SureFire Sidekick vs Titan vs Titan Plus PHOTOS Photo Heavy.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures of Sidekick - Titan AAA - Titan Plus
This is to help those choose between the three.
Feel free to post your pictures of any of the three. Also, any pictures of size comparisons are welcome. I may add a short review of each light. Please, no flaming products based on your preferences. Different Strokes for Different Folks! Just the facts are more than welcome!
:thumbsup:

Now with no further delay:
Logo View
57103A80-8026-4AB3-AED1-BD0932C65A78_zpsmjxq7zix.jpg

Side View
58589FD0-2898-40CA-8DED-4FB291D4376F_zpsoae2drge.jpg

Emitter View
1A6D2AB4-DF61-4C86-9C05-ABD7B161B204_zpsyu28hio0.jpg

80D6495D-A90A-4504-A8EB-626E75B1BACF_zpsij0r3yu2.jpg

Nitecore Tube & SunnyNights

32C6347C-69B4-45CA-B43A-2AE8A34262EA_zpsrm8rujf4.jpg

Some like it hot (Sidekick one minute on High)
43A9FFC1-C159-48E0-A01E-C05D9B8BFF5E_zpsuvvz7jq2.jpg

Some like it Hotter (Sidekick on High Five minutes) Getting very warm to the touch!!! About ready to cook some eggs. This is logo side up. It is much warmer than the backside.

70C53D4F-A479-422F-B631-BBB53D1F92CC_zpsgyuxm0n3.jpg

Close up Beam shots on Low for about 25 seconds.
Tube - Sidekick - Titan - Titan Plus
B371F9FB-757D-4C82-921D-490427F4F709_zpskj6zcgw4.jpg

Close up Beam shots on High for about 25 seconds.
Tube - Sidekick - Titan - Titan Plus
BB68C73F-92E3-4E0F-BADE-8DE46512CFB1_zpslem34dha.jpg

Randoms
64AEB868-87C9-46D6-BAF1-B4FD6196C6ED_zpsbvts9iie.jpg

B05E441D-AF89-411C-9C67-5BF7CADB9EA9_zps6yctnoek.jpg

One footnote of interest on the Sidekick: The PWM on Low is very very noticeable through the camera viewer. It looks like a strobe light. None of the other lights have the PWM show like this.

That is all for now. More to come later.

Str8

Last edited:

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I feel like a Sidekick v2 will smooth out these problems and be a great light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interesting thermal pictures ... it looks like the battery is heating up first, not the emitter ???

Is that right :thinking:

warpdrive

Enlightened
thanks, it sure puts things in perspective as I was deciding among the three myself. The Plus is certainly the crown jewel, and the Sidekick is about function over form (sad to hear about the PWM on low) and the Titan is just the basics.

I'll probably cancel my backorder for the Sidekick, and hold off for 2.0

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woods, Yes when I was first using the Sidekick, I thought, I could detect some PWM on low with my bare eyes. I am not that sensitive to PWM. So I knew if I thought I noticed it, it must be bad for those who are sensitive to it. I may try and do a video today and post that. Through the camera, on low, it is kinda shocking. I have never seen a light as bad as this. In fact, it was so bad, I thought the light went into a strobe mode when I was looking through the camera. I turned it on and off several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I guess they were going for a mega runtime on low? Once again, none of the Titans showed it.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woods, Yes when I was first using the Sidekick, I thought, I could detect some PWM on low with my bare eyes. I am not that sensitive to PWM. So I knew if I thought I noticed it, it must be bad for those who are sensitive to it. I may try and do a video today and post that. Through the camera, on low, it is kinda shocking. I have never seen a light as bad as this. In fact, it was so bad, I thought the light went into a strobe mode when I was looking through the camera. I turned it on and off several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I guess they were going for a mega runtime on low? Once again, none of the Titans showed it.

I tried to describe the Sidekick PWM on low in a post on the other thread in somewhat measured terms lest I be accused of SureFire bashing. But as you say, it's awful. :thumbsdow

Does the Sidekick have a cover for the recharging port?

No, and I personally like it that way. The flashing emitter while charging is a showstopper for me though. I'd like to leave the Sidekick plugged in on the nightstand like my phone, charging while I sleep but ready to go if I need it. Or, charge the Sidekick in the car at night on its convenient micro USB connection while I drive. But, the flashing light kills both of those seemingly obvious scenarios for me. :ohgeez:

I feel like a Sidekick v2 will smooth out these problems and be a great light.

Better firmware and a price drop could make this little light a bestseller would be my guess. It really does look like something that should be $19.95 at the supermarket checkout counter in the blister pack.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you are correct about how to describe the PWM. Also your not bashing it. That is why I put in the upper part of thread no bashing and just the facts. The PWM is present and that is just a fact. Like you, I am a huge SF fan. I only include the PWM part so that others whom are sensitive to it or just don't care for it can be aware. Of course if you only run it on high, you won't have a issue. :)
I assume that the average user will likely not notice it. But, I also include it for Surefire to be aware of it so hopefully they can improve upon it. Like you, I think this light has huuuuge potential.
I guess at the end of the day, having a quality, lightweight, rugged keychain light with a little PWM in one mode, is not a deal breaker for me. I really like the light. It's shape makes it super pocket friendly too. SO..for me..it has some huge positives too.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like you, I think this light has huuuuge potential.
I guess at the end of the day, having a quality, lightweight, rugged keychain light with a little PWM in one mode, is not a deal breaker for me. I really like the light. It's shape makes it super pocket friendly too. SO..for me..it has some huge positives too.

Yep, I am always conflicted whenever I am foolish enough to buy an early unit of a new SF light. On one hand, it's great to have a new light to examine, criticize and passionately discuss here on CPF. On the other, I always kick myself for falling for revision 1.0 of any product knowing that improvements will inevitably made to remove the rough edges on the product and user interface. I always swear never again. Until the next new revision 1.0 product comes out and I buy it. :ohgeez:

My name is Vox and I'm a flashaholic... :devil:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent photos and info.
At least 5 of the lights pictured have PWM. There will be a quiz later, here is the answer key:
Pictured Lights with PWM: Tube, Sidekick, SunnyNights, Beta aaa and Maratac aaa.
Extra credit if you spot any others.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures of Sidekick - Titan AAA - Titan Plus
This is to help those choose between the three.
Feel free to post your pictures of any of the three. Also, any pictures of size comparisons are welcome. I may add a short review of each light. Please, no flaming products based on your preferences. Different Strokes for Different Folks! Just the facts are more than welcome!
:thumbsup:

32C6347C-69B4-45CA-B43A-2AE8A34262EA_zpsrm8rujf4.jpg

64AEB868-87C9-46D6-BAF1-B4FD6196C6ED_zpsbvts9iie.jpg

What is the name and brand of the light pictured on the far right of these photographs?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yeah, nice comparison photo with the brass ATL mini. I like the copper one too.

The ATL is a nice size. You can see how much bigger the Surefire is. I think the SF would be a bit too big for me for a keychain.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, nice comparison photo with the brass ATL mini. I like the copper one too.

The ATL is a nice size. You can see how much bigger the Surefire is. I think the SF would be a bit too big for me for a keychain.

Hey mag! It is bigger, however, and a big however, weight wise; that Brass ATL feels like 20 Sidekicks! lol
One thing I thought when I was taking the pics, is I wish SF had a removable magnet. So you could stick the light places. I am temped to try and crack mine open and see what is inside and if I can add a thing Neo mag.

Edit: For those who don't know, the Sunny has a great magnet that allows you to stick it to metal surfaces. I like this feature bunches.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Many thanks for the write-up and pics! :twothumbs I've been wondering how the Sidekick compared to the Titan in size, and now I know.