Dodge Sprinter

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen these around here in NJ. They are quite European looking. Most of the ones I've seen are contractors who don't cart around ladders and commercial vehicles of other types.

Try a look on Edmunds.com. There's several different flavors, as well as a cargo type and one with windows and seats.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i can tell you one thing about it....

....it's uglee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A highly interesting vehicle.

It is one of the few vehicles sold in the U.S. that uses the highly efficient Mercedes "Common Rail" injection system for its diesel engine. FedEx uses them for delivery and there are van conversion companies that are setting them up for Class B style motorhomes and campers.

Sprinter conversion to StarRunner by Sportsmobile Texas

It is rated at 22 mpg and they cite one owner who also pulls a 3,000 pound utility trailer while getting 20 mpg.

I saw one post were a guy uses a Sprinter to haul cargo. He got 22 mpg hauling 4500 pounds of cargo through the mountains of Pennsylvania.

And...of course, being a diesel, it can use American grown and produced biodiesel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW...I calculated recently that even though I have to blend my biodiesel with regular diesel fuel in the winter to keep the fuel flowing, I've still cut my annual consumption of petroleum by 75%...along with the production of CO2 (by 75%).

avusblue

Enlightened
Car and Driver did a recent road test that was both humorous and informative.

As a longtime minivan owner and fan, I think the Sprinter looks great. However, I think it's probably too expensive and too "oddball" to be really successful in the marketplace. Also, I think they need to have sliding doors on both sides of the vehicle if they really want to compete with mainstream vans.

Just my $.02,

Cheers,

Dave

avusblue

Enlightened
I noticed driving by a few weeks ago, they do have some cargo versions in stock on the lot at the Burnsville Dodge dealer -- hopefully you can find one closer, but if not, that's an option.

Dave

Brock

Flashaholic
They aren't really new. Well they are in the US, but they supposedly have been used for years in the UK.

If you get one I will have to drive over and take a look. I also am looking for more room but still want some sort of economy.

I have read the sprinter is quite a rough ride and has a lot of road noise since it is meant more as a delivery vehicle, it can haul a LOT of weight. It was either UPS or Fed-Ex that started using them in mass.

JSamilo

Newly Enlightened
I have never heard of them under the Dodge name before, but theyve been around the US for a few years as Freightliner Sprinter vans; I assume theyre the same thing, since FL and Dodge are "corporate cousins."

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, it's a modern 3/400 series Merc van (Also called the Sprinter) with a different front bumper and radiator grill.

Looks identical anyway!

If it is, good solid van, noisy however it is. And keep an eye on the paintwork, some of the ones I've seen here have started to rust a little quicker than I might expect.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Damn things are fairly quick! A Fedex driver blew by me away from a light! And a common rail turbo diesel! C&D got 30 mpg on their test, and I know those guys don't soft pedal ANYTHING!