Anodizing chipped at threads

Rhinny2012

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Nitecore MH20 and noticed that the black anodizing is chipped at the end of the threads. Actually, a more accurate description would be at the end of the battery tube since it's not technically on the thread. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just poor workmanship? The light works perfect, so I'm hesitant to send it back for a replacement if this is just cosmetic, which cannot be seen anyway. I tried to include a picture, but I guess I do not have enough posts because it will not let me.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I file down/sand the part you are talking about, on some lights, to give it a better contact path. So, I wouldn't worry.

Rhinny2012

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I don't care about the looks because it's covered by the tail cap. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem for creating a contact.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is actually pretty common for the cheapo Chinese lights to have issues due to ano on the threads or contact areas. I am not saying yours is a cheap light. Just giving you a additional example.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is actually pretty common for the cheapo Chinese lights to have issues due to ano on the threads or contact areas. I am not saying yours is a cheap light. Just giving you a additional example.

Yep, unfortunately a lot of these Chinese companies like to exaggerate their specs, especially when it comes to anodizing. Most are not Type III(like they claim) and are Type II anodizing at best. Real Type III(there are different sub grades but, lets keep it simple) is like what is found on Surefire, Elzetta, Zebralight, exc. and is much more durable.

I wouldnt worry about the chipping OPer. It is just cosmetic.