Who Wants an RC-09?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
It's Time for Another GiveAway
What's better at this time than an
RC-09?

How to "play":
1. Post your DREAM LIGHT. The specs it would have if you could have anything.
2. How would you use it? What environment?

Who knows?? Fenix may produce it.

DRAWING DATE: March 25

Go...

RC09_1__85392.1458225345.1280.1280.png

ven

Flashaholic
Tk61(If already decided a tk62) with xhp35 HI and at least 500kcd, control ring UI with an easy lock out.

Fun exploring and camping uses.............showing off too:)

Poppy

Flashaholic
How about a 16500 zoomie, where the lens and movement is all internal, in other words, the length of the light does not change when zooming. Also the head, body and tail all have the same diameter, and the overall length could still fit in a shirt pocket.
I'd like it with a magnetic control ring UI, and a twisty zoom.

The zoom could be a moderate zoom. Not all the way out to mule, nor all the way in so that one sees the square emitter. But just so that it makes it a more "general purpose" light.

Neutral white tint.

Whatever lens/emitter works best.

I'd use it as a general purpose light, perhaps as an edc. It should have a mode that is low enough that it can comfortably be used to read a menu, or TV guide in a darkened room.

Last edited:

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Mine would be pretty close to the UC30/UC35 in form. Single 18650, single side-switch or dual switches, USB recharging. It would tailstand and have a pocket clip. It would have a basic PC USB interface that would allow me to set my number of modes, change their levels, and toggle mode-memory off and on. Electronic and physical lock-outs. Potted electronics. Thermal management. 1000 floody lumens is plenty - neutral white of course.

I'd use it everywhere, and for everything, and never touch a lightswitch again.

Banfield

Newly Enlightened
I would love a pd35 (or maybe slightly smaller) sized light with a NW emitter, and a dual-path circuit; a forward clicky tailswitch that always came on at high no matter what, and a side switch that completed a second circuit that allowed it to come on at low-medium-high (without having to press the tailswitch). Holding it in a 'tactical' grip (thumb on the tailswitch) you'd have direct, consistent access to a thousand blinding lumens, and holding it in a forward grip (thumb on the side switch), you'd be able to use the intermediate modes, and not have to worry about accidentally having left the light on low. As far as I can tell no one makea this (there is one new light where this UI may become programmable someone in the future, but it's not there yet). I think it would be ideal for a real general purpose 'do-all' light for both tactical and administrative purposes. Even better if it has direct access to a real moonlight mode.

1DaveN

Enlightened
One of my dream lights would be a small 1xAA or 14500. Probably a twisty to minimize the size. Built-in charging, with a conventional micro-USB. Stainless, so I don't have to worry about beating up anodizing with a pocket full of junk or in the glove box. This would be a perfect EDC pocket light with a 14500, or car light with a lithium primary.

A charging stand of some kind would be nice - something that allows you to drop the light in and not have to deal with a cable. But it would have to be able to charge in the car, and with something already carried when travelling. I'd rather give up the stand than have to carry something extra just for the light.

Dutchman

Newly Enlightened
I would like small edc led, 180-200 lumen max, low med high. 1 red led, 100 lumen. Rechargeable usb, rcr123a battery.
usable for animal rescue, astray or wounded cats, dogs and birds. The low and med can be used for examination, high for search. No turbo, so high can stay on, temp regulated.

lytumup

Newly Enlightened
A MC-12R R meaning recharable with a Cree XM-L2 T6 neutral white LED
Powered by one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two CR123A Lithium batteries
Mode's 5,75,150,300,800. no SOS,STROBE,TURBO
Have the body fit into a bracket similar to the set-up of the HL-50
Ability to tail stand and maybe a nice magnet as well.

Use for maintenance, working on boilers,HVAC, etc.

Synergic

Newly Enlightened
1- I would like an 1xD size rechargeable flashlight, that was able to take C and AA batteries as well.
2- I would use it as EDC and emergency flashlight too due to its versatility.

radiopej

Enlightened

A neutral white emitter, putting out up to 1,000 lumens. Moonlight of 0.1 lumens. Low of 10, then 100, 300 and 600 before the 1K max. Running from a single 18650. Smooth reflector - beam profile of TK16 is good. Maybe a smidge more throw. Would consider something like Vinh's neutral PDT dedomed emitters. Some copper in the head for cooling.

2 switches on the tail. One on the back of it for on and off. Starts in whatever mode you last used, but double tap for high. Triple tap for moonlight. The other switch should be on the tailcap but on the side. When off its an instant strobe, but when on its mode control. Tritium on the side switch.

Rechargeable would be cool if you could fit it in without making it too big. The UC35 is just a fraction too big for EDC in pants, but still pretty good.

A double sheathed tail cap that you can slide back and lock to enable tailstanding when you want it, but a protruding button for when you don't.

2 way belt clip.

Total length roughly the size of the PD32 UE or PD35.

Alternatively, something the size of the PD22 with the same features, though max of 500 lumens and running on 16340.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
How about a small pop can style torch? With about 5000 lumens. Similar to Niwalkers, but with the Fenix touch of class..

beaconhilltop

Newly Enlightened
How about a TK75 style body with longer head and deeper SMO reflectors with 7 Cree XHP-70s producing 20,000 OTF lumens and 250,000 kcd. A diverse programmable UI. Now that would be a light I am interested in. Please build it and they will come.

kj2

Flashaholic
That's not easy to choose but am thinking about; TK61 body, 4/5x XHP-70 leds, control ring UI, clicky on the tail, runs on 4x 18650 or optional battery-pack (which needs to be large in mAh, not what we see with the RC40), battery level indicator.
And Amps much be pushed to the next level. Wouldn't be your average light you buy from a manufacturer.
Will be S&R style light, property search, dog walk light in forest area.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
That's not easy to choose but am thinking about; TK61 body, 4/5x XHP-70 leds, control ring UI, clicky on the tail, runs on 4x 18650 or optional battery-pack (which needs to be large in mAh, not what we see with the RC40), battery level indicator.
And Amps much be pushed to the next level. Wouldn't be your average light you buy from a manufacturer.
Will be S&R style light, property search, dog walk light in forest area.

:twothumbs

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Start with a UC35.

Swap the mode switch for a magnetic control ring so that the output is continuously-variable on a visually-linear scale to any level between 0.1lm and 1000lm.

Swap the LED for a 5000K neutral white emitter with the highest CRI you can get whilst still hitting that 1000lm maximum output.

Add dynamic temperature regulation: if the control ring is set to a high output level and the light starts to overheat, the driver will automatically back off to the highest output it can sustain in the current environmental conditions. Of course, if the user reduces the control ring setting to less than that level, the driver will revert to tracking the control ring until the light overheats again.

If you built this, I'd definitely upgrade both of my UC35s.

Bonus points if you make a version that accepts 32650 cells, then include sleeves for 26650 and 18650, along with a 3xAA battery carrier. The 18650 sleeve would double as a 2x18350 / 2x16340 / 2xCR123A sleeve as well. Truly a multifuel light!

Keep it in a tube light format, but take advantage of the extra width to incorporate a bigger reflector with more throw. The user could also add a diffuser or a coloured filter as needed.

I'd definitely buy at least one of these (and probably two) in addition to the UC35 upgrade, so I could carry one 32650 version and one upgraded-UC35 as its backup. The other unit(s) would stay at home as spares against loss or damage.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dream light! It would run on a 16340 or 17500 to keep things nice and compact. UI would be a simple 3 mode with no memory or a variable control ring. Most important part is a thick deep carry pocket clip that can bolt or get sandwiched between the tailcap and body, no more than 1/2" can stick out of my pocket. As for tint and beam, nice large hotspot with smooth transition into spill and ~ 4500-5000k of high CRI lumens.

I would use this light as an EDC, it is small enough to ride everywhere with me.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would probably be a 1 x 18650 light. 1000lm output, 300m throw.
I'd use it as an EDC light and for fun in the park.

Strintguy

Enlightened
1 x 18650, neutral tint, high cri, mix of flood and throw, good runtime on 200-300 lumens, compact, tail stand a must.

Would EDC, and all around, as a bike lite at times, camping

matt4350

Enlightened
1 x 18650 with the option of an extender tube. Thick body (25mm) and a head with with smooth curves, maybe 30mm to keep it fairly slim but very solid. Neutral with a light OP reflector. Both a side switch and tailcap switch for simple on/off in various grips, allowing momentary on. The light should have several modes, which would be chosen by multiple head/tailcap twist, or even via usb (charging port would be outstanding). One mode for high/low (600lm/30lm), another for strobe/low, and another for moonlight/medium (maybe 0.2 and 200). A simple 1/8th turn twist of the head or tail would change between the 2 levels of each mode.

With these features, I would use it at work for searching houses, yards and cars, and it would make a fine light to use with a pistol. Then I would change modes and it would be the perfect light for camping, outdoors, exploring and just around the house. This sort of light would appeal to emergency services, military, campers and anyone who wants a tough house light.

If you build it, I will buy it.....

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the giveaway, Fenix-Store.

Neutral tint and high CRI are my biggest focus these days, especially, the latter.

I would like to see a 1×18650, Nichia 219B triple in a host that is large enough so that the optics are not partially covered by the bezel. I definitely prefer optics over a triple reflector. Something similar in size to an EagleEye X6 host would work. Needless to say, such a flashlight should tail-stand and offer a moonlight mode. 5000K CCT and 90+ CRI (Ra) would be my preference.

I also like the idea of thermal management in a flashlight like this, otherwise, heat can be a problem.

The same flashlight in a 1x26650 host would be just as good.