Pen Lights

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite surprised there is not a large range of Pen Lights available to the hobby market.On a recent period of time as a hospital patient, I noticed all the medical staff carried disposable AAA cell low lumen lights,managed to snag one off a nurse.Quite surprised to see one of the twilight nurses using an AA cell small light.

Question to the members has no one really got a need for such a light ?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Penlights can be very useful. I have a TerraLux Lightstar 80 on my work table so that I can grab it to look for something that falls off of the table or is stored in one of the boxes around my work area. It is a double AAA, and puts out about 100 or so lumens. I also have one of the Budget Light Forum group buy BLF 348s (actually, I have half a dozen, but most of them are going to be gifts so they stay in their boxes) near my computer desk for the same use. I also gave my General Practitioner a Nitecore MT06 when he admitted that he didn't have one of his own, he just used the ones in the exam rooms when needed. I also have a TerraLUX in my car for when I am looking under the seats for something. So yes, penlights are very useful, and many of us have them (at last count there were over 1500 BLF 348s reserved by forum members in that group buy) but don't talk about them much because they are just there. Nothing fancy, just useful.

PS: If any of you are interested, the BLF group buy is now open to the public. The BLF 348 is a custom version of the Gear Best Singfire 348, with an emitter swap to a Nichia 219B. It will take either a single AAA or a single 10440, although it heats up very rapidly when using the 10440. It is available from Gear Best in either a plain or engraved ('Budget Light Forum') version, and alone ($6.99) or in a gift box for an additional dollar, with free shipping. If you are interested, hurry, because there weren't that many extra made, and I don't know if there will be a third group buy organized ever.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
The single mode turned me off of the BLF 348...

But as for pen lights, the Illumn exclusive Preon P2 still holds a special place in my heart. It also uses the Nichia 219B, and has a beautiful beam. I've got two of them, keep one as a backup. Great light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Icon solo is my favorite pen light with it's start on low feature (like 15 lumens) then a high of around 50 when more brightness is needed.

Has a unique style as well, like an expensive ink pen.

Or perhaps the menu reader/genuine light that writes pen light.

Last edited: