The Candle Stick ***New Pics***

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been playing with my lathe again and this is the latest thing that I came up with.

I called it "The Cande Stick" because, well, that's what it looks like. The head is the same McLux PR head that I trimmed down some time ago. I was running it on an E2e body with a Pila, but this was a bit too long for comfort. I then started carrying it on an E1e body, but I was flying through 123's. The head has a BadBoy700 in it and the batts just couldn't keep up. I decided to come up with something that would accomodate a Pila 150S. I decided to abandon a switch in favor of a simple twist on/off. I also wanted something that was a little classy.

Well, here it is:

f9e02ea2.jpg

f9e02e9d.jpg

f9e02e9c.jpg

f9e02e9a.jpg

The little brass knob on the back is a twistie switch. It isn't as long as a tailcap switch and adds a little aesthetic touch to the light. It is threaded 5/16X24tpi so there's some meat there and it's pretty rigid with the o-ring riding in the chamfer in the tail of the light.

Just for a size comparison, on the left is an L4 body with a Trim McLux PR, on the right is a KL4 on E1e and in the center is the Candle Stick.

All it really needs is a pocket clip or something. Anyone have any ideas?
f9e02e96.jpg

Here's the edit. I did another light. Again I used a McLux PR head and backed it up with a BadBoy700. This time I put a TWOK in it and used a Kroll switch. I'm gonna have to explore switch options.

Just for comparison

f9d89539.jpg

f9d89537.jpg

And a TWOK vs. Q3J beam shot. It's against a white wall at about 30 feet.

f9d89536.jpg

Can you tell which is which? I still really like the Q3J's. I wish I could get my hands on more.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Candle Stick

hell
that is a NICE work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

very creative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I'm not sure about this, but the first thing I thought of was a lanyard attached to the brass twistie. How about a McLux pocket clip? There are also pocket clips for knives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hoghead,

A lanyard attaced to the twistie is what I was considering. It's pretty sturdy and tightened all the way down, there's still room for something. This would also allow the light to be stood on end for a candle mode.

Thanks.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop, I really like that. One of those would be great for a flahslight around fine furniture with that brass look to it.

StevieRay

Enlightened

Reminds me more of a Pepper Grinder than a candlestick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened

that is very nice man the more and more i see people making nice stuff the more i want a lathe and i want to be able to do stuff like you guys do.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

BLU3,

Go ahead and get one. I've found other uses for mine as well. Like making custom bicycle parts for my son's bike. It's been a blast and it's theraputic.

I'd only suggest that you get the Homier 7X12 model. I have the Harbor Freight 7X10 model and find to it be really cramped at times. I say get the Homier, rather than the MicroMark, only because getting the lathe is half of it. I've also found good tooling and a quick change tool post a must.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop>you have the only single 150s light that I know of...
I have one loose 150s so I do not have it on my site. These always sell in pairs. I have more coming in but this is still the odd battery so I will always have one left over. In celebration of the first single 150s light that I know of, I would be happy to donate it to you and write it off as a promo to the IRS for the cost of priority mail shipping. $3.85
This deal is only to Chop if he chooses to accept it.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif JSB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

JonSidneyB,

I really appreciate the offer and I think I'll take you up on it. I'm PMing you regarding the details.

BTW, I've been concentrating on the 150S batt. I'm also currently working on a head that will accomodate a body with a bit of a bigger diameter. Are you able to get the 150A's? I've all but given up on the singe 123 lights. They aren't very economical in a really bright light.

I've found the Pila 150S platform to be a great compromise between size and horsepower.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will be getting both 150a 168a soon.

PM me the address you want it sent to. No hurry on the shipping cost.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

JSB,

If you're gonna start stocking the A's, I'm gonna have to get rolling on a light that will accomodate them AND still be small. With that extra capacity, I'm thinking Direct Drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hey Tony,

My, my. You certainly are becoming quite the Lathe Meister, eh? Congrats!

BTW, DD'ing off an "A" version of the Pila is the ONLY way to go (ask me why)!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop, hey now. How 'bout we install a Milky Candle circuit into the tail end of that bad boy, so you could use it as a cool flashlight AND rest it upright (like in your photos) to operate as a Milky Candle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

We've just gotta do it, dude! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

We've just gotta!

PM me if interested. This could be one kick@ss light!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop -

Great looking work. I especially like the continuance of design theme from McLux PR to Trim McLux PR to Candle Stick.

I wish I could remember why Charlie likes 150A DD.

Jeff