Olight S10R Baton Vs. S10R Baton II As A Cap Light

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a suitable rechargeable 123 LED flashlight to use as a cap light. Right now, I have been considering either the Olight S10R Baton or S10R Baton II. At first glance, I would be inclined to get the newer II model because it is rated at 500 lumens vs 400 lumens of the earlier light. However, I would be inclined to use the light for longer periods of time. It looks like the II version drops to 300 lumens after 4 minutes vs. a steady 400 lumens on the earlier light. The other issue, of course, is run time. Certainly longer run time is also desirable. The work around could be to carry a spare charged battery. Would other RCR123A offer much higher capacity than the 650mAh cell that comes with either the S10R Baton or S10R Baton II?

Typically, I would use this clipped to my baseball cap when out horseback riding or hiking. Would the clip on these lights be strong enough the hold the light on a cap? Are there other lights that I should be considering? I want it to be small, thus the RCR123A choice. I want it to have a clip. And the higher lumen output and longer the run time the better.

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the S10R every night as a cap light for over a year, and it is perfect for that function. I would imagine the II would be as well as long as it has the same UI. The clip orientation and tension is great, maybe a bit too tight for thick billed caps. I have one dedicated cap and just leave the clip on it, and pop off the light for charging.

It surprises me how so many small lights have clips that cannot be "reversed" so they work when clipped on to a cap. I find a cap light more useful than an actual headlamp most of the time. I have modified a Zebralight SC32 with a different clip, and it works too, but the mode memory on the Olight is really nice.

Wet

Newly Enlightened
The clip of S10R indeed is tight. I think S10R also ramps output from 400 lm down (to 60 % I guess which is 240 lm) after 4 minutes and I have noticed it becoming slightly dimmer after a few minutes on high mode while outdoors in the dark.

Runtime on high mode is about 1 hour if you let it ramp down after 4 minutes and don't switch it back to full power by turning the light off and then on again.

Olight S1 would be even smaller and brighter, but will have a different beam pattern (which I like better), slightly shorter runtimes and a shorter battery compartment so the longest protected cells won't fit in.

Last edited: