LED specs confusion - 220lm vs 250lm

kissing

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I am very new to the world of LED flashlights.
I wanted a new LED upgrade for my old 3C Maglite.

However, I have run into some confusion with the different specs available, specifically between these two:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321997312170
Cree "Ultimate" LED 250lm
3 Watt
1-4.5 Volts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222020107929
Cree "Premium" LED 220lm
3 Watt
3.2-9 Volts

I have opted to buy from this seller, because I live in Australia and he actually lives locally and I can easily visit and buy from him (rather than waiting weeks for an overseas product).

I had assumed that the 250lm "Ultimate" is the superior product and wanted to buy it for my 3C Maglite.
However, the seller talked me out of it, saying that the 220lm one would work better in a 3C as the 250lm one would be "too much" for the 3C and drain the batteries quicker.

He then used some electronics technical mumbo-jumbo to persuade me that I'm better off with the 220lm version.

So I left the store with the 220lm version. I am somewhat happy with it, but when I read the numbers... they simply don't add up.
The 250lm one seems to have a lower input voltage requirement at 1-4.5 Volts, as opposed to the 3.2-9 Volts of the 220lm one.
I'm no electrician, but I thought Volts was a measure of how hard the batteries need to work to produce the light.

If the input Voltage is lower for the 250lm version, doesn't that mean that it requires less for it to run?
I'm beginning to think that the 250lm version is actually uses less battery life than he 220lm, while giving a higher lumen output, making it a completely superior product in brightness AND battery life.

I'm beginning to suspect that he sold me the 220lm version because it is "older" obsolete stock that he needs to get rid of, and even though it was a few dollars cheaper, perhaps he makes a better profit on them??

Or has he been honest in saying that the battery life is longer using the 220lm bulb as opposed to the 250lm bulb?
I have googled the answer for hours with no success. Please shed some light onto this issue for me :)