Wolf Eyes 6PX and general questions

Halex

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to flashlights, but I have a Wolf Eyes that I bought in late 2006 or early 2007 that I can't seem to find very much information about so I figured I'd ask here. I looked through the different forums and I assume this is the best place to ask...

So, it's a Wolf Eyes, 6PX according to the box, Explorer according to the print on the actual flashlight. It has a 6V xenon bulb 26.5 mm diameter (with no larger "outer" spring) and runs on two cr123a. Non removable tail cap with a click switch ("half press" to shine until release, click for constant on).

I can find only one WE 6V xenon bulb online, which is 100 lumens so I assume that's the one. On wolfeyes.dk it states it lasts for an hour.

WE have a 285 lumens LED module with four modes, but I found it a bit expensive since I'm exploring this interest and would rather purchase something cheap at first and move on to more expensive quality parts if/when I decide this is for me. So I purchased this online: https://m.fasttech.com/p/1053100

But then I stumbled upon a post where someone said WE usually don't take "standard" P60/D26 modules. Am I "stuck" with WE modules only, or is there another generic (or at least cheaper) alternative out there? Is there a way to make them fit anyway?

I think I've managed to understand the importance of not using a larger 3.7V or two smaller 3.4(?)V for the 6V bulb, but I'm scratching my head when it comes to effect. Example: a 100 lumens 3.7-6V LED drop-in, will it give 100 lumens both with a 3.7V battery and two 3V batteries? If so, is the difference how long it lasts before it's time to change the batteries?

Regarding the batteries, I've seen everything from 800 to 4000 mAh, is this something that one has to be careful with when it comes to flashlights, or is like with computers, battery packs etc where the mAh is simply how long the battery lasts for? If it's the latter, which capacity batteries are used when stating "this module lasts for x minutes"? For instance, will I be able to use the flashlight for five times as long using two 4000 mAh batteries than if I'd use two 800 mAh batteries (assuming the error rates, real effect etc is linear)?

Im sure these questions are about as basic as they come, but unless I ask I won't learn :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good questions. Welcome to CPF.

The experts will chime in soon.
I could attempt to answer your questions, but believe others here would do it better.

But I will say this, in it's day it was a pretty good flashlight.

Last edited:

Halex

Newly Enlightened
Good questions. Welcome to CPF.

The experts will chime in soon.
I could attempt to answer your questions, but believe others here would do it better.

But I will say this, in it's day it was a pretty good flashlight.
Thank you!

I was under the impression that the "flashlight world" was more standardised than it seems to be... I guess I should have done more research before hitting that "buy" button ;)

Do you happen to know a good place to source clips that would fit?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
From what I gather you can do a wee bit of dremel work to get the bulb you cited to fit.

Solarforce has a pretty good clip that goes between the tail cap and body.

^^ used on a 1 cell light

Google solarforce pocket clip

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I had an old wolf eyes "sniper". It had the red LEDs on the tail cap and a xenon bulb. As I recall wolf eyes were fairly picky about what products they used, but they were by no means proprietary. I still have some of their p60 modules and they look pretty much like the one in your picture. Maybe even made by the same company in China. One thing I do remember is you had to remove that outer spring on the module.

So my advice is to remove the outer spring and try it. It is just a snug friction fit, so it is easy to remove.

As for batteries, they had p60 modules that worked with 3.6 and some that worked with 6.0 volts. So just use the appropriate battery, or batteries for what you have.

Halex

Newly Enlightened
From what I gather you can do a wee bit of dremel work to get the bulb you cited to fit.

Solarforce has a pretty good clip that goes between the tail cap and body.

^^ used on a 1 cell light

Google solarforce pocket clip
Thank you, you gave me a bit of hope regarding the drop-in :) I just have to pace myself, I have a tendency to purchase things too quickly, then ending up with a bunch of things that don't actually fit, or a bunch of expensive things I don't need because a cheaper part was wrong.

The pocket clip looks great, but the tail cap is not removable, so I will look for snap on clips. Thanks again!

I had an old wolf eyes "sniper". It had the red LEDs on the tail cap and a xenon bulb. As I recall wolf eyes were fairly picky about what products they used, but they were by no means proprietary. I still have some of their p60 modules and they look pretty much like the one in your picture. Maybe even made by the same company in China. One thing I do remember is you had to remove that outer spring on the module.

So my advice is to remove the outer spring and try it. It is just a snug friction fit, so it is easy to remove.

As for batteries, they had p60 modules that worked with 3.6 and some that worked with 6.0 volts. So just use the appropriate battery, or batteries for what you have.
I managed to find a reference to the Wolf Eyes having an inner ring holding the glass in place being the reason for regular P60 modules not fitting. If that's the case, then it's really a non-issue in the end since I can file down the drop in and/or the locking ring.

A propos batteries it's hard not to get weary after reading all the stories of what can go wrong with (R)CR123A and how important it is to not push them too far. I've read several times that they shouldn't be used below 50 % of their capacity - but how can one tell when that is?