Zebralight sc62 /sc62w battery issues

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I have both the sc62 and sc62w and am regretting it. I used orbtronic protected 18650s until realizing that the lights push in the button top because of the tight fit. I'm worried that it could cause issues to the batteries but have never run them on turbo for an extended period of time to find out. So I emailed zebralight and they suggested using the Sanyo unprotected 18650s they sell. So I ordered them and now there is a pretty bad battery rattle. Call me ocd but I absolutely can't stand battery rattle and now I won't use the lights because there will be either rattle or pushed in button tops. I emailed zebralight and no response.

Idk what to do, and this is very depressing since they were my favorite lights. Now I'm out 150.00 and am too broke to buy another light, and I will lose a lot of money if I try to sell them, but I doubt I'll even be able to since they are now becoming obsolete. Any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

hmihaylov

Newly Enlightened
Hi, light rattle is what I had in my SC62 as well, with each unprotected cell I have. I used one additional wrapper for each cell and now the fit is rather tight and there is no rattle. These are cheap, easy to install and sold on eBay. Look for "18650 shrink wrap"

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hi, light rattle is what I had in my SC62 as well, with each unprotected cell I have. I used one additional wrapper for each cell and now the fit is rather tight and there is no rattle. These are cheap, easy to install and sold on eBay. Look for "18650 shrink wrap"

I will check that out, thanks.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned above the clear shrink wrap works great for the cells and should fix the issue. Never had an issue with my protected Orbtronic cells in my 62w though, what capacity are your cells? Is the tailcap a really tight fit when using the protected cells?

markr6

Flashaholic
$1.00 for 10 sleeves of clear shrink wrap. A 30 seconds with a hair dryer. Perfect fit...in many other lights I have too!

clear_wrap.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have both the sc62 and sc62w and am regretting it. I used orbtronic protected 18650s until realizing that the lights push in the button top because of the tight fit. I'm worried that it could cause issues to the batteries but have never run them on turbo for an extended period of time to find out. So I emailed zebralight and they suggested using the Sanyo unprotected 18650s they sell. So I ordered them and now there is a pretty bad battery rattle. Call me ocd but I absolutely can't stand battery rattle and now I won't use the lights because there will be either rattle or pushed in button tops. I emailed zebralight and no response.

Idk what to do, and this is very depressing since they were my favorite lights. Now I'm out 150.00 and am too broke to buy another light, and I will lose a lot of money if I try to sell them, but I doubt I'll even be able to since they are now becoming obsolete. Any suggestions are appreciated thanks.
I use the original version AW IMR 18650. No issues. There is a newer one with more capacity but it is hybrid so I cannot vouch for its size.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
As mentioned above the clear shrink wrap works great for the cells and should fix the issue. Never had an issue with my protected Orbtronic cells in my 62w though, what capacity are your cells? Is the tailcap a really tight fit when using the protected cells?

I have the 3500 mAh ones. The tail cap is pretty tight, enough to cause the button top to get pushed in.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
$1.00 for 10 sleeves of clear shrink wrap. A 30 seconds with a hair dryer. Perfect fit...in many other lights I have too!

clear_wrap.jpg

Where did you get your shrink wrap from? I see a lot of different links and options out there, and I have never shrink wrapped a batter before. Thanks.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3500 mAh ones. The tail cap is pretty tight, enough to cause the button top to get pushed in.

Hmm I'm guessing the 3500mah ones are longer than the 3100mah ones I have since mine hasn't had that issue. I use unprotected in mine though now and the shrink wrap solution should work :) I believe illumn is where mark purchased his from.

markr6

Flashaholic
Where did you get your shrink wrap from? I see a lot of different links and options out there, and I have never shrink wrapped a batter before. Thanks.

Illumn.com - there are many color wrappers as well, but can't comment on them since I've only used the clear.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, if you have too tight of a fit with doing shrink wrap on the entire body a 1/2" wide section around the middle works well. In one light even that was too tight but you can still get the battery out without ruining it....