awesome light, i have it in viking flavour though and very impressed with the ano/build and being potted. It stands out to similar lights in its class(single 18650) by a good way in build. Should with luck be able to pick one up for reasonable $'s as i did when v3 came out(yep i am a cheap skate :laughing:) But looks like it was a wise choice in v2.5 with some reports of v3 issues early on(modes etc).

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my two basement (its raining) PP V3 LE shots. For once a couple of my shots came out well. Distance to the freshly painted white cement block wall is just under seven feet.
One
IMG_00611_zpslzc0ri3i.jpg

Two
IMG_00611_zpslzc0ri3i.jpg

battery was a freshly charged Keeppower 3500mah. Will add a couple outdoor shots over the next day or two. So far the light still functions fine.