Can the Arc4 be lockedout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the Arc4 can be locked out. The button lock feature is the second one in the options menu. Once engaged, you must triple click the tail button to override the feature; pressing the tail button with the button lock feature engaged will result in the light flashing twice and then turning off. Keep in mind that triple clicking the tail button to override the button lock will not turn the light on.

There is one thing I don't know however. Once the tail button is triple clicked to override the button lock, will the button lock still be engaged the next time the light is turned off, or do you have to reset it every time? Any Arc4 owner know the answer?

cynix

Newly Enlightened
relocking every time is a bit too much trouble. i think i'll just use semi-tactical mode instead. (when i receive my light, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

it'd be nice if the software can be updated to automatically relock, some time in the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
georget98 said:
Short answer, you have to relock it every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this as a huge down side I can't EDC this light which is what the ARC claim to fame is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif $180 humm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Don't be so mad. Instead, just rally for the optional guard tailcap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif A physical lockout is better than a software lockout anyway.

I'm currently carrying my Arc4+ via Ripoffs Holster, and no accidental activations so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kaseri

Enlightened
Do you have a link to the exact holster that you are using. I have the ARC holster and it doesnt work so well with an ARC4.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Arc4 and pouch on order. What's wrong with the pouch when using it with the Arc4?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a some velcro showing at the bottom of the flap when the pouch is used with the Arc4. That pouch is designed to work with the entire LS line so we added the extra velcro. Mostly a fit and finish detail as the pouch will securely hold the Arc4 on your belt.

Peter

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
I have a Arc4 and pouch on order. What's wrong with the pouch when using it with the Arc4?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with the Arc pouch. I have one as well. I just prefer the RipOffs because:

a) I already wear two other RipOffs for my Surefire G2Z and Motorola V60. I like the metal clip, and uniformity in "look" and "function". Plus, RipOffs are extremely rugged.

b) RipOffs holsters are jet black tactical nylon. Very low key, perfect for my business casual environment. While not flashy, the Arc holster would probably generate more questions from nosy coworkers. I do talk flashlights with a select few coworkers, but generally I try to be "all-business" at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

carmel

Newly Enlightened
I agree with cynix, that using the Arc4 in the semi-tactical mode is a more effective way of locking it out than the lockout mode of the options menu. Since we're double clicking it anyway to move between the principle and secondary settings, why not just double-click it to turn it on in the first place? No way it can be accidentally activited in this mode.

carmel

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I want to know why "nobody"* complains about SureFires not having the guard tailcap, but people refuse to buy an Arc because it lacks one. The old-style SureFire P and Z models didn't have a Lock-Out Tail Cap available, and the G2 still doesn't, but people buy them.

What gives?

* this is the figurative "nobody," not the literal "nobody"-- just wanted to make that clear

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Skyline said:
Sure. It's the RipOffs CO-137. It's a little tight initially, but it's really quite perfect because of this.

http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/CO137/co137.html
http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/ricoflho.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a pouch with my LSH.... can't get the velcro to stay put... I even glued on some extra fuzzy stuff.... still not very good.. it seems the "prickly part" is pushed into a convex shape by the flap and it doesn't grab the "fuzzy part" well unless I bend the top flap back a bit before I stick it down. I still have a "Leash" on it that ties to my belt for security and I'm finding I'm less and less wanting to reach for the ARC unless I really need it because of the "Bend the flap, re-attach the leash" action I have to go through to put it back. I think I'm going to look into the Ripoffs holster myself.

Darell

Flashaholic
Darell to the rescue. WHOOSH!

Guys. Just back off an 1/8 turn on the body and you're locked out. By that I mean unscrew the battery housing from the body just a tad, and there is no more power to the head. There should be no loss of waterproofness, as the O-ring is still buried in the head flange.

Arc is no longer passing the cathode through the threads (yay!) and that means the body must be fully seated in the head for the light to work. Presto - instant lockout just like the SF LOTC.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Cyclops942 said:
I want to know why "nobody"* complains about SureFires not having the guard tailcap, but people refuse to buy an Arc because it lacks one. The old-style SureFire P and Z models didn't have a Lock-Out Tail Cap available, and the G2 still doesn't, but people buy them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm compelled to respond to this. Even the "figurative" nobody is complaining about no switch guard on SF products. Really. And many SF products do have mechanical lock-outs of course. And you just can't compare a $25 G2 to a $180 "ultimate EDC light" like the ARC4, can you?

Plus there is the fact that Peter is famous for listening to his buyers, and acting accordingly. If everybody buys stuff without complaining, how's he gonna know how to make it better next time?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Cyclops942 said:

What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

$30/$60 light versus $180 light??
More importantly, SureFire listened to the people and integrated the LOTC or added it as an option.

Peter on the other hand....
If he hasn't come right out and said it he's come petty close to saying that he builds the flashlights that he wants.
Very admirable but not always popular.

Just my $0.02.

Edit: Darell's too damn quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.