dodge WILL release the challenger

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
ddakrt - my post might have been confusing - I was talking about two separate things. The Mazdaspeed 6, which has a small I4 and blows away any normally aspirated V6 with significantly larger displacement, and a V6 engine using similar technology (not on the market yet) which blows away any normally aspirated V8 with ~50% larger displacement.

People drove the V6 head to head with vehicles with Hemi's and other big V8's and preferred the V6 hands down - what I mean by "closed hood" is that people had no idea what was underneath.

As far as area under the curve, the V6 curve was above the hemi curve the entire way.

Who has this technology on the road? Mazda, Audi, Vw today, Mercedes, BMW, GM next year, and everyone else soon after. Not rocket science, just taking what's been done with Diesels and applying it to Gasoline engines.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/03/bmw_unveils_new.html

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
ddakrt said:
Icebreak, was that sarcasm? What was wrong with the turbine car? The new Challenger will be on the LY platform, which has nothing in common with the old Challenger/Cudas.
Total sarcasm. That was advanced technology even by today's standards. I would enjoy seeing or hearing or driving one of those. It took some real design creativity to make the back of it look like the tail section of a jet airplane. Andy Granatelli was blowing away the Indy field in '67 but blew a bearing. Then turbines were outlawed for the race.

I would be greatly surprised if this new Challenger didn't have some highly advanced technology incorporated into it.

Ain't that orange Cuda a Beaut? Mopar rocks.

Last edited:

ddakrt

Newly Enlightened
Arghh, I typed up a reply then Explorer froze...

twentysixtwo said:
The numbers I listed are for the 2.3L I4. If you scale up to a 3.5L displacement and assume the same power per CI, then you get 417 Hp.
twentysixtwo said:

I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't really work like that. Once you change the dimention and weights of some components, they will not work the same way anymore. For example you cannot expect the crank to spin as fast or easily with a bigger/heavier piston. It will take more force to move more rotational mass, it's a diminishing return thing. It's not like you can say engine x is making 100hp/L at size A, we can achieve the same 100hp/L at size B.

There are also various mid size NA V6 that makes as much as (and much more) power than the MS6's I4.

The V6 you talked about sounds impressive, but I'm having a hard time believeing any 3.xL V6 will "blow away" the NA 6.1L Hemi with ~460hp and torque (about twice the size you mentioned). Unless it's either:

A) A very exotic engine that belongs in a very high priced sports car, or

B) A custom engine that doesn't have to go through the typical strict manufacturer's duribility testing.

twentysixtwo said:
People drove the V6 head to head with vehicles with Hemi's and other big V8's and preferred the V6 hands down - what I mean by "closed hood" is that people had no idea what was underneath.

As I mentioned above, power isn't the only thing that affect's a vehicle's performance, the weight plays an equally big role. The power to weight ratio is what really matters at the end, a Lotus Elise has a small relatively low power engine, but it's fairly fast because of how little weight it has to move around.

This car you talked about with the V6 could weight in at 1500 with a 200hp V6, that would be enough to have it perform like a rocket. A sports bike is the same idea, they don't make huge power, but they're super fast because how little they weight.

The link you provided with the BiTurbo 6 that BMW will put into their 3 Series coupe, I don't see how it even "blow away" the regular pedestrain 5.7L Hemi, this 6 makes 306hp and 400Nm of torque (about 295lb/ft) where as the 5.7 makes 340hp and 390lb/ft, I cannot see how it would have more area under the power curves over the 5.7L V8. It is an impressive engine though, no doubt about that.

The article also mention that it uses 2 small turbos for lag free response, like I mentioned in my post above, small turbos reduces lag, but are usually very close to their max efficiency range so I'm guess it would be fairly hard to make much more power out of it unless you go with bigger turbos, but then you'll have to deal with lag again.

Last edited:

ddakrt

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak said:
Total sarcasm. That was advanced technology even by today's standards. I would enjoy seeing or hearing or driving one of those. It took some real design creativity to make the back of it look like the tail section of a jet airplane. Andy Granatelli was blowing away the Indy field in '67 but blew a bearing. Then turbines were outlawed for the race.

I would be greatly surprised if this new Challenger didn't have some highly advanced technology incorporated into it.

Ain't that orange Cuda a Beaut? Mopar rocks.

Gotcha :)

Not only is that orange 'Cuda a beaut, it's also worth a freaking lot. A 1970 Hemi'Cuda convertable is worth well into the millions now... Pretty crazy.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking 100K or so. 1 million is wack for a car that cost what...maybe 4 grand back in the day.

I looked around and saw some pretty good looking orange 1970 Challenger 426 Hemies. I think I like the purple ones better.

Off topic. Sometimes this board hoses IE when using the quote function. Someone told me to switch to FireFox. I did and that and the frozen browser problem doesn't occur using FireFox.

Last edited:

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a Canyonero

I will try to find one in shelbyville - no sales tax to out of state buyer's - ha ha

todays turbo's and superchargers are kool but in the 60's 70's - a company called Turbonique made some very kool
rocket engine powered micro turbo superchargers.

Turbonique also made a 1000 hp rocket engine/turbine powered drag axel - adds 1000 hp to your vw bug - pinto or camaro

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2006/04/the_real_acme.html

ddakrt

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak said:
I was thinking 100K or so. 1 million is wack for a car that cost what...maybe 4 grand back in the day.

I looked around and saw some pretty good looking orange 1970 Challenger 426 Hemies. I think I like the purple ones better.

Off topic. Sometimes this board hoses IE when using the quote function. Someone told me to switch to FireFox. I did and that and the frozen browser problem doesn't occur using FireFox.

There was only 9 or 12 Hemi'Cuda verts ever made, that's why a real one is worth so much money. That said, a HemiCuda coupe can easily be worth 200k or more as well.
The purple was Called Plum Crazy, they're bringing it back and will be the next or next 2 special colour for the Charger Daytona :D It's an awesome colour.

I found out why Explorer freezes, if you qoute without the original poster's name it throws the forum off, if you quote using the name it works fine.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i watched a movie where a dodge designer was interviewed, and he stated it would be based on the lancer platform.

-david

ddakrt

Newly Enlightened
A DCX designer publicly go on a video to discuss future plans? That hardly ever happens...

Either way, like I said in post 38, the JS platform is all very confusing as nobody really have said specifically what it's based on. The next gen Galant is/was supposed to be a stretch version of the next gen Lancer platform, which is the current Caliber/Compass/Patroit platform.

People should also need to understand the word "platform".
http://www.allpar.com/ed/platforms.html

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
he said something like " the 2008 avenger will be coming out.... and is based on the lancer platform"

it probably wasnt a designer though.... what car does it look more like?

-David

Last edited: