Convoy S Series info needed (S2 S2+ S3)

xappys

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I have several questions regarding Convoy S Series xm-l2 nanjg 105c 3amp build:

1. Is there a significant difference in beam between S2 and S2+ because of S2's deeper reflector?

2. S2 has smaller pill but it also has some small fins. S2+ has bigger pill. Does it make S2+ better for heatsink because of longer pill thread contact with body? (I would also consider adding random little chunks of aluminium to pill, if it would make any difference at all)

3. S2, S2+ has brass pill and newer S3 has integrated aluminium shelf. Is a difference in heatsinking big and does it make harder to build light with integrated pill?

4.S2 is 8.78 dollars on fasttech, S2+ is 12.12 and S3 11,43. Which is best value considering these 3 questions above?

5. Maybe someone had tested, how long best option out of these (or my hand) could survive until running too hot at 3 amps (let's say 18 degree celsius, medium wind)?

Thank you for your time :)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never done any exhaustive testing and I've never even owned an S3, but I do have some experience with these lights:

1. Yes there's a difference, but I'm not sure I'd call it "significant". The S2+ is a bit more floody.

2. The S2+ is generally considered a better design for heat management, about as good as it gets in small lights. I'm not sure about adding chunks of aluminum but people regularly add solid spacers to the S2+ for building big triple-emitter setups. The finished light engine assembly looks like this:

G3mNsiW.jpg

3. Like I said I've never had an S3, but yes it generally makes it harder to build when its a shelf instead of a pill. These lights are small and working down in the cavity can be tricky when there's little clearance. Its much easier to assemble the whole light engine on the bench and then screw it in. However, the thermal conductivity of a shelf is superior to a pill. Metal-to-metal contact will always introduce some resistance and insulation.

4. I have no idea which is the better value. I like S2+'s so I buy S2+'s.

5. No idea on this, but the triple light engine in the photograph above pulls 6-7 amps in that light. Yes it gets really hot, quickly, but it sure is fun. Maybe someone can come along and help you with something more relevant to your request.

Bonus parting shot of that triple all installed and working:
5kfND8y.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I can answer #5 for you. I built an S2+ 18350 with Direct Drive for the High setting. With an XM-L2 it runs for about 10 mins on high. Yes, it gets hot for the first 5 mins. But as the battery voltage drops so does the output and heat. Possibly too hot to hold for a bit, but gripping the light further back down the body saves you dropping it. Haven't had any heat associated problems yet, and I assume your driver won't be DD anyway.
I hope this helps, at least for one of your questions.
P

ven

Flashaholic
Just to add, buy from the source if possible to avoid any fake versions. Simon on aliexpress is the one, looks like a factory relocation right now bit date shows 27th, should be done!

ven

Flashaholic
Having been gifted a couple of triples, they are an awesome little power house. Still if you stick a programmable driver in there you can always run a 30% output as an example for longer duration's which can still equate to 700 OTF lumens........Having various mode groups to choose is very flexible!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, buy from the source if possible to avoid any fake versions. Simon on aliexpress is the one, looks like a factory relocation right now bit date shows 27th, should be done!

Seconding this. Simon's Aliexpress store is here and he's super easy to work with. The only other place I buy Convoy lights from is MtnElectronics.

Unfortunately, however, he's not done with his relocation. Apparently he's run into some wiring issues with the new building and is having to make some repairs before he can resume business. His website may not be updated yet but he now estimates re-opening on the 15th. He's worth waiting for in most cases, but I'd order from MtnElectronics if he's got what you want..