How are you using your older Surefires?

faucon

Enlightened
I have an original U2 (still a favorite because of the UI and because it can take an 18650), an L4, and an L2. All state of the art years ago, and all still tough and useful. But honestly, they're somewhat superseded by today's much brighter Olights, Fenixes, EagleTacs, and so on. I grab my L4 sometimes for quick illumination, and even travel with my U2 on occasion because I like the ring selector even though I have (and mostly use) much brighter, more modern lights. So I was wondering---have you sold off your old Surefires? If not, how do you use them today?

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
Paperweights? Sad to say, I don't really use my Surefires much. If I worked in a tough environment I probably would, but I use mostly smaller, pocketable lights. They were among the first lights I was introduced to but they get no use these days. I will probably sell some of them.

scout24

Flashaholic
6P's are all Malkoff hosts at this point. G2's are stock P60's, several with McClicky conversions, several without. 9P's are both running P90's with 2x17500's. "12P" (Fivemega 2x18650 body with stock head and tail) is currently hosting an Oveready V5 triple dropin. M6 lives by the front door. Second and third generation Milkified L1's still get occasional edc carry. E2e's are scattered here and there. A couple Crosshairs tucked away. C2's here and there. I know some got left out... :) Get 'em while you can.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I use the A2 and E1B, almost every day ....

I have several A2, mostly upgraded with various mods, and there really is no modern alternative for a regulated combo incandescent / LED.

I also still strongly prefer the discontinued E1B to the current EB1, and have found nothing better to replace it, despite searching fairly thoroughly.

Many E1 / E2 tubes hosting VME / Malkoffs and / or various other e-series (Aleph, etc) parts.

Although too big for EDC, my C2 and C3 hosts are used frequently with Malkoff dropins as my preferred larger utility lights.

A yellow G2 and an L1-RD are used as emergency lights.

Heavily modified M6 used with a variety of bulbs, mostly just to enjoy incandescent lighting :)

On occasion, I also carry a T1A (CR123A) Titan, too.

.... All of the above have since been discontinued, I think :(

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Space filler in my safe for the bulk of mine.

But a couple of G2's n 6P's hang around awaiting their turn to be called into action.
Both G2's are Malkoff'd and one of the 6P's is...the other is staying stock.
Note: All of those in the rotation but my yellow G2 have warm light out the front. Ole yellah got neutralized by a Malkoff NL.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Man I wish more folks had that attitude. Sell them to me. I'm one in a herd of Surefire collectors that are always on the hunt. Just added a 6P classic (circa 1990 production) including box and manual. Guess the original owner upgraded and bought one of the newer 6P originals. Back when Surefire was known as Laser Products they set the stage for all of the now johnny come lately's. Not that I'm saying this in a manner of put down. But you have to admit wouldn't you rather have a 1954 ford t-bird instead of 2005 version?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My C, G, and P incandescent hosts all house a variety of Malkoffs, all with McClickies. Some are weapon mounted, others are in range bags, while others still are in easily accessible storage.

All but one of my 2-cell Es have either VME heads with Malkoffs or MDC heads. This singular E2D LED Defender still gets used regularly.

I still use the LX2 often, though it's not quite what I'd call a classic, though already discontinued.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I wish more folks had that attitude. Sell them to me. I'm one in a herd of Surefire collectors that are always on the hunt. Just added a 6P classic (circa 1990 production) including box and manual. Guess the original owner upgraded and bought one of the newer 6P originals. Back when Surefire was known as Laser Products they set the stage for all of the now johnny come lately's. Not that I'm saying this in a manner of put down. But you have to admit wouldn't you rather have a 1954 ford t-bird instead of 2005 version?

Pretty much so spot on. I shall add:

Why older SFs for me??
Doing different legos.
Unlimited P60 drop in options
Tana, Lumens Factory, Vital, five mega, malkoff, OverReady, and so so many more
Nice platforms for mods. Although not all are easy.
Readily available used parts and pieces
Customer Service
Most hold resale & trade values pretty well
Rare/Unusual gems out there still waiting to be found
Nostalgia & in some cases sentimentality.
I feel they should get SOME credit for their innovation, which help lead to the creation of many modern day lights we love so much. Guess what, all those vintage Surefire lights could probably still be under warranty! Try that 20 years from now with a Nitecore. Don't get me wrong. I love a lot of Nitecore lights. lol

MX421

Enlightened
+1 I've been getting into this Drop-in concept recently and these and Elzettas are the best hosts. Always upgradable. Different strokes i guess.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an original U2 (still a favorite because of the UI and because it can take an 18650), an L4, and an L2. All state of the art years ago, and all still tough and useful. But honestly, they're somewhat superseded by today's much brighter Olights, Fenixes, EagleTacs, and so on. I grab my L4 sometimes for quick illumination, and even travel with my U2 on occasion because I like the ring selector even though I have (and mostly use) much brighter, more modern lights. So I was wondering---have you sold off your old Surefires? If not, how do you use them today?

I have only sold one of my Surefire lights. It was an E1e natural modded with triple XP-G S2. That was back in 2009. After inspiration from Rob Orb who made a triple XP-G R5 with a fancy magnet switch (One of custom). The rest i have kept in either mint or excellent condition.

I still use the U2 and L4 Lumamax, although the lights have been modded with new LED's and drivers to accept Li-ion cells.

I still like all the different options with heads, drop-in modules and triple XP-E2 R3, XP-G S2, XP-G2 S4.

I'm not a fan on the reflectors available for the e1b because they are heavy orange peel and kill throw. I managed to obtain some fern reflectors from Germany that I consider more efficient. Now i enjoy e1b XP-L HI V2 cool white. It runs off a single IMR 16340 cell.

Basically i rotate batches of torches in order still use some of the older Surefires. The only exception are some of the uber rare SF lights; still in original box and unopened. There might be a AA maglite in there instead lol.

I'm glad others are still enjoying their SF lights.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 and a 6P. One is running the CUXP/CUXM dropin from Mountain Electronics with the Nichia 219B emitter, and the other is running a D26 dropin from Lumens Factory with the 90+ CRI emitter. Both are in belt holsters and using 17650 cells (one each). They don't get used much, but when I am leaving the house and the weather doesn't look promising I will grab one to go along with my EA11 EDC and the Tube on my keychain. Never know when the power might go while one is out and about. Stores can turn into very large very dark places very quickly in an Iowa thunderstorm. I may have only been a Cub Scout, but I still like to 'Be Prepared'.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why older SFs for me??
Doing different legos.
Unlimited P60 drop in options
Tana, Lumens Factory, Vital, five mega, malkoff, OverReady, and so so many more
Nice platforms for mods. Although not all are easy.
Readily available used parts and pieces
Customer Service
Most hold resale & trade values pretty well
Rare/Unusual gems out there still waiting to be found
Nostalgia & in some cases sentimentality.

All of this. I'm not really interested in current-generation SFs, due to lack of lego-ing ability (and current costs). I made a point of getting a good sampling of Fivemega's creations. The bulbs available from Lumens Factory up the options even more. I'm not even that interested in the M3, M4, and M6 because of their requirement for special lamp assemblies. I've got a KT1 to stick on something and play with if needed. If I need more throw than my Malkoff M60, I'll reach for my Hound Dog, or a Maglite hotwire mod. The C/P/G/Z series and E-series may be outmoded in terms of light output compared to newer models, but 99.99999999% of the time, what are the chances that one of my legacy designs won't get the job done? 80 honest lumens is still 80 honest lumens. I may get a neutral Wildcat in the future, and there are certain scarce older SF lights I will casually keep my eyes open for, but I really love the older SFs.

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
I carry my E1B nearly every day. And with an F04 diffuser it's useful in nearly any situation.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened

+1

I made one original surefire six last 25 years on the original bulb. I never would've bought another as this one still worked just fine. Then I came here and discovered drop in modules and rechargeable batteries. Now I've ordered a couple more to Lego out. I think the older ones are the perfect platform. Like mag lights, they just work. I just keep them staged around here I might need them. One is a bug out bag, wanted to get home bag, one in each vehicle, with a couple scattered around the house for a power outages. You just never know.

I've got enough to last more than a while now, and two that I'm going to keep new in box in the safe. Still though, if I see a good deal floating around out there on another one, I just might snatch it up. You can get an older one, modify it out, and your total drive out price is still under $100 for a top caliber light. That is really hard to beat.

twin63

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of late to the party. I just bought my first Surefire last fall (a 6P with an FM35 red filter), but in the last couple of weeks have picked up another 6P, a NOS C2, and a nicely broken-in black C2. The C2's and one of the 6P's will get Malkoff drop-ins and pull duty as gear bag lights. The other 6P will remain stock (probably just nostalgic, but it reminds me of the old incans I used to play with at my grandparents house many years ago).

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
C2 with two mode XPL-HI dropin

6P(bored for 18650) with two mode triple Nichia 219 dropin

E1e with Tana 3 mode Nichia 219 dropin, optimized for 1 primary CR123

G2LED KX4HA Black, stock, used as a bedside and utility light

LX2 stock, kept in the BOB, will probably mod with my extra XPG2 leds lying around

G2 two units stock, loaded with primary and will be used as loaners in emergencies

L1 6th Gen modded by me with a 5000K XP-G2, EDC light but lost by a co-worker (!)

I am now waiting for the 300 lumen EB1 to arrive at stores here.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
I ONLY have older Surefires; 6P, C2, Z2, 9P and C3. They all have Malkoff neutral drop ins of various types. They are all black. They ride in cars, my truck, and my boat. They live on the night stand, in my BOBs, in the garage, and the in camping box. It's a great system. The newer lights do not have the same flexibility. I've bought and sold more than a few newer lights, only kept a couple HDS. These older Surefires will be usable long after I'm dust.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still really like the older Surefire lights. They have a certain craftsmanship to them and still represent quality workmanship. Even though they are not as bright as current models they are still reliable lights that have a place in my rotation.
Old 6R's, A2, L4, M3, 7Z, 9Z and 10X are kept for nostalgia and sentimentality.
8nx incan is run on a Streamlight Stinger battery and used around the house.
6p's, 9P's and C2 have Malkoff dropins. One G2 is a stock P60 incan and the other has a Malkoff M60LL. All are used for various EDC as well as in the car. E2's have VME heads and get EDC'ed occasionally.
G3 has a Malkoff M60LL run by 3x123's or 2xAA's. Emergency lighting.
M4 incan with MN60 lamp used outdoors in foggy, smokey or rainy weather. M6 has a MN15 lamp used outdoors in foggy or rainy weather. Also occasionally used for just pure incan pleasure with the higher power lamps.
Milkified early gen L1 and E1b backup still gets used every night around the house.