New project - Small bar light - Choosing LED?

simusid

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to try my first LED project. I'm an EMT and I work the night shift. I always carry at least one tactical flashlight. Usually a small Fenix. That works perfectly fine most of the time whenever I have a hand free to hold the light. There are many times that I'm assisting a Paramedic in a very dark place and I need both hands AND light. The last time this happened I had my Fenix in my mouth while suctioning the patients airway. I don't really want a headlamp.

What I want is something attached to my coat or shirt that can provide scene (not spot) illumination in maybe an 8' or 10' square area of a patient. I want a different form factor than an end fire cylinder. I want a bar that has LED(s) on the long edge. My uniform has epaulets. If the bar had plastic clips on the top I would slide it under the epaulet. With a switch on the top, I can easily turn it on/off and it will illuminate wherever my body is pointing. That is what I am going to try and build. I'd happily buy this but can't find anything like it.

Right now my first question is to try and estimate the illumination I need. I've looked at a number of Cree and Vollong high power LEDs that are 1, 3, and 5 watt devices. I don't want overkill. I definitely do not need to provide room-level lighting. I just need "adequate" lighting in a small-ish area for about 3-5 minutes. Do you think a typical 1 watt device would be sufficient? or should I plan on more? I'd like to avoid a heat sink if I can.

Thanks!

simusid

Newly Enlightened
OK that sounds very good. I'll go with the Vollong VL-H01xWx5 which is rated for 800 mA. I assume you mean to put them in series and run at 400 mA?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
7.5W is way overkill to illuminate part of a person from arm's length. Using modern LEDs, that's the equivalent of a 60W light bulb, with a mirror behind it to make all the light go out the front. It's also way more than you can handle in a small device without serious thought to heatsinking.

My dive light at 10% (meaning 1W) illuminates an area about 1 ft square fairly well, and the optics in it aren't all that efficient. With decent floody optics you'll probably want something more like 1-2W. That will also make thermal management much easier.

Camo5

Newly Enlightened
Get a short roll of neutral white waterproof LED strips ($7 on amazon) and a 3x 18650 pack in series for 12v and a regulator resistor for brightness. A buddy of mine makes these and sticks em on a pieve of pvc for ice fishermen. Or have some sort of boost circuit (he hooks them up to car batteries)

Last edited: