What a traffic nightmare this will be!!!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
1699151392291.png

They're shutting down the Las Vegas Strip for a F1 Race!!!

I just got home from Vegas last night and observed the frantic work (grandstands, street mods, etc.) going on.

Will be awesome to see if you can afford a ticket and the sky-high hotel costs, but the rerouted traffic will be horrendous - especially for locals.

Last edited:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Always thought it foolish doing the Long Beach GP. And utter lunacy, the Monaco GP. Given the narrow "track" and the interruption of a city's flow.

But, hey, even race drivers gotta eat. Plopping a GP on city streets people are familiar with is a neat trick, helping folks to understand just how bloody good and quick those drivers are.

Once watched a morning of offshore racing boats (the high-powered "cigarette" boats) ... but the darned things were so far away it was tough to "get" how hard the racing was. In a city with various spots for watching the passing racers, lots of people will appreciate what's going on.

I've watched a variety of races at the Laguna Seca Raceway (in Monterey, Calif.). It's fairly easy to head over the hill to watch racers come down the Corkscrew turn, then back over the hill to watch about half the rest of the course. Good vantage points. Lots of races at other tracks are tough to see much of, where you're stuck in the stands and only get to see the portion of the race route that passes the stands.

I'm okay with city races, to a point. They do jam-up the town for a couple of days. Same with parades. And marathon runs. And ...

EDIT: clarity, spelling.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet there are a few Vegas cops with a history of high speed pursuits on that route that would be interested in racing in it. ;)

Now, how many criminals are going to be video recording the race and taking notes on how to drive that route, to make better their high speed getaway from the Vegas cops in the future? Probably none...but ya never know!

I hope they put this race out on the interwebz, should be fun to watch if they do it right. Drone footage will be a must. In car cams a must. Yeah, this should be fun.

Now, my question is, how do you qualify to be a racer in it? I'm sure this would be many a leadfoot's dream race. Of course you would have to have the appropriate car, crew, tires and sponsors...that will cull the herd a bit.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Being a big motorsports fan, I'm surprised there's still F1

Some of the higher revving V8 motors do sound incredible, thinking late 80s' early 90s'

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've watched a variety of races at the Laguna Seca Raceway (in Monterey, Calif.). It's fairly easy to head over the hill to watch racers come down the Corkscrew turn, then back over the hill to watch about half the rest of the course. Good vantage points. Lots of races are tough to see much off. Most races, you're stuck in the stands and only get to see the portion of the race route that pass the stands.
I've been to Laguna Seca Raceway too, beautiful track.

But in Vegas they're blocking every single vantage point (I watched them putting up race art over all the public area hotel windows) and only grandstand or hotel rooms will have any views. They're even covering swimming pools with wood sheets to erect grandstand seating!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like I once had a poster of a Formula 1 car when I was very young. All I can remember is it had "elf" on the front of the car. That mean anything to you race fans? This would have been back in the 1970's, before the film Elf.

I've been to Laguna Seca Raceway too, beautiful track.

But in Vegas they're blocking every single vantage point (I watched them putting up race art over all the public area hotel windows) and only grandstand or hotel rooms will have any views. They're even covering swimming pools with wood sheets to erect grandstand seating!
What happens in Vegas must be paid for in Vegas, or you don't get to see it.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like I once had a poster of a Formula 1 car when I was very young. All I can remember is it had "elf" on the front of the car. That mean anything to you race fans? This would have been back in the 1970's, before the film Elf.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guaranteed some Big Wig Whale racing fanatic worth several millions upon millions of dollars had everything to do with that. The Strip is Vegas' Life Blood. Just a handful of miles outside the Strip, you'll encounter people living in crippling poverty, with the local P.D. doing their best to move people along, and make sure tourists don't see Reality. Glitz & Glamour doesn't get temporarily shutdown without the right people being generously compensated for that.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
Elf was a French oil company that sponsored Team Tyrrell for Formula 1 racing. Jackie Stewart was the number 1 driver for Tyrrell and won 3 driver's championships over 9 seasons. Terrific time as a race fan. Then it was driving talent for the most part that won. Today it's all who can spend the most money to build the best car. Not much fun to watch as there is very little "racing" during the race.

I might have had that same poster on my walls (how silly of me - other guys had Farah Fawcett on their walls...).

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been an F1 fan for a long time. When I saw there were now 5 North American races this season, my wife and I started looking for tickets. Every race we checked the decent seats started at about $1200 for the 3 day weekend. On a whim, I said " we might as well go to Spa(Belgian Grand Prix)". She went online and found tickets at $400 each for comparable seats. A little math later, and we decided to go for it.
Six of us went to Belgium this spring; my family and my eldest daughter's. We extended it a bit and it was one of the most fun vacations any of us has had, and for just a bit more than what Vegas or Miami would have been.
Any racing fan should try to get to an F1 race at some point, just a total blast.

And yes, Vegas traffic will be a cluster.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
F1 was always the elite of the elite, so popularity amongst the Yanks has never been as solid as some forms of American sports. Some drivers come along and grab the hearts of the American audience like Jackie Stwart, Michael Shumacher or Ayrton Senna.... for a while then names like Gerstappen dominate and the popularity fades away again. But my goodness those cars are fast.

Recently F1 seems to think they need to compete with NASCAR for ratings. Or at least the racing press portrays it that way, and then the press shouts out each week "NASCAR had more tv viewers". Meanwhile NASCAR can't seem to get out of it's own way with rule changes galore, cookie cutter tracks and cars, little bitty drivers wearing 5 gallon trucker baseball caps over their tiny little ears and just plain old dull races anymore. Ironically this year tried an F1 trick, setting up a track in the streets of Chicago. The race was won by an F1 driver. 😱

Indy racing was popular in the US for a long time until the car owners owned the sanctioning body and, guess whose cars won the title each year? Tony George started a series called the IRL that eventually saved Indy racing from itself when the two merged. Lots of crossovers like AJ Foyt, some Andretti's, one of which Mario won in NASCAR, Indy and F1. AJ Foyt was so awesome that the 21 car was driven at the Daytona 500 a couple of times by AJ instead of one of the best drivers of the day David Pearson who to this day is second in wins to Richard Petty.

And yesterday Penske racing added another trophy to the championship display. NASCAR. That guy has had cars race F1, Indy, Can Am and NASCAR. He was the last American who host a team in F1 way back in the 1970's. His car never won at F1 though. Mark Donahue ran 3rd for the highest finish in Penske's F1 car.

I read somewhere qualifying for the Vegas race starts at midnight and the race starts at 10pm.